Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game/s you played on PC.

Ghostar

Literate
Hi All,

I've bought my first PC on 1991. a nice XT with 1mb or less of RAM, without HD and monochromatic monitor, also with a Quickshot joystick.
Same day i purchased (pirated) my first 3 video games:

ITALIA 90

Strip Poker: A Sizzling Game of Chance (Artworx Strip Poker)

poker-320.png

F-16 Combat Pilot

What about you?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
We had a thread on this not long ago, but mine was Space Quest 3. My mother played adventure games and that's how I got into PC gaming. She'd play adventure games with me and then when I got older I bought some of my own like Doom and Lands of Lore.

typical user

Arbiter
Spider-man by Neversoft also released on PSX. Never finished it because I couldn't focus from adrenaline caused by Monster-Ok chase. :negative:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Spacola on the Atari ST

You had to deliver Cola bottles to the correct space stations, that you looked up in the manual, while destroying space pirates, and any other hazards in your way.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Earliest PC memories were designing planes in Flight Simulator 4.0 and playing Sierra’s Manhunter 2. The latter came with a hint book and red view window thing so you could read the hints since they were obscured by a red overlay. Definitely should not have been playing it because it terrified 6 year old me - dead mutants, floating eyeballs, and Phil the villain all eventually made me too scared to walk past my dad’s home office at night.

Manhunter%202%20-%20San%20Francisco_5.png

Manhunter%202%20-%20San%20Francisco_6.png

Manhunter%202%20-%20San%20Francisco_2.png

CyberModuled

Arbiter
System Shock 2 on a crusty laptop. Remember being underwhelmed by Bioshock Infinite even back during my low console standards so I wanted to see where the series sort of branched out of with NightDive's re-release in 2013. I couldn't look back afterwards and started plans for a PC build while making a list of PC exclusive shit I wanted to play.

Falksi

Arcane
I started with 3 absolute corkers........

X-Wing......

v1GQPDM.jpg

Baldur's Gate.......

t4dqyQI.jpg

X-Com..........

1D73t9u.jpg

I got a shit football game too, but can never remember which one it was.

Obv X-wing & X-com had been out a while, but that made no difference to how much I enjoyed them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't remember what I played on a PC for the first time (maybe it was Prince of Persia or Prehistorik). But I remember what I played on my very first own PC. A demo of Unreal Tournament 99. And since I didn't have any other game for a long time, I played that game a lot. Thankfully it was a meaty demo, with lots of maps and gamemodes.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If I remember correctely it was:

- various GBA and SNES emulated games
- CS 1.6 (played a couple of matches in a dude bro LAN party I stumbled upon in a resort)
- GTA San Andreas
- Ocarina of Time (project64 emulator)
- Morrowind

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

I got my first PC when I was 3 years old, and the guy who gave it to my father also installed a bunch of games to give me something to do with it. I remember Monkey Island 2, Commander Keen 4, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Hexen, Heretic, and a bunch of other stuff. What a bro. Being 3 years old, I obviously was completely unable to understand what was going on in MI2, I couldn't even read... but oh boy, I remember having a blast with it.

Reality

Learned
King's Quest (SCI version) or Creatures 2
OIP.jlhRH0jxHgE6XFvBuHA_xAAAAA

OIP.zv9gWUG9FK9vnjbZ9yMvigHaFI

I had Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and Catz pretty early as well, but I'm pretty sure these 2 are the only contenders for "first".

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Hmm, besides nameless and random DOS Shareware games I think the first proper games I remember ever playing on PC were Blakestone, Wolfenstein 3D and the Lord of the Rings RPG on my dad's computer.

I remember being very impressed with the full-motion video cutscenes from the Lord of the Rings game which were taken from the 70s animated adaptations. At that point my only vidya exposure had been the Nintendo and the SNES so it was pretty mind-blowing to see MULTI MEDIA !!! coming out of a video game.

Interestingly I remember not being very impressed at all with Blakestone and Wolfenstein 3D, I found them confusing to play and would've much rather played a SHMUP like Raptor instead ^_^

This doesn't mean I was a PC gamer yet, tho, I didn't actually become a "real" PC gamer until later on when I got hooked on Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate and Arcanum. That was when I began the shift to the PC and started treating gaming on a PC as my primary gamer life-validator.

EDIT: Another one I had fun with early on on my da's computer were the Crusader: No Remorese and Crusader: No Regret games. I never finished them tho until I played the PS1 versions.

f6e4cdf5a09832607cd72cb21d212ee2fcc9070b0e0af0e2c6f2eaee67d00517_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends on the definition of PC. My first game was Tunnels of Doom:

iu

My first IBM PC game was Ultima VI:
iu

... with various earlier Ultimas, Gold Box and Sierra games on different platforms (mainly C-64).

Silly Germans

I can't recall which was the first, but i think it was either Batman, Chaos Engine, Dynablaster and/or Turrican on Amiga. I can recall the Batman Amiga game pretty well since my father was cursing Batman all the time for being such a wimp, dying after talking only 10 hits or so. The game was great, it had a side scroller, a racing section, a flying section and i think some riddles with the bat computer. One of the better movie adaption games; could also be the reason why i like the Tim Burton Batman movies the most.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Dangerous Dave, one of John Romero's early games. Ridiculous amounts of secrets in this one. Like 30% of the game is secrets. Also its pretty basic and shite, tbqh, but I remember having a great time playing it at my mother's office PC while waiting the time between school and dentist (I had about a year of my life go to frequent dentist visits for reasons).
When I got my own PC, the first game I played was either a European Wars Cossacks demo, or a Fallout Tactics demo, or a No One Lives Forever demo, or maybe even one Johnny Walker advertisement game where you shoot at ducks or something? One of those. But at that point I had already been spending my lunch money at internet cafes playing the usual LAN suspects, and Delta Force which for some reason was popular in my region.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't remember many of the games I played on PC before "Jazz Jackrabbit"

I played on an ATARI ST games like "Black Lamp" and "R-Type" and loads more. There was this isometric game with a spintop where you had to cross rooms, can't remember the games name, I am getting old.

EDIT: Mousetrap as well

EDIT²: I switched pretty fast to TBS games though like "Battle Isle" etc. and games like "Transport Tycoon". The latter can be enjoyed as OpenTTD on modern systems still btw.

I am also hyped with like two other people by the soon to be released "Battle Bugs" on steam.

EDIT³: Oh yes, "Bubble Ghost"

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom