Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game/s you played on PC.

Lagi

Savant
jazz jackrabbit 1 - the last 3 episode.
This is the final boss, that we beat in coop with my cousin (he was pressing space, and changing weapons. I was running around)
maxresdefault.jpg

robbo - shop clerk shovel this to my parents, I hate this game.
Robbo.jpg

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Sometimes i miss the simplistic abstractions some old games provided they look amazing in their own right.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's hard to say really. Here are the earliest PC games (not edutainment) I remember playing:

Outpost
Bioforge
System Shock
Lords of Magic
Lords of the Realm 2
7th Guest
Doom
Warcraft

So around 1994 was my introduction to PC gaming proper.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interestingly I remember not being very impressed at all with Blakestone and Wolfenstein 3D, I found them confusing to play and would've much rather played a SHMUP like Raptor instead ^_^

Same for me as a kid. I really loved platformers and adventure games when I was a kid, they were my favorite genres from ages 3-6 or so, until I discovered strategy games and later RPGs.

I had some early FPS games but they really didn't do anything for me. I was probably 4 or 5 when I first played some FPS. I remember having Ken's Labyrinth, and later my dad had Nitemare 3D on his laptop. Neither are particularly great examples of the FPS genre, but I don't think I would have liked Wolfenstein 3D either, which is considered a classic and the granddaddy of the genre. Wolf 3D was insanely popular and spawned the entire FPS genre, but I just didn't get it back then... and I still don't really get those early FPS.

I started playing Doom at some point in my 20s and have come to love it, but anything pre-Doom or those so-called "Doom clones" that are more like Wolf 3D clones just doesn't do anything for me. The level design of those early FPS games is just way too limited. There is no Z axis, it's just a flat plane with no verticality whatsoever.

Thanks to those early experiences with FPS games that just weren't any fun to me, I pretty much ignored the genre until I reached my mid teens and picked up Half Life.
Back in the day I'd rather play Commander Keen or Jazz Jackrabbit over those clunky FPS games. I really didn't understand the craze for 3D as a kid at all, because 2D games had way better gameplay.

Kwota

Augur
First game I played on PC was Doom.

First game I played on my own PC was either Terminal Velocity and/or Descent 2.

Atrachasis

Augur
Spacola on the Atari ST

You had to deliver Cola bottles to the correct space stations, that you looked up in the manual, while destroying space pirates, and any other hazards in your way.

Good heavens, I actually remember Spacola. That was a Public Domain game, right?

Don't even remember what my first one was (also on the Atari ST). The SubLogic Flight Simulator II? Tass Times in Tonetown (an early Interplay title... at least I was on the right track...)?

Citizen

HoMM2-3, Master of Orion 3 and Worms Armageddon, not sure about the exact order but that were the disks my dad had when he let me use his pc. The first game I asked my parents for as a kid was Age of Wonders Shadow Magic (saw it in some magazine), and the first I got myself with my own summer job money was HoMM5

Curratum

First played Karateka at a family friend's computer. Then played Operation Wolf and Ski or Die at the office PC of a friend's dad.

On the first PC I owned, first games I played were Dscump, Evasive Maneuvers and a 3D first-person arkanoid clone called Breakfree. Man, those were the days...

curds

Magister
Age of Empires 1. We got it for free in Nutrigrain (breakfast cereal) boxes in Australia in the early 2000s. I think I was about five at the time. Still playing AoE (2 at least) to this day.

JDR13

Arcane
For PC, I think it was either Doom or X-Wing.

First game I played on any kind of computer was Dungeons of Daggorath on a TRS-80 Color Computer.

Dungeons_of_Daggorath_cover.png

apps.19031.13510798887575619.40909ff3-3ead-422b-add8-70fb5c2a3eee.e48c66cb-0e07-44e0-b4f0-b26f53fbb24d

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
From my thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/memory-lane-which-were-your-first-games-on-the-pc.125387/

Stunts
Racing / 1990
DOS

Played this on my 386 Pentium boasting 32 megabytes of RAM. Car models actually looked pretty decent. Amazingly, you could design your own custom tracks with various obstacles and ramps via track editor, which is what made this game really stand out.

Wolf 3D
FPS / 1992

One of my first floppy games. Really atmospheric for such a rudimentary game. Did much with so little.

wolfensein-3d.png

Exodus
Arcade / 1992

I have no idea how this game came into my possession. Played it on a floppy disk. It was sort of a Christian trivia game with arcade gameplay. You control Moses (I believe?), shoot enemies, collects pots and answer questions. Gameplay was not unlike another old game called Tanks.

Mind Maze
Quiz / ?

I believe this game shipped with the Microsoft Encarta CD (a kind of early digital encyclopedia). I never finished it, but in this game you explore a castle by answering questions. It was somewhat a crawler-like experience, now that I think of it.

mindmaze_1.jpg

mindmaze_2.jpg

mindmaze_3.jpg

mindmaze_4.jpg

mindmaze_5.jpg

mindmaze_6.jpg

8EDx2Sp.jpg

Captain Claw
Platform / 1997

Okay this is probably one of the hardest, most nerve-racking games in existence. I never got very far. However, I fondly remember the voice overs and memorable environments. Elaborate level design with countless secrets really resonated with me. Furthermore, you could chose from a list of elaborately-constructed custom levels. Anyway, I later realized these were the same devs who created Blood (!).

POD
Racing / 1997

Futuristic racing game with seemingly cool vehicle designs and bad controls. Quite a rudimentary game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Can't remember the absolute first, but the first to really stay with me were these two, played literally hotseat with a neighbour bro. Whenever it was his turn I would continue reading from a 10-volume annotated translation of the Romance.

romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-ii_6.png

350px-Scorched_Earth_gameplay.png

680x0

Learned
1st: (I think) PANGO a clone of Sega's Pengo
1st game to engross me: King's Quest 1 & 2
1st CRPG: Stuart Smith's River of Light in ACS
1st CRPG to REALLY engross me: Wasteland

Other early PC games that stick in my mind:
A Mind Forever Voyaging
THEXDER
Uninvited (1st panic shutdown)
Leisure Suit Larry 1 (1st video game induced boner)

Platform: Sperry PC, 8088 with EGA card circa 1987.

Ash

Arcane
Don't know for sure.

Prince of Persia (DOS), Duke Nukem 3D, Age of Empires, Thief, Broken Sword. Those are my earliest memories of PC gaming, as well as Deer Hunter and Desktop destroyer (gimmick stuff). But there is probably something I don't remember. I just played anything and everything I could get my hands on. Golden era of game design. Console, pc, handheld it didn't matter. I was rightly addicted.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • Doom and Diablo - both were on my friend's PC and his tiny 11-13" monitor (don't remember the actual size) - couldn't see shit, Doom was fast and in regards to Diablo - I've thought the dying guy in the pool of blood was a drunkard lying in a pool of wine
  • Captain Claw - at another friend's slightly better PC - was impressed by the terrific sprites and smooth animations
  • my first shitty office PC - minesweeper and solitaire, it was pretty much the only thing it could run in addition to some top-down racing game
  • my proper gaming PC was when I've started high school - bought $1.500 PC to play FarCry and Half-Life, ended up playing Fallout 2 and GBA emulator
P.S. also spent crazy amounts of money playing CS and UT99 in internet cafes before I got my proper gaming PC, switched to spending a crazy amount of money playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on a 56k modem.

spectre

Arcane
It all started with a bundle of three games:
Screenshot-5.png

I remember not needing the manual to answer the copy protection questions after a bit.

subwar1.png

While I admit, the 10 year old me was too dumb to finish it at the time, the game (and the manual) made a lasting expression.
I made a switch from Atari 65 XE, so it was like something from another planet.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, and I got an RPG as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom