Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry for rabbiting on about this, I'm in that enthusiastic phase :)

Just bumped diff up to Cruel with Challenge Mode on, did a few "Extremely Difficult" missions. Nicely meaty and satisfying. Positioning is king in higher difficulty, and if you position well and follow the golden rule of XCOM (don't reveal any more fog of war after your first char's move) Cruel+Challenge+Extremely Difficult is quite doable, though of course slower because of all the deep thinking you have to do. You get into a nice flow state with it. Also, that golden rule, while still mandatory, doesn't necessarily allow you to relax too much because there are sometimes patrols that can bump into you - more frequently in the harder missions.

Altogether the combat is more dynamic and sprawling than XCOM's, even modded XCOMS, because the shape of the battlefield can turn on a dime when the enemy can call in reinforcements - and frequently does. So you need good positions, because you might be fighting from them for a while. On the other hand, the incentive to move is to grab the loot boxes scattered around, and "dancing" around so that you manage to get the nearby loot while you're in combat is a good feeling (and that's doable since opened loot boxes provide half cover). Flanking is risky because of the risk of adding even more mobs to an already difficult fight (as per the golden rule), but if you flank in such a way as to not reveal any more fog of war, you're fine. Your melee heroes are quite tough, and can stand being exposed for a short time after attacking in a way that exposes them (because you just HAVE to get rid of that mob :) ), because they block and dodge a fair amount of attacks (you can get block/dodge to healthy 40% or so without too much sacrifice of other things). But you can't leave your melee units exposed for very long with difficulty maxed (not like you can at the lower difficulties - at lower difficulties they can mostly just dodge and block if they're exposed, but on hardest difficulty that can be very costly). Generally melee is riskier to use, but still tremendously effective when used. A nice balance. Ranged varies from the plinking of your occasional support cops to the humungous bolts from your "mage" type or the great cones of damage from your gunner.

The feel of the impact of what you and the mobs do is just about right too - lower level enemies chip away at you for an amount that feels right, and while not immediately dangerous, makes you want to avoid it; higher and higher level enemies can take bigger and bigger chunks out of you. Meanwhile your abilities feel impactful. Missing and being blocked happens enough to be stop things from being a cakewalk, but you never feel greatly frustrated by it. Block greatly minimizes damage but doesn't exclude it entirely, so Blocked attacks can even sometime make a small dent in you that can kill you if you just have a sliver of health left. It's all very satisfyingly pitched, and realized quite well with graphics and fx.

The Mastery system is a bit hard to get into at first because initially the UI is rather overwhelming and a tad opaque, but I think I'm in the saddle now and the more I play with the Mastery system, the more I love it. It's funny that Warframe is the only other game I know of that has something like this "card" type of system - is it something from JRPGs (which I've never played)? It's a total alternative to many of the more standard forms of progression. Loved it in Warframe, love it in this. So much flexibility and flavour, and most of it pretty much does what it says on the tin (and with most Masteries you can feel some difference).

Starting to get into crafting too now, but that looks to be a humungous grind. There are some fun crafting missions with mat rewards. Fun the first couple of times :)

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
I wonder if the devs are aware that people usually charge money for this sort of things. Not that I'm complaining.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the devs are aware that people usually charge money for this sort of things. Not that I'm complaining.

Yeah, I wish I could support them financially. The devs are struggling to stay afloat, as they had mentioned a couple of times.
So I would not mind paying for this DLC, if that helped them to keep making good games.

PrettyDeadman

I want to play but I am stuck.
There is a mission where you need to hack warehouse entrances. Only one chracter has it. And you have like 20 character. Hacking usually take 2 turns (you hacking spots are quite a distance between each other). So you have to spend hunderds of rounds doing nothing. This is beyond retarded.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I wish I could support them financially. The devs are struggling to stay afloat, as they had mentioned a couple of times.
So I would not mind paying for this DLC, if that helped them to keep making good games.

The korean mentality is borderline insane. They keep apologizing even though they delivered a brilliant, nearly bug free huge exciting game and churn out updates/patches constantly like crazy. They also answer nearly every review (even though sometimes the translation software seems to result in slight misunderstandings).
I suppose the next best thing to support them besides throwing money at the screen is spreading the word and making more people aware of the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I want to play but I am stuck.
There is a mission where you need to hack warehouse entrances. Only one chracter has it. And you have like 20 character. Hacking usually take 2 turns (you hacking spots are quite a distance between each other). So you have to spend hunderds of rounds doing nothing. This is beyond retarded.
IIRC, in the "Donkey and Driver" scenario case, the mission's target (secret cargo) should show up fairly early in one of the warehouses, following which you can choose to end the mission rather than continue through the entire map.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Having played this for a wee while now, apart from the other good things I've been saying, I have to also mention the responsiveness of the UI, in terms of when you're hunting with your cursor for a place to move your character to. There's never a problem activating that awkward tucked-away spot that you've noticed, as there is sometimes with XCOM, and the experience feels a bit more lively.

You always seem to be able to see what you need to see when you're looking - IOW, the "culling" or whatever it is, is handled superbly. It's almost like the game "knows" what you're looking for and clears or wireframes everything out of the way that has to be out of the way for you to see it, but without doing it in such a way that you lose the overall sense of what you're looking at. Ofc XCOM does something like that to, but as I say, it feels better done in this game.

There's also a certain delicacy to the feel of the graphics and the art design that quite enhances your sense that you're looking at a miniature of a real world.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
You always seem to be able to see what you need to see when you're looking - IOW, the "culling" or whatever it is, is handled superbly. It's almost like the game "knows" what you're looking for and clears or wireframes everything out of the way that has to be out of the way for you to see it, but without doing it in such a way that you lose the overall sense of what you're looking at. Ofc XCOM does something like that to, but as I say, it feels better done in this game.
Fact that levels never have spaces where you could move on top of each other probably helps.
For example buildings have roof or interior where action happens, never both.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fact that levels never have spaces where you could move on top of each other probably helps.
For example buildings have roof or interior where action happens, never both.

True, Firaxis are probably making it harder on themselves by including interiors.

I think the facility I'm speaking of has something to do with the varying thickness of lines that are used for some of the wireframes. I noticed today that an arbor covering my hero had very fine lines. I'm guessing they have it so that things that are more distant from you that are being culled have thinner wireframes, so you get a sense of depth? Dunno.

Waxing lyrical about this game some more: they really have put an incredible amount of thought into the naming of masteries being intuitive encapsulations of what they do - I mean as much as it's possible, necessarily, sometimes you're going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel, but ... :) For example, Indomitable Will reduces damage significantly (IIRC 30%) below 33% remaining health, and that just goes with the image of someone holding out under some punishment. The little homilies are very evocative of what the Masteries do too, you immediately picture little scenarios in your head.

So as I said, I can imagine it's easy for children or filthy casuals to play around with intuitively. But the deeper I'm looking at the numbers, getting a ballpark feel for them, the more I admire the intricacy and detail of it.

It's especially intricate because of the obvious simulationist intent behind it. Things behave like you're expect them to behave, in a semi-realistic or miniaturized way. There are "field effects" like weather, night, swamp, water, and they all have appreciable effects (e.g. water knocks 1 off your mobility and action speed). And I just discovered today from reading tooltips that a Wind Pressure grenade can dispel fog-like things - like poison clouds or smokescreens. But of course!

The game is full of this sort of delicious detail, with things interacting and synergizing to some degree like you'd expect them to in real life - albeit highly abstracted ofc.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm really digging the miniaturized buff/debuff info that flashes around your character's nameplate, and unfurls at the side. Again, Once you get used to how small it is, it's very readable and informative - it flashes what buff or mastery has come on, and how many action points a mob has been debuffed of, etc. The little bits of info aren't on for very long, but you soon get into the swing of checking them as you go - it becomes part of the flow of the game, by drawing your attention to what's happening in the virtual world itself (rather than reading it on the side or something).

And again, not only is it aesthetically pleasing, easy to follow and informative, it's also immersive, as your eye follows the action and you're quickly reading off the skeleton of a little story that you're fleshing out as you go in your head - "oof, he got shot there, he's bleeding, poor bugger. Oh my lightning mage has stepped into the lightning field, he's got that Mastery that boosts his damage if he's in his own stuff, forget its name." That sort of thing. Of course one does something like that in most games, but the nameplate info really helps you get deep into it.

Scaled back to Hard, without Challenging mode. I'm quite digging the story and want to progress it in a reasonable time, and Hard is like story mode with a bit of bite to it now and then. The Cruel/Challenge mode is great fun, but slow, and some of us 've got 'omes to go to.

Jinn

Arcane
Or buy the game for a friend. Hell, you could hold a raffle on the codex even. There's always ways to support them more if you want to.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm starting to bump up against the problem of Training Manuals. I do so much fiddling with builds that I'm constantly in danger of running out of Training Manuals and have to do the occasional Quest to top up.

Too much unrestrained use of "clear all masteries" in my mis-spent youth. Before I discovered there was a cost to unslotting lol

Zumbabul

Savant
After reading all the positive feedback in this tread, I decided to give this game a try. I played only 12 hours and I think the game is awesome. In my opinion, Troubleshooter = nuXcom + Anime + Jews.

Why Jews? Your main character is a boy with a jewish last name. Albus only helped Don, when the Don agreed for discount. Sion always dreams about a raise in the salary, but Albus always tries to avoid the topic. The head of the police team have jewish first name. Jews everywhere!!!

Jokes aside, the game is fantastic. My only complaint, is that almost all male character are kind of gay. Is this to much to ask to have a game with straight males?

Vatnik Wumao
I'm starting to bump up against the problem of Training Manuals. I do so much fiddling with builds that I'm constantly in danger of running out of Training Manuals and have to do the occasional Quest to top up.

Too much unrestrained use of "clear all masteries" in my mis-spent youth. Before I discovered there was a cost to unslotting lol

You can buy manuals from the guy at the bar if you run short. If you have been doing the optional purple missions and claiming the chests money shouldn't be a problem.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I wish I could support them financially.

It's probably not the exact option you're looking for but you can buy the soundtrack and the art book. Going to buy the soundtrack myself due to the free DLC that just dropped, which came out of left field for me to be complete honest.

I already have those, so I'm going to go with Jinn's idea.
If someone was considering buying Troubleshooter but still had doubts for some reasons, check out the giftstravaganza thread.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The head of the police team have Jewish first name. Jews everywhere!!!
Gorden/Gordin is a Jewish family name, so Isaac Gorden is clearly intended to be Jewish, similar to Albert "Albus" Bernstein. :M

bShTm6B.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Jokes aside, the game is fantastic. My only complaint, is that almost all male character are kind of gay. Is this to much to ask to have a game with straight males?

I don't care much for the K-pop look of some characters either, but if the game's good, it doesn't matter.

PrettyDeadman

Still can't believe how fucking terrible donkey and driver mission is.
12 or so fucking points on the map which has to be activate by a single character. You have like 11 characters. THOUSANDS of turns pressing skip turn on your useless fucking characters, seeing skip-turn animation (you can't just spam it), waiting for that one character who can do ANYTHING at this mission. Literally you spend an hour skipping turns on your characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom