Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any game that single handedly managed to revive your weakened interest in gaming?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Escape from the Pit, Wizardry 6-8, Grimoire, Arcane Dimensions, Neo Scavenger, Swordflight

duke nukem

Augur
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: WWII
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modernwarfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare(New soft reboot)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized
Call of Duty: Black Ops DS
Call of Duty: Black Ops DEclassified
Call of Duty: Online
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Force Recon
Call of Duty: Zombies and Zombies 2
Call of Duty: Strike Team
Call of Duty: Heroes
Call of Duty: Mobile

Cael

Arcane
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: WWII
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modernwarfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare(New soft reboot)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized
Call of Duty: Black Ops DS
Call of Duty: Black Ops DEclassified
Call of Duty: Online
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Force Recon
Call of Duty: Zombies and Zombies 2
Call of Duty: Strike Team
Call of Duty: Heroes
Call of Duty: Mobile
Someone call Duke Nuke 'em for this imbe- nevermind...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I play mostly simulations these days and you easily spend 1000s of hours on a single one.

Simulations are the future. Classic storyfag RPGs are cursed with mediocre developers and shitty engines, and worst of all increasingly politicized. I want to throw up when I see what passes as new RPGs these days,

Once someone makes a real open-world medieval sim you will see how quickly you become completely addicted. I had thought Vavra was going to do that but unfortunately he went popamole. Black Death and Medieval Dynasty are too shitty. But Mount and Blade already showed the way. And one day the mother of all games will come.

Gamezor

Learned
I play mostly simulations these days and you easily spend 1000s of hours on a single one.

Simulations are the future. Classic storyfag RPGs are cursed with mediocre developers and shitty engines, and worst of all increasingly politicized. I want to throw up when I see what passes as new RPGs these days,

Once someone makes a real open-world medieval sim you will see how quickly you become completely addicted. I had thought Vavra was going to do that but unfortunately he went popamole. Black Death and Medieval Dynasty are too shitty. But Mount and Blade already showed the way. And one day the mother of all games will come.

What are some of your favorites?

Curratum

Well I definitely can't make fun of him on that one :lol:

J3PAGK9.jpg

ETS2 is fantastic, though I barely treat it as a game, more like a chill de-stress sim to play while listening to some good music or some video/podcast/whatever. It's on a league of its own when it comes to relaxing games.

r4Y9aXa.jpg

I've only recently got the truck sims but they're so good, I don't even feel like playing anything else anymore. My "playing games" time is from 10pm to around midnight, so I really can't be fucking bothered with anything that is an actual "game".

Curratum

Demon's Souls was quite the soul stirrer when I played it.

These days though I've mostly grown tired of the Souls genre.

Sadly, I've found myself unable to enjoy a single game of the "genre" that is not made by From and I played a lot of them.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I should try the clones one of this days. Dark Souls seems to be the Doom of our days, and there's a few Doom clones i shunned back in the day for not bieng on par with the top shooters which turned out to be rather fun when i finally tried then.

BRO THE SURGE 2 IS FUN OFFERS SOME NEW TWISTS ON FORMULA

EQUIPMENT UPGRADES MOSTLY BY REMOVING OR DESTROYING APPROPRIATE LIMBS

Curratum

Demon's Souls was quite the soul stirrer when I played it.

Sort of related, Dark Souls is the only controller (pretty much) required game that I thought was worth dealing with using one. Usually it would just turn me off playing.

Played all 3 DS games on mouse and keyboard, no real issues, if anything - superior camera controls with the faster mouse swinging.

Pentium

Learned
Dark Souls games mentioned so many times in this thread but I just need to second that. I was probably never hooked so much since I was a little brat while playing those games. I can't say they've dragged me into the playing mood very much though. I seldom plundge myself into any heavy gaming these days, I can finish like 5 larger games a year tops, usually not even that (which is a good thing tbc). Some light MP gaming in the meantime. But I still keep my old PC with an actual CRT 14'' Hyundai monitor in shape to play ol' good stuff as I've never really played huge ammount of games. I dare to say I have pretty much enough fun guaranteed until coffin time.

Played all 3 DS games on mouse and keyboard, no real issues, if anything - superior camera controls with the faster mouse swinging.
Yeah, DS1 with a proper mousefix is most ok, you can even simplify some actions with additional binds.

So I decided to go for something more unusual and random to see if a miracle could happen. Installed Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars, from 1996.
Lol, I think I've got it installed on that old PC of mine mentioned above for years now. I still haven't got my ass to actually play it.

Curratum

I can't stand mouse control that feels like analog stick emulation, which that game obviously had.

What the fuck does that even mean? The mouse controls your camera, like in every other fucking third-person game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

What are some of your favorites?

X-Plane 11
DCS
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020
The Hunter Classic

The Hunter Call of the Wild (currently on massive discount)

Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game
Motorsport Manager
Elite Dangerous
Car Mechanic Simulator 2018
The Long Dark
Arma 3
Train Sim World
Spintires / Mudrunner

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
On the topic of Souls i think one of the things that helps is that those games have no precedents (King's Field doesn't really count).

There's some decent nu-games out there that's difficult to get too excited about since there's always a better precedent out there. Nu-Deus Ex may be a decent game but the original was better. Dishonored? Not bad but it ain't no Thief brah and so on. And even when those games manage to match the originals you still don't feel any hype since after so many years there should be vast improvements over the older classics but instead we get something that sorts of matches some aspect of their greatness (while falling short else where, often atmosphere or presentation), and that's the best case scenario.

The Souls games were both great and a totally new thing.

curds

Magister
Even though I had dabbled in gaming and RPGs for most of my life, it was discovering Fallout 1 and Gothic 1 circa 2015 that got me obsessed with PC gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom