Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Men of War is out, who's up for some multiplayer

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Just noticed that Men of War 2 is out, so I'm grabbing it now. Who is up for some hot-ass multiplayer tomorrow?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
No one? For shame. The game is quite awesome, even though the english voice-overs in the SP campaigns suck

puppyonastik

Augur
I'll try to pick it up at a store today (if they are selling it yet), and pm ya later. Faces of war was pretty good, and I'm hoping for better with this release.

Casus belli

Liturgist
I'm up for it, but I haven't been able to get a legit version for online play yet (Gamersgate hasn't released it yet and who knows when it's going to be available on retail here in Brazil).

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I don't have a.. legit version myself, so we can play through Hamachi (virtual LAN) B)

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
How's the single player mode (mission design, music, overall atmosphere - especially compared to Soldiers)? Is the game a step up from relatively disappointing FoW?

entertainer said:
Nicolai is killing PC gaming

The vast majority of Codex members is guilty of the same. Seeing that people here have no second thoughts about pirating titles actually worth supporting, the irony of them bitching about a lack of decent PC games is worthy of attention.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
SP is pretty intense. The first mission (the one that's in the demo) works as a tutorial and is quite slow, but the game really picks up the pace in the second one and has you defend a train station that's right next to a bunch of factories. You're retreating, so you have to hold off the Germans until your comrades are done loading a train with shit from the factories. You have a few minutes to disperse your troops, lay mines and all that jazz before all hell breaks loose. The Germans attack multiple points from both North and East with a bajillion men and tanks, so it's quite a challenge.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Horrible voice acting, good 'ol gameplay. And as a bonus, on the fourth soviet mission deserters are shot.

Too bad FoW/MoW isn't very mod-friendly - imagine if we'd get a MechCommander -game with this engine...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
entertainer said:
Haba said:
Too bad FoW/MoW isn't very mod-friendly

:roll: :roll: lolwat

Well, prove me wrong and show me a single FoW total conversion then. Or any mod that's more than making a new unit that just uses the same underlying mechanics.

In other news, the game rocks. The only thing I'm not liking about it at the moment is the scripted missions - sometimes you're supposed to lose ground in order to progress the mission, and enemies will keep spawning no matter what. So I end up fighting desperate guerilla battles for ages and it doesn't have any effect on the end result :-/

A positive exception to this was the russian campaign mission where the saboteur mission results actually carried over to the next mission (I wiped out all the enemy artillery and as much of the guards as I could, so the entire frontline was empty when the attack started :p)

entertainer

Arbiter
Ever heard about Contra Wars '89 for example? Anyway, the game IS very mod friendly and there's a lot of mod/missions made, too bad most of the good ones are from russian community, like the remake of soldiers campagin mod, BTRH2, etc...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
entertainer said:
Ever heard about Contra Wars '89 for example? Anyway, the game IS very mod friendly and there's a lot of mod/missions made, too bad most of the good ones are from russian community, like the remake of soldiers campagin mod, BTRH2, etc...

I actually started thinking about the russian part of the modding scene afterwards, that may well be true - there seems to be only a handfull of english mods out there. Which is a real shame, as I really like the engine.

Contra Wars '89 looks like a total conversion. Modern day warfare though, so not really my cup of tea. No mods so far that'd really go far out. X-Com mod? :) Smaller scale battles against more powerful enemy would fit well for FoW imho.

Expanded Battles 2 seems to be planning adding naval battles and airplanes to MoW btw:
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/vi ... =12&t=2141

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Can someone list some of the things they find fun about this game? Granted I only played if for about 10 minutes, but I was bored to death.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
The first mission is just a tutorial, so it's a bit slow and boring. The second mission gives a better image of what's to come.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
vazquez595654 said:
Can someone list some of the things they find fun about this game? Granted I only played if for about 10 minutes, but I was bored to death.

+ Destructable buildings
+ Realistic-ish ballistics
+ Great variety in available units
+ Good balance of strategic options v.s. streamlined gameplay

In short, I haven't enjoyed a realtime wargame like this since Close Combat. With today's dumbed down RTS games, Men of War is a fresh breeze for me. It has enough of a learning curve to provide some challenge, whilst not being bogged down into too much of micromanagement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom