Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Devs sharing BTS stuff for its birthday:

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS COULDNT DO IT

VERY AVERAGE GAMEPLAY I THOUGHT AND WAY TO SLOW PACED

IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS AMAZING THOUGH LOLOLL FIRING UP THE LASERSWORD AND CUTTING THROUGH ELECTRICAL CABLES WAS AMAZING AND YOU CAN ALSO CUT THE GRASS

lightbane

Arcane
Sadly, supposedly you cannot cut people, other than the odd hand here and there. :decline:
That secret modification of the JK series was awesome.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Last platform game i've played was God of WAr II like 10 years ago.
I'm 43 years old (in one month), im too old, best one i 've played was Prince of Persia (the original one)

I'm 40 and pretty much never play games like this but I found the platforming pretty simplistic honestly. The combat could be hard at times (on one up from default difficulty) but not too bad. End boss was super annoying though so I turned it down to normal to beat it.

cruel

Cipher
I'm not really sure about that either. I'm hoping it's included on EA Play since that's going to get rolled in to game pass in a week or two but I was looking at the same slightly conflicting info as you since as far as I can tell that's the only game on EA Play I'm potentially interested in. On the bright side, if you don't get an answer and you hold off buying it during this sale I'll try to pipe up in the thread once EA Play's added to game pass and then you can buy it (Or not) during the winter sale.

cruel

Cipher
Thanks. Got it on Origin via EA Play as well, downloading. We'll see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

cruel

Cipher
Finished the game today, took 25 hours total, with 90%+ stuff explored. Very good game surprisingly, and calling it a mix of Dark Souls and Tomb Raider is pretty accurate (but more Dark Souls). It's nowhere near GOTY material of course, but I enjoyed the time spent.

My biggest surprise was level design. I was expecting a typical, casual corridor design with simple left - right - straight, but instead got a pretty complex level design with secrets, puzzles, verticality and some hard to reach places. Clearly a lot of thought was put into this.

Good things:
- combat is good; not as fluid as DS or Nioh, but enjoyable; reading enemy patterns and reacting properly with dodge / block / parry / attack
- as mentioned above, level design
- droid companion made me like him
- good / intuitive controls, things work exactly like you want them
- good enemy variety
- some memorable moments

Worse things:
- the are moments when hitboxes are off, you are hit when you shouldn't be (rare)
- most of the chests contain just cosmetics; not very motivating to explore as for rewards
- clearly a 'modern' game; many powerful / reliable / strong women, with strong black women being the certain plot characters; it's not 'in your face' / annoying though, just noticeable
- some puzzles are annoying
- ending sucks

Good example of combat, showing somebody who knows what he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoYXc6JRR0

Overall 7.5/10. Not worth $60, but good enough at 60% off or $5 per month on EA Play.

Last edited:

wahrk

Learned
The level design surprised me too. The planets are a lot bigger than they initially seem, with a lot of varied locations on each one that are fun to discover. I also appreciated how it wasn’t completely static - progressing through the story does trigger certain changes, like stormtroopers moving in to occupy areas they didn’t before, or coming back to find new enemies attacking your ship, etc.

I do hope that in a sequel we get more meaningful equipment, or at least something to loot besides cosmetics. It would be nice to incorporate something like saber styles too, since there’s nothing like Dark Souls’ different weapon movesets to change up your playstyle.

clearly a 'modern' game; many powerful / reliable / strong women, with strong black women being the certain plot characters; it's not 'in your face' / annoying though, just noticeable

Yeah, I was rolling my eyes a bit on Kashyyyk when nearly every single rebel soldier you come across is a woman. Then again the protagonist is a white guy, surprisingly. I guess they had to overcompensate.

Xelocix

Learned
I do hope that in a sequel we get more meaningful equipment, or at least something to loot besides cosmetics. It would be nice to incorporate something like saber styles too, since there’s nothing like Dark Souls’ different weapon movesets to change up your playstyle..

Yeah, lightsaber styles are one of my favourite aspects about Jedi Academy's Movie Battles 2 mod. If JFO 2 implements a similar saber-style mechanic I'll be very happy.

This game popularity really shows that expectations are everything. People were expecting a complete trash from EA, so when they got a mediocrity, they were surprised and pleased.

The best summary of the Fallen Order can be archived by comparing it's lightsaber throw to Jedi Knight series lightsaber throw. In Jedi Knight you could midair change a trajectory of a thrown saber, all while moving and using different Force powers. In Fallen Order you are stationary when throwing and you can't affect the saber movement. Throwing lightsaber here is more like a special move than a game mechanic.

Let's start with positives. Fallen Order has a decent story and a good SW EU atmosphere. It's closer to old EU books than to Disney SW and that's great. I also liked how you need to parry blaster bolts to deflect them at enemies, If I were making a Jedi Knight game I would copy this mechanic. Game doesn't use quest markers and difficulty is far higher than you would expect from a mainstream game. Level design is also pretty good and I liked stormtroopers banter. Puzzles were alight I guess.

-Player movement feels sluggish. You are supposed to be a Jedi, but you move more like a medieval knight than a Jedi. Even several hours into the game I couldn't get used to the low mobility of my character. I am pretty sure that Sekiro has more mobility than Fallen Order.
-Combat is less fluid and polished than in Sekiro, it just feels worse. It's especially egregious when fighting monsters. I didn't feel fun when fighting non humanoid enemies.
-Game is badly optimized, and there are lags when loading textures.
-Enemies and bosses usually have only about 3 types of attacks. That's not many.
-I didn't enjoyed platforming, in fact I hated it. Every time you were getting into combat, the game stops and forces me to do jumping, sliding and other pointless exercises. Platforming takes a majority of the game. I hated the most when the game forces me to go through narrow corridors, the whole gameplay consist of just pressing a single button constantly. Can't imagine how someone could enjoy this.
-Force powers here are bad. I really hated how you need to force push rockets from rocket launchers while they are just being launched by enemies. You can't push them away when they are close, or even when they are midair. That just feels sooo weak and at odds with parrying mechanic. In Jedi Knight you could push them away when they were a meter from your face and that felt awesome.
-I don't understand why I need to tap climbing button when jumping on climbable area and there is no reason to have a separate button for scanning objects.
-The game wants me to reexplore previously visited areas, but I never wanted to. Level design is good, but not good enough to want me to return to areas, especially that areas feel very gamely and not memorable.

Fallen Order feels like a very rudimentary, basic game that does only a bare minimum of what it should. It's a like student that does a barre minimum to pass an exam. The game is engaging enough to not want to quit while you play (usually), but you hardly feel bothered to want to launch it.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
The story falls to bits in the last part though and that's being generous to the game

I guess I'm just old school but I really liked the platforming...

Force Push could be a little more powerful but putting the Force powers in context with the rest of the game, I think they were ok

Anyway the biggest problem with the game for me was how badly the story fumbled in the last part, I really hate-fucked that last section of the game just to finish it honestly.

Forgot to add: parrying system feels weird. You need to parry attack in the middle of enemy attack animation, not just a second before it lands. This makes parrying window feel very arbitrary, at the same time generous and difficult to consistently pull off.
When you see a bad system you come to understand why good system works well. Previously I thought that last second parry was a thing because it was cool, but now I know that it also serves the purpose of establishing a clear timeframe of when to parry. I can imagine someone with great reflexes beating Sekiro enemies on first try and then doing it pretty consistently. In Fallen Order you need to memorize enemy animations more.

cw8

Cipher
The best SW games are those without the force mumbo-jumbo in them, and no lightsabers. As in Dark Forces.

TIE Fighter's the best SW game of all time. But I'd also name Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy as some of my favourite SW games just coz of the lightsaber combat.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Lightsaber duels were cool in the SW-OT because they were few and far between, and the Jedi's lore was only hinted at, and never really exposed and hence trivialized.

The decline started with the prequels where everyone and its grandma can use a lightsaber. It soon was all a clusterfuck of waving lightsabers with no sense or rhyme.

The videogames declined too. With all those Jedi magic powers, SW became just another dumbed down power-fantasy series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom