Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project 007 - James Bond game from IO Interactive

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looking at job postings, 007 game might have online features similar to the new Hitman trilogy but the multiplayer focused game is yet another unannounced project.

Kinda crazy they've got three projects rolling as an indie, but I guess their track record let them get plenty of funding.

It sounds like 007 game is very early in development. I'd guess it will go into full production after Hitman 3 is completed.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I think people hoping for emergent gameplay are too optimistic. This is a big IP and the owners will want a good return, which means catering to the lowest common denominator.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know why some people ITT are automatically assuming this won't be nu-Hitman with a James Bond skin. The assumption that Baldur's Gate 3 would be reskinned D:OS turned out to be more accurate than not, right?

Always said that Obsidian should've used the Hitman games as a template for their espionnage game and slapped the 007 or Archer IP on it.

nu-Hitman with a James Bond skin.
:bounce:

I enjoyed all the Hitman games aside from Absolution. Given that they've already turned away from making it an assassin simulator (feels more like an adventure/puzzle game now) then the 007 coat of paint should at least add some flavor to the parts that were a bit bland (story/dialogs/characters).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't know why some people ITT are automatically assuming this won't be nu-Hitman with a James Bond skin. The assumption that Baldur's Gate 3 would be reskinned D:OS turned out to be more accurate than not, right?

The best levels in nuHitman honestly already feel like a Bond game. The virus lab in Sapienza, the hospital for the super rich in the mountains of Japan, etc.

Adon

Arcane
How exactly would that work? A good chunk of Hitman revolves around wearing disguises, and hiding in plain sight. Granted, there's always been a level of comedy with how Agent 47 looks and sticks out more than other people, even with a disguise. I don't think they would adop that approach with James Bond, however.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A faithful adaptation of Bond movie cliches into Hitman's gameplay would mean shooting down scores of mooks, which in Hitman doesn't usually happen.

I've always wanted that they take it into a more realism flavored spy direction where missions are based on real life stuff. You know, from the Cold War, or tailing, or kidnapping operations, or killing off Jeffrey Epstein (why not), stuff like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How exactly would that work? A good chunk of Hitman revolves around wearing disguises, and hiding in plain sight. Granted, there's always been a level of comedy with how Agent 47 looks and sticks out more than other people, even with a disguise. I don't think they would adop that approach with James Bond, however.

nuHitman actually has really good fundamental stealth and shooting, so I don't think their engine or whatever really needs the costume mechanic to work. Have those same open levels but with more straightforward objectives and a stealth/shooting focus, maybe a dialog system, and there you go.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The similarities are superficial. A 007 game would be nothing like Hitman in terms of gameplay. A 007 game would be narrative-centric and going into interactive movie territory, whereas Hitman post-2016 is a puzzle game about getting to a certain spot so you can execute an action to complete the objective, with some self-imposed limitations on killing, getting recognized, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The similarities are superficial. A 007 game would be nothing like Hitman in terms of gameplay. A 007 game would be narrative-centric and going into interactive movie territory, whereas Hitman post-2016 is a puzzle game about getting to a certain spot so you can execute an action to complete the objective, with some self-imposed limitations on killing, getting recognized, etc.

I didn't say it would be exactly like it. But if you make an espionage focused Bond game, that engine and general pipeline is perfect for it. Take the "suit only silent assassin" approach and build the levels based on that, with public areas and stealth areas, the same shooting, etc. You can play Sapienza exactly like a Bond game, if you want.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Imagine a Bond game that plays like a massive 20h Hitman level, with hundreds of ways to approach and complete the objective.

There's a hell of a lot they could do with this... quite exciting IMO.

Just please ffs don't go Epic exclusive.

Machocruz

Arcane
Disguises should be in, but kept to a minimum. Like before the mission you put together an outfit you think is most appropriate to the venue, being more or less effective in avoiding suspicion.

Normal clothes, not chicken suits. Unless it's Roger Moore Bond.

Also killings should be mostly through traditional means of shooting, stabbing, strangling. Poisoning sushi or dropping anvils on people doesn't seem right for JB.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
A 007 game would be narrative-centric and going into interactive movie territory
Does any existing Bond game or Bond-like game (e.g. NOLF) even fit this description? There'll probably be a fair amount of cutscenes and a bigger story focus than in most Hitman games, but that kind of stuff can take place between missions rather than invading the actual gameplay.

A faithful adaptation of Bond movie cliches into Hitman's gameplay would mean shooting down scores of mooks, which in Hitman doesn't usually happen.

I've always wanted that they take it into a more realism flavored spy direction where missions are based on real life stuff. You know, from the Cold War, or tailing, or kidnapping operations, or killing off Jeffrey Epstein (why not), stuff like that.
I'm hoping this'll be closer to From Russia with Love or On Her Majesty's Secret Service than the Brosnan or Craig movies. Cold War would be great.

I'm curious about how (or if) they plan to implement the social side of Bond, which is an important element of the movies but only plays a very small role in Hitman. Wouldn't mind a bit of Alpha Protocol here and there.

deuxhero

Arcane
A 007 game would be narrative-centric and going into interactive movie territory
Does any existing Bond game or Bond-like game (e.g. NOLF) even fit this description? There'll probably be a fair amount of cutscenes and a bigger story focus than in most Hitman games, but that kind of stuff can take place between missions rather than invading the actual gameplay.

YES!

Angelsoft's A View to a Kill was a text adventure. Operation Stealth was a point click game that was James Bond with the serial numbers filed off that got turned into a proper James Bond game for the US release. The GB game is, of all things, a Zelda-like (I've heard it's not bad, but haven't gotten around to playing it. What I do know for sure is it's the first Bond video game that uses unrelated events for a cold opening, patterned after the films doing it, which EA started doing when they had the license).

Last edited:

snoek

Cipher
Am I the only person who thinks IOI have gotten lazy lately? Or maybe their tools are super shitty?
Hitman 2 was basically 6 new levels and some engine tinkering and maybe 2-3 extra actions you could take.
Now they have this PSVR gimmick (probably because sony gave them a bunch of money for that) but nothing much else seems to be new.
Seems it's gotten too 'hygge' over there in CPH/Malmö. They need their Japanese overlords back ASAP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom