Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Am I the only one who liked Gorasul? :oops:
I mean, it was so many years ago that I might just be remembering it wrong but I don't remember it being the irredeemable shit people seem to imply it is. Certainly nowhere near the Russian RPGs of the time.

It's not Russian shovelware bad, it's more Dungeon Lords level bad. Some interesting ideas, but poorly executed.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
sainttimmy suggested this game to me. i am deeply intrigued:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7999780

the actual box art of the game:

i-img900x1200-1605432138yp2bfc2636806.png

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i found a reliable source for the original version of Caribbean! on gog-games. Caribbean! is basically an intensely janky tribute to the Sea Dogs game series done in the Mount & Blade: Warband engine. after the sequel? revamped? version came out (Blood and Gold), you could no longer buy it

compared to it's later iteration, Blood and Gold: Caribbean, its got some teething issues, but it's still worth checking out if you want to see what the original version of the game was like. while i do not condone piracy (gog-games is basically this massive downloadable archive of gog's entire catalog, although they say you can technically share your games as long as you don't profit from doing so), i cannot think of any other reliable source to get this game

https://gog-games.com/game/caribbean

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks for this one, it seems to tick the right boxes, with party creation and plenty of races and classes especially, and searching for it in the Codex forums seems to trigger the right threads.
Then check Walls of Bratock and Vampyr: Talisman of Evocation as well. I remember they were early Ultima-inspired games as well.
Also does anyone know about DbQuest?
dbquest.png

00_coverscreenshot.jpg

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Is it just literally Rogue with a 3D graphical wrapper?
That is kind of cool actually; I have seen heaps of Rogue wrappers using tilesets, but never one that converted everything to first person. The attacking ASCII letters are hilarious.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Never heard of it before, but it immediately reminded me of Nahlakh.
Nah, Nahlakh is glorious Wizard's Crown clone and one of the best combatfag CRPGs ever. DBQuest is just clicking A (attack) - arrow key.

Skdursh

Savant
Is it only me or does this shady website make a lot more sense than GOG's own convoluted website? Much more organized and not cramped with flashy shit. And I really appreciate the display of what updated when.

Yeah, but it's a direct copy of an older website that was taken down awhile ago called GoodOldDownloads. Gog-Games also takes the majority of their content from other uploaders and then tries to get people to donate money to them for it. I'd personally recommend the Torrminatorr forums for GOG stuff, CSRIN for Steam or RuTracker if you're torrent-preferential. Gog-Games is okay for what it is, but it really is just run by someone trying to profit off of the creations and donations of others. Piracy is one thing, but then to actively try to profit off it when you aren't even the one purchasing the games nor the dude who made the website just irks me.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Then check Walls of Bratock and Vampyr: Talisman of Evocation as well. I remember they were early Ultima-inspired games as well.
If you're getting Bratock, either buy it (guy still sells it for some reason) or find the full version somewhere, I recall the shareware version being incredibly unfun.

Skdursh

Savant
Adding some more shit to the obscure list of games that I know almost nothing about but the screenshots look nice.

Goldenland: Cold Heaven - Russian only

Nightwatch - Another Russian game, but apparently with English text (might only be the menus, not sure if there is full English translation or not) Also, according to the comments seems to use some sort of wacky old DRM that can fuck up your computer unless you patch it properly, so be careful and use a VM.

Sabotain: Break the Rules - I'm sure many of you have heard of this, but I'm putting it here for anyone interested. Includes an English translation patch.

Sentient - A fantastic hidden gem of a game that I highly recommend if you like weird shit with unique gameplay elements. More of an adventure game than an RPG, but I think it's worthy of mention

The Fall: Last Days of Gaia - German game. English translation patch available under downloads.

Zlatogorye 2 - Russian only. Related to Goldenland.

Birthright - The Gorgon Alliance - The name sounds familiar so it might not be as obscure as some of the others on this list, but the screens look nice so I'll give it a shot.

I'm slowly making my way through all the DOS offerings on the site now to see if I can root out anymore interesting looking RPGs, so I'll probably add a handful more later.

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
Thanks for this one, it seems to tick the right boxes, with party creation and plenty of races and classes especially, and searching for it in the Codex forums seems to trigger the right threads.
Also does anyone know about DbQuest?

Yup, played all three of them. DBQuest was the only one I completed. Neat little game, but I remember the kill spell being overpowered.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I have a physical copy of this game ... in Spanish.

With the success of games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, there were Spanish distributors that brought us many RPGs that resembled those games, including Goldenland. So officially there are only two official versions of the game, in Russian and in Spanish.

Did you play it? What's your verdict?

Sotomonte

Educated
Did you play it? What's your verdict?

Well, I've been playing it for a long time (almost 20 years?) And didn't finish it (I might just reinstall it and try again).

The gameplay is very similar to the Fallouts, for example, you could recruit companions that you did not control directly during the combats, but its system was weaker, more crude (if that is possible) and simpler. Of course you did not find characters or missions as interesting as in the Fallout series.

I remember that it was advisable to put points in a certain skill because otherwise the random encounters when you traveled around the map were constant and it became boring.

The game had an Eastern European aesthetic which, like it or not, was a little fresh air after so much medieval fantasy world with Western European aesthetics.

But really, I don't remember much about it.

lightbane

Arcane
I have a physical copy of this game ... in Spanish.

With the success of games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, there were Spanish distributors that brought us many RPGs that resembled those games, including Goldenland. So officially there are only two official versions of the game, in Russian and in Spanish.
Funny, so do I! Or the first Goldenland game, I'm not sure. I don't even know if it works for W7-10 to boot. Or where I left the game disk to begin with.
From a glance it indeed seemed like a Fallout 1 janky thing, but I didn't play it much.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Brilliant, it works. Last file is in English. Orcs and Elves 1 is a very simple but really tight little dungeon crawler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom