Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

geno

Savant
Check your mail
Thanks for backing us.
Because you backed Phoenix Point before March 12, 2019, you are entitled to a free key for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on your platform of choice. For now, please take our one-question survey below, so we can get you the key in time for launch on Thursday, December 3!

Also note: you are additionally entitled to keys for DLCs 3, 4, and 5 when they release. We will deliver your keys to those via the platform you choose on the survey, when they become available.

Note: GOG.com is not available for Mac users. We apologize for the inconvenience.
how this game compares to xenonauts gameplay wise?
also during the kickstarter they showed some gigantic monsters roaming the globe that you could land on their back, are those in?
Very different approachs. Xeno is almost old X-Com with a new coat of paint. PP is its own thing for the bad and for the good (I can't see how people see it like a nuCOM clone, besides the UI)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Very different approachs. Xeno is almost old X-Com with a new coat of paint. PP is its own thing for the bad and for the good (I can't see how people see it like a nuCOM clone, besides the UI)
Common complaint is that art design is similar to Xcom 2, especially PP armors.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Oh lord.

It is not about the art style alone, the whole setting changed. When PP was first announced (even before the fig campaign) they said it is going to be a horror setting, The Thing (the original one) and lovecraftian horror was mentioned, also the factions at that point looked post apocalyptic. Than they changed the game setting to generic scifi. So yes the whole setting changed from something original to something boring streamlined.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh lord.

It is not about the art style alone, the whole setting changed. When PP was first announced (even before the fig campaign) they said it is going to be a horror setting, The Thing (the original one) and lovecraftian horror was mentioned, also the factions at that point looked post apocalyptic. Than they changed the game setting to generic scifi. So yes the whole setting changed from something original to something boring streamlined.
"Boring" is the key, for the whole game. And soulless.

BTW welcome back, PanteraNera

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got access to build that is closer to what is coming on December 3rd. Hype guys, it is pretty awesome. And new tutorial is very cool, I suggest that everyone tries it once.
It is disabled for Legendary difficulty.
Anyone that has been waiting to jump in, it is time to do that on December 3rd.

EDIT: I cannot give you images or more info without breaking NDA and being kicked out.
You will see it all in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I thought people should play it even before the update. It's a decent modern xcom in a genre of slim pickings. But the update sounds cool.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I got access to build that is closer to what is coming on December 3rd. Hype guys, it is pretty awesome. And new tutorial is very cool, I suggest that everyone tries it once.

EDIT: I cannot give you images or more info without breaking NDA and being kicked out.
Where does the team stand, DLC wise?
Aren't there 2 more to come with the KS edition?
Did your build include one of these?

ArchAngel

Arcane

There is 3 more DLC coming. New DLC is coming at start of 2021, not with Year One. Year One will have DLC 1 (bionics) and DCL2 (Ancients) as part of it.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Since the release they stand at let's just scrap all the DLC's that were planed and announced in the KS campaign.

They replaced it with five new DLC's which were to be released in 2020, two got released so far.
there are five Phoenix Point DLCs in the works, to be released at regular intervals over the course of 2020
That didn't happen, Festering Skies the third and most interesting DLC was to be released in July 2020.
as Snapshot Games have said that the five DLCs will be released at regular intervals throughout 2020, we can likely expect Festering Skies to drop around July 2020. The DLC banner on the Epic Store had the release date pegged as July 1st 2020 before it was removed and replaced with the old familiar “TBD”, but we can reasonably expect a summer release for this DLC.
source

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Since the release they stand at let's just scrap all the DLC's that were planed and announced in the KS campaign.
Notably, Floating Base and underwater missions. Not that it matters, given the wreck this game is.

84M9CkZ.jpg

PanteraNera

Arcane
It might have been called a wreck at one time but it is no longer
Well the question is from what perspective you are looking at it.
If you look from what they showed and talked about around fig and before it is a wreck as they changed and scrapped a shitload of things. Setting, enemies (Behemoth, Juggernaut, Pianist ...) visuals (and with that feeling of the game) for all factions and other stuff I am to lazy to mention.

The game may have (technicaly) improved, I do not know as I haven't touched the game since the first DLC release (that was the only time you were upset about PP, remember? I do!).

Brinko

Arcane
It might have been called a wreck at one time but it is no longer
I'd call it more of an embarrassment then a wreck. Gollop seems to have fallen into this delusional mindset that he alone was the mastermind behind XCOM and now 30 years later has proven he can't even make a better game than Solomon's Xcom games and that is such a low bar I'd find dinosaur bones before it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The game is far from a wreck now, at least with the dlc and stuff. It is pretty good in fact. But I can imagine it sucked at release. It is only just about good enough now. But still, it is decent now. If they could build on it with dlc or updates or sequels or whatever, I'd buy it. I wouldn't play the same thing again though but it was worth a play.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Any inside information on what the price will be ArchAngel ?
Don't know, we don't talk about stuff like that. Only about gameplay changes.
I expect Year One edition will be same like normal edition that is now sold on Epic but you will also get two DCL as part of it (and maybe the third small backer one as well), but this is has not been stated by any devs, just my guess.

geno

Savant
Has the manual aiming changed since the release or will it change with the YO edition? I found it poorly implemented. I wonder if it could improve just limiting the zoom or force autoaim when you are pointing an enemy (like, you know, what we saw in the fig video and I think the first alpha had it too)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Buy it now so they can maybe make an even better game in the future. Or get it on a sale for dorrah and they will switch to making indie shovelware battle royale and walking simulators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom