Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
They could have gone for a softer type of level scaling, aka stat requirements.

Gargaune

Magister
With Deus Ex people forget about it since nobody ever plays full rambo, due to the actual gunplay being 100% avoidable thanks to all the stealth tools, and on the highest difficulty level direct combat is really undesirable due to the lethality. The horrible gunplay is basically punishment for not playing the game right.
Who needs guns when you have

Dragon's_Tooth_Sword.jpg
Can you put a scope on it? No? Well there you have it. True UNATCO agents crawl through your air conditioning holding a 10mm Pistol with more mods than a Skyrim install.

Paul_cz

Arcane
"Remember, everything in this game is shit because it's an RPG, so don't complain you pleb!!"

It absolutely is moronic to expect RPG game to be best at every individual thing it does. Making open world RPGs is just about the most difficult thing developer can choose to make precisely because there are so many possibilities and components to it. Making a game that has stealth system, melee combat system, unarmed combat system, shooting system, car and bike driving system, character progression system, interactive dialogue system, non-linear quest and narrative system all in one game is vastly greater undertaking than making Call of Duty 25 or FIFA 43.

I am glad about every RPG like that that gets actually made, because making them is hard as fuck. And even if they are not as good at those individual aspects as games that focus on one or two of those exclusively, who cares? Open world RPGs are still better and more interesting games.

You lads can suck off the game and have arguments over artstyle all you want. I still have this incredible feeling that the game will be absolutely broken and unstable. That'd be fine if this was a normal low profile eurojank release. But I can see this game getting slaughtered by the mainstream media and normies if it turns out to be really glitchy. Time will tell.

>"But the previews didn't say anything about bugs"

Lots of previews say nothing about bugs. It wouldn't surprise me if (((jurnos))) had to sign an NDA saying they can't talk about certain things. That's standard practice.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Except previews actually did mention that in the build they played from beginning of november, there were bugs. Nothing gamebreaking, but there were still quite a lot of glitches. CDP is aware of those, but it is obvious they will not fix everything for launch and there will be patches, as there are for every RPG ever made.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Problem I see why this game is that I can already imagine the praise it will get being translated to "it's the best RPG ever made", when so far I've seen nothing that makes me think "wow, what a great RPG!".
This is because it is extremely hard to convey in a non-boring trailer how good of an RPG a game is. Even New Vegas' trailer was composed 80% of shooting and explosions, and no dialogue to be seen (that I recall).

In other words: what do we know about this game that will make it a great RPG, as opposed to a great action-adventure/GTA clone+CYOA in a cyberpunk setting? Though I very much enjoyed The Witcher 1, it gave me the same vibes these trailers are giving me: it's a fun game, but the "roleplaying" is not so much in the mechanics as it is in being able to choose how quests unfold.

What I am getting from various recent previews is that combat is very RPGish actually, when you start off it feels unsatisfying and weak, enemies are hitpoint bloated etc, but after you get enough perks, skills, etc and better weapons, people enjoy it more. For example, facing an enemy with a peashooter and no skills/perks, it takes a while to take them down, but with that magnum revolver with upgrades, and headshot perk, etc, it would go down smooth and easy. Of course it remains to be seen how it all actually works.

Zer0wing

Cipher

Lots of previews say nothing about bugs. It wouldn't surprise me if (((jurnos))) had to sign an NDA saying they can't talk about certain things. That's standard practice.
The only authorized russian preview has entire paragraph dedicated to bugs.
There are bugs, but none of them were critical
Despite the fact that the game was repeatedly delayed, there are still bugs in it. However, none of them were critical: during 16 hours of gameplay, the game never crashed and all the saves were in place. Those bugs that I encountered usually were some small things — a bottle or a package floating in the air. Twice there was a bug with the lighting in the room, which caused the skin of the characters turn gray. And the textures on some vending machines were not loaded.

So all the errors that I noticed were primarily related to the visual part of the game. And none of them affected the gameplay.
source

Even through all madnatory dicksucking, you can still read "Eurojank" all over it.

Quillon

Arcane
what do we know about this game that will make it a great RPG, as opposed to a great action-adventure/GTA clone+CYOA in a cyberpunk setting?

"GTA clone+CYOA in a cyberpunk setting?"

Because what a shit game that would make omg right? lmao. GTA is, has always been quality shit, add all that RPG goodness on top = qualitier shit :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

These are previews, not reviews. It's normal for journos to ignore glitches and focus on the bigger picture in previews, with the understanding that they're not representative of the final game, although I agree that it's weirder in a preview published three weeks before a game's release.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
roblem I see why this game is that I can already imagine the praise it will get being translated to "it's the best RPG ever made"

When you consider the people saying that I don't see that as a bad thing as they have given that distinction to games that frankly never deserved it anyway.
Should point out I have no issues with Cyberpunk 2077 I mean looking at it I should have a good time with it. Just disappointed with some of the direction they've taken and I'm channelling that disappointment into my own work as a result.

Also 3 GB VRam Minimum. God damn. I might have to get a new GPU. NICE! My Ti has just enough to play it. Phew lucky I spent the extra money.

NullFlow

Savant
I've crawled through plenty of English and international media with their impressions of the 16 hour preview and some were very open about the visual and gameplay bugs as the elephant in the room. I'd wager they're being more generous because there is a day one patch that could correct a good deal of them (and they also have to be cheerleaders for big AAA releases). One French previewer said it's better than Bethesda's games in polishing, which isn't exactly high praise, but nothing gamebreaking at least.

Sucks to read about level-gated weapons. It made no sense in TW3 and boggles my mind they decided to keep it for Cyberpunk. Just have higher level weapons control like shit until you have an acceptable stat to reach mastery with it.

Gargaune

Magister

RTX 2060 for a Medium raytracing config at 1080p or a 3070 for Ultra at 1440p? I've got my 2070 plugged into an old 1680x1050 screen still, so my inner graphics whore is getting hopeful again. Also, CPU seems to be less of a hog than in early impressions.

32GB not utilized... isn't this supposed to be an envelope-pushing PC game? What a failure.
Thankfully, we have plenty of Codexers to pick up the slack and push the envelope on absurd complaints.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
32GB not utilized... isn't this supposed to be an envelope-pushing PC game? What a failure.
I don't want to break it to you, but you just threw your money out of the window with buying 32GB. Why would you need that for anything?
I think if your game runs out of VRAM it will try to use your RAM next, but that's about all the utility of 32 GB RAM you can have right now.

ultimanecat

Arcane
If CDPR can get the game running on the equivalent of 2012 gaming laptop hardware seen in the XBone and PS4, of course it’s going to run at 900p 30 FPS on low settings on anything remotely better than that.

Which is honestly reassuring for the low end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom