Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
today I will be your Infinitron:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...ure-playing-elden-ring-and-more/1100-6484316/

How much of Elden Ring have you seen? Can you tell me anything?

[Laughs] I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit.

Oh, man.

I can't tell you much other than, as somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done. I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it. I love seeing him challenging himself, he's a good friend of mine, expanding his horizons. I think it's a good thing.

When he has me play, I go over, he has to leave the room. He doesn't want to... I think that's because I'm a bad player, and then when he comes back and then we'll have a conversation about things that I think. He's so passionate about what he does. It's one of the things I just love about getting to work with him on some of these games and seeing them come to our platform.

gm-1ced9237-c4ec-4ec1-a817-f7a613e6f11c-phil-spencer.jpg

I don't like consoles and don't care about them, but that Phil guy look 500% Chad

Last edited:

Vyadhis

Learned
God I hope the game doesn't take cues from western titles like The Witcher 3...just make the combat enjoyable and add exploration/openness like the first half of Dark Souls 1. I'm really cynical about the whole George R.R. Martin thing, feels super unnecessary.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Inb4 it turns out that Phil convinced Miyazaki to have Elden Ring be a timed exclusive for Xbox Series X

wahrk

Learned
I'm really cynical about the whole George R.R. Martin thing, feels super unnecessary.

Why? From what I can tell it seems like he was only involved in helping create the world and background lore for the game. I doubt that it’s going to make or break the game either way, but having some outside inspiration might keep the world from being a retread of the same ideas Miyazaki’s already done.

Vyadhis

Learned
I'm really cynical about the whole George R.R. Martin thing, feels super unnecessary.

Why? From what I can tell it seems like he was only involved in helping create the world and background lore for the game. I doubt that it’s going to make or break the game either way, but having some outside inspiration might keep the world from being a retread of the same ideas Miyazaki’s already done.
Good points, if he's just influencing the lore and adding cool stuff that's fine I just don't want some big sprawling story heavy "epic" adventure. I don't want The Witcher 3: Jrpg edition but I doubt that would happen anyway and yeah I know George didn't write the Witcher that's just an example I like to use.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Yeah, this has me feeling a little cautious. There are other authors who might fit FromSoft better. Isn't he more interested in tax systems than metaphysics lol.

George R R Martin isn't that well known for mythic themes in the psychological sense, but Dark Souls was Jungian as fuck; there was an ocean (primordial chaos) under everything (reality/the land), with things becoming more dreamlike the further down you went (into raw information and the subconscious). The universe was in a constant state of entropic decay (like civilization), and the duty of the individual was to delay the entropy by upholding fire, just like ancient Norse (delaying Ragnarok), ancient Egyptian (preserving Ma'at) and ancient Hindu (preserving Rta, delaying the Kali Yuga) and Christian (preserving Logos). FromSoft are kinda doing a big service by making games so unapologetically philosophical, and I hope Elden Ring continues. People see hints of both Celtic and Norse myth in the trailer.

tumblr_psvgf97T1U1rr6091o3_500.gifv

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
George R R Martin however is definitely known for delaying his products. Man, this sounds so familiar...

Spent way too much work on the tv series, would be a miracle if we even see the second last book in the series getting released.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Want some Onion?

The Con Pays Off: After Years Of Feigning Interest, George R.R. Martin Has Bolted From The ‘Elden Ring’ Offices With All The Topless Elf Concept Art His Arms Can Carry

Sometimes playing the long game can really pay off, gamers, and we’re really seeing it this week as one fantasy legend just cashed in all his chips. That’s right! After over a year of feigning interest in helping out drafting the story to Hidetaka Miyazaki’s latest title Elden Ring, George R.R. Martin just bolted from the FromSoftware offices with all the topless elf concept art his arms could carry!

Credit where credit is due, Martin just played us all for chumps and made off like a felon with an endless supply of half-nude drawings of elves.

“When George R.R. Martin first agreed to help write the backstory to my upcoming title, I had no reason to suspect that this was all part of a long con to secure himself thousands of sketches of undressed nymphs and sorceresses,” said Miyazaki, describing his deep dismay at watching a gleeful Martin sprinting out of the office. “Because he took so many, the papers kept getting caught in the wind and blowing onto the street, and then even more would fall out of his arms when he stopped to pick them up. And the whole time he kept chuckling and saying what a bunch of suckers everyone at FromSoftware was for buying his story hook, line, and sinker.”

“What confuses me is that I specifically told George that he was more than welcome to look at this concept art while in the office, and he just smiled and said ‘Oh, Hidetaka, I won’t be needing to do that,’” he continued.

Sources within the FromSoftware office describe their suspicion about Martin’s intentions while observing the A Song of Ice And Fire author stuffing some of the nude drawings of the game’s fairies and mythical woodfolk under his hat early this morning while whistling “We’re In The Money” to himself. However, most dismissed the possibility after considering that Martin had already invested three years in writing a 150,000-word treatment about Elden Ring’s storyline. FromSoftware staff only confirmed Martin’s departure when the visibly nervous fantasy writer loudly announced that he had to “take a break” and then edged out of the office building with a 10-foot-high stack of half-dressed elf drawings in his arms shouting about how “it was all too easy” to pull one over on the FromSoftware dolts.

Looks like Martin played all of us, and he played us good!

“Once he was out in the street, we could all hear him bragging about how he could look at a different picture of a nude elf for the rest of his life and never repeat,” said Miyazaki, noting that he was hurt to hear the special amount of scorn Martin seemed to harbor towards himself given their close collaboration on developing the game’s lore. “He was going on and on about how we were all slack-jawed rubes for not seeing through his scheme. And he seemed amazed that all he had to do was write a 350-page video game treatment and now he got all the ‘elf erotica’ he could ever want and might never write another word again.”

“Pretty soon he got winded, though, and just started looking at the drawings on the sidewalk,” he concluded.

Welp, gamers, looks like George R.R. Martin might be out at FromSoftware’s latest gorefest. Thankfully, it sounds like that might not be the last we hear of him, as the industry titan has already started posting online daily about how much he’s enjoying looking at all his new elf drawings.
1gdCi06.jpg

Sauce

cruel

Cipher
It seems we are going to get a new Elden Ring trailer finally during Game Awards today. It's sad it will be put between a strong tranny game winning so many awards though.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It seems we are going to get a new Elden Ring trailer finally during Game Awards today. It's sad it will be put between a strong tranny game winning so many awards though.

As if.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Eagerly waiting to see how much wokeness Martin was able to shove into this shit. I have a feeling i'm going regret shitting on DS3 for bieng so vague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom