Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloudpunk

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It's a good game. I was forced to buy it because the pirates were lazy and would not upload a torrent of it.
The atmosphere is great, the story is mediocre and the gameplay is very immersive.
It's a game you play to chill but not for adrenaline. It is slow paced and exploration based.
Definitely worth a try but be warned that it requires a good gpu while the graphics aren't that good.
Maybe they optimized it by now, it's been a while since I finished it.

Blake00

Learned
Wow this looks and sounds awesome as the new cockpit has massive Blade Runner vibes, the taxi reminds me of 5th Element and that creepy stormy sky reminds me of Highlander 2 lol!

Considering I was more looking forward to driving around Cyberpunk 2077's city at night listening to synth tunes instead of just running around shooting people then I suspect this little game will be right up my alley! Apparently you get your own apartment in a sky scraper with a balcony looking over the city that you can decorate and play retro video games in, so hmm yup that's got me written all over it too lol! Although yet again my old computer probably can't even run this one either arrrgh haha!

cloudpunk1.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Indeed. From what I've seen there is no gameplay. Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Casually flying around delivering packages taking in the sights while a lame story is told to you does not a game make. Game makers and game players need to understand this. There is zero challenge, there are no rigid rules or goals beyond "Go here to hear next story beat", there is only extremely basic interaction in this "game".
Interactive experiences are valid media for whoever likes that shit, yet not valid when classified as games. I wish works like these weren't sold on the same shelves as, with similar price tags to, and most importantly similar labeling as actual games like Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas or Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
They're selling this shit for 20 bucks? Lol OK. Make it 2 bucks to more accurately reflect value and man hours/finances/time invested relative to actual games...though I still wont buy it.

Of course supply and demand wins. there's no shortage of people that will shell out 20 bucks for the privilege to have their time wasted and love their sad state of boredom because they don't know better.

Blake00

Learned
They should have made a racing game or a cyberpunk crazy taxi game.

Apparently Cloudpunk includes a 'street' racing league you can take part in for cash. I've seen that they're planning on expanding on it in future updates presumably it's nothing amazing at the moment.

looks suspiciously nice.
It's a good game. I was forced to buy it
Wow this looks and sounds awesome
Sorry, what? Nothing is happening in the gameplay vids. You can do this yourself by playing synthwave in your car at night.

You drive a flying car and live in a futuristic city in the clouds? Cool! Can I visit?

Indeed. From what I've seen there is no gameplay. Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Casually flying around delivering packages taking in the sights while a lame story is told to you does not a game make. Game makers and game players need to understand this. There is zero challenge, there are no rigid rules or goals beyond "Go here to hear next story beat", there is only extremely basic interaction in this "game".
Interactive experiences are valid media for whoever likes that shit, yet not valid when classified as games. I wish works like these weren't sold on the same shelves as, with similar price tags to, and most importantly similar labeling as actual games like Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas or Hollow Knight.
They're selling this shit for 20 bucks? Lol OK. Make it 2 bucks to more accurately reflect value and man hours/finances/time invested relative to actual games...though I still wont buy it.

Of course supply and demand wins. there's no shortage of people that will shell out 20 bucks for the privilege to have their time wasted and love their sad state of boredom because they don't know better.

No Ash, everyone else does NOT need to understand what a game is, you need to understand what one is. Google is your friend lol..

Game
noun
An activity that one engages in for amusement or fun.

Mate just cause you've spent the last 20+ years scratching your head wondering why people enjoy flight sims, driving sims, VR walking sims, immersion sims, interactive adventures and other game types that don't have lots of shooting and a scoreboard doesn't mean that they're "shit" and the people who like them are "sad" and stupid "because they don't know better". Jeez if I spent years building a massive futuristic city for people (something not so many non-AAA indie game devs have done before) to explore filled with NPCs interact with I'd just looooove coming to place like this and seeing someone like you saying it's not even worth 2 bucks to people who actually like that stuff? Wow...

Narcissistic people who completely lack the ability to understand, respect, or apply any value to other peoples interests and hard work are the one's who are "sad" and stupid "because they don't know better", I'm sure you're not one of those poor blind fellows are you. ;)

The game is highly rated on steam in thousands of reviews so not ones getting duped (other than idiots who didn't know what they were getting themselves into since as luj1 points out the trailer makes it pretty obvious what it actually is eg not what he and you are looking for). So a whole lot of people played it, they enjoyed it and they reviewed it positively and shared why.

Oh and for the record I don't play any of those sim game types I listed above either however I do enjoy all things cyberpunk (TV, films, books, games etc) so this game caught my interest and might actually result in me dipping my toes into the genre for a bit in the future just for a bit of FUN, since that's what it's all about. If I don't end up enjoying it then that's a shame but it doesn't mean it's worthless and those that did enjoy it are idiots.

Ash

Arcane
game
noun

1. 1.
    a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Also this again:

Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction

Just because you can move your flying car in the direction of the objective marker doesn't make it a game. If a movie played out as normal and at the very end involved the audience by asking a multiple choice question and waited for all the viewers before responding doesn't make it a goddamn game. It makes it a movie with an interactive question/game-like segment at the end.

I'm sorry you're dumb and didn't understand my argument, probably because you felt personally attacked. In reality these types of experiences absolutely should be classified separately, they're just not for simplicity and convenience.

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
The fact that you're having to guess (incorrectly) my reason for replying to you proves my point of your inability to put yourself in other peoples shoes, trying to apply a sub category/definition to the whole, and insulting anyone who feels differently.

You poor fool lol. Good luck in your little crusade.. you're going to need it.

Ash

Arcane
If you want to "play" someone's minecraft art project with a story added on top and basic vehicle controls you're welcome to. You mistake my alleged inability to relate to others preferences with the fact that I sometimes don't care for some people's unusual tastes. Some people choose to look at toilets and call it art. No thanks. I don't want to put myself in your shoes in this context. I want actual entertainment.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
:d1p: A comfortable game for the dark hours. Didn't play after completing the original game, so far the dlc has better performance and they finally added a cockpit view. More of the same can be good sometimes.

Blake00

Learned
Guessing you guys are referring to the new 'City of Ghosts' addon that came out last night.. looks good. Not often does an addon have a bigger campaign than the base game lol. The first person view is a good addition too.

Looks like they're also working on a separate game called Nivalis that drops the taxi stuff and has you running businesses around the city instead. The feature list looks a bit light, but switching the game to a more sandboxy business thing could be good, as long as there's some depth to it. As obviously the lack of depth in the gameplay is what turned some people off the original Cloudpunk.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488490/Nivalis/

ABOUT THIS GAME
This is Nivalis. Making it in this cyberpunk city isn’t easy. The gangs want to harvest your organs, the Corps will fine you for breathing, and the whole time, the ground under your feet is crumbling. This city could fall into the ocean tomorrow, so you better make your fortune today.

You’ve got to start small: a food stall, a noodle stand, a stim store. Build your way up to a bar, a restaurant, or even a nightclub. Eventually, you’ll own all the nightlife in Nivalis. You’ll own the night!

In Nivalis, you choose how to spend your time in the city. In this unique slice-of-life sim with realistic weather simulation and night and day cycles, you can grow your business, meet strange and diverse characters, form friendships and experience the danger and wonder of this cyberpunk voxel city. Welcome to Nivalis!

Features:

• Experience your simulated life in Nivalis, and choose how you spend your time each day.
  • Manage businesses like restaurants, ramen stands or night clubs.
  • Buy or grow your own ingredients.
  • Cook unique dishes and mix cocktails to attract the right customers.
  • Quit work for the day and go fishing instead!
  • Decorate your home or buy and customise a new one.
  • Travel on foot or in your flying HOVA through realistically simulated traffic.
  • Discover the stories of the people you meet in the city, your friends, your customers, and maybe even find love.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I like their way of thinking. They designed a city and are now building games around it.

So a little update. I finished it. It's much shorter than the original game and if you combine this fact with the price, it makes it a bad deal.
Wait for a sale or pirate it.
But I liked it, they added some action segments but sadly you can't fight back. You only run. Haunting Ground was so good that everyone is still copying it.
They also introduced some limited choice and consequence, very basic stuff but still an improvement over the original game.
If it wasn't so short it would be better than Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main game is exactly what a middle aged casual pleb like myself needs.

Now, if you could extend it to have minecraft features, it'd be even nicer. Is Nivalis up to this?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Honestly it's the most boring game I ever played, uninstalled in 20 minutes. And I finished several walking simulators. For what it's trying to achieve I'd rather have an high res ASMR/VR cockpit (eg. beginning in Observer) as a relaxation idler than this poor excuse for gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom