Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Tried a WElf campaign since its gonna be radically changed and I never really got far with it before. Figured out a good strategy to quickly take all the other forest capitols within the first 8 or so turns (can explain if anyone is interested). From there I was pretty OP with enough army for 2-3ish full stacks. With level 3 garrisons and the defence boosting buildings you just let the settlements themselves kill rebels to farm cash while you conquer the world. Conquered most of Bret, got down south and took out everything on the way to ikit, was working my ways east through a chaostide. Turn was only around 50, was making great progress. At this point I decided to upgrade the Oak of Ages to level 2. A beastman stack spawns and starts running at the tree. 2 turns later, the beastmen...

...dun dun dun...

called two high elven factions to join them in their war against me. Those factions then called the rest of the elves in and I have no fucking chance of defending when Wood Elf garrisons have 5 dudes and no walls and I only have 3 and a half stacks, 2 of which have to fight skaven and greenskins. I guess the moral of the story is fuck me for forgetting the mod that disables AIs calling each other into wars.

So yeah, learned my lesson there. New campaign where you can just defend around your trees rather than needing to defend wide swathes of land sounds like it will be much more fitting.

From what I taken, the changes to WE makes then even more defensive as their economy was nerfed (even if not as Amber dependent) and you really dont want to spread out due to outposts making little to no money so you get fucked if you expand too much because they up the upkeep costs of Lords and Agents globally that if they are doing it to stop the Ordertide I dont think that will work because the AI cheats are the cause when they just pull 2-3 armies out of just owning a single Settlement.

Also since you can travel with the roots to the Magical Forests (with then adding new ones, not just the ones on the Empire, Elf Island and Badlands) you kinda have to be careful as you can now spread across the map with ease and suddenly having to defend those locations and the roots have a base 10 turns cooldown and I dont think you can afford to have 5-6 armies babysitting then.

The main problem with elves currently is that you have to blob and that means a huge great power penalty with everyone around you that encourages AIs to DoW you for dumb reasons. If you can just stay fairly small and actually play a diplomatic game it should be better. Maybe that was my mistake, I shouldn't have blobbed at all and instead just helped the ordertide until I could eventually get an alliance that gave me dozens of amber. I guess you could literally do a zero-effort-required game where you passed turns from 10-100, scored alliances thanks to chaos invasion bonuses, build the tree and win.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
The problem with WE is their stupid Amber mechanic were you cannot simply turtle up on their stupid magical forest, you have to come out and because of that CA given some rather broken bonus for then to be a "defensive" faction at the same time they kinda push the player to go around painting the map due to the Amber.

You do get the same amount of amber if you ally someone who has settlements, you don't have to conquer them all.

Drakron

Arcane
Yes but you have to find then first, granted if you work with Karl that ends up being easy as you can follow with the rest of the Ordertide but that just makes it for a boring campain and that is if Karl survives, he can be wiped.

The changes they made kinda do push the WE out into the world because of the World Tree and Magical Forests without making you piss everyone in that area being pissed off, even if I think in some cases it can be a problem since Gaen Vale is one of then, not sure how that been implemented ... I know you can take Oberon Camp that can be tricky (because of the Skaven down there) but that been a separate settlement since ever and its not the same as trying to take Avalon capital.

Also I think you just got fucked because of TW:W shitty diplomacy system, you do get absurd crap like Skaven inviting Dwarves to join their war, the Beastman when spawned should had 0 diplomatic relationships with aversion and all that not being weighted, that means the HE were more likely to accept their proposals but then again, how were they aware of the HE to begin? its the downright AI cheats that fuck the player over when it comes to diplomacy since if you havent meet a faction then you cannot engage in diplomacy but a newly spawn faction 2 turns in invites factions they could not have contact with to join a war? the fuck? I hate when games downright cheat as much because this means the AI is always aware of all other factions because they pull shit like that, I can understand to a point roaming armies since they are mercenaries and everyone should be aware of then (even if I think they taking settlements is BS) but something like a quest army spawning in and having full access to diplomacy? No, shouldnt happen.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
AI cheats are the cause when they just pull 2-3 armies out of just owning a single Settlement.
Yeah. I am actually considering buying this dlc because 8 ebro for a new race is a pretty good deal (and I am out of shit to play), but I am very worried I'll abandon campaign on turn 20. As soon as you declare war on anyone, you must wipe them out or they will send a full 20/20 stack against you every 3 or 4 turns. You can try making peace, but they'll declare war within 10 turns because they're at -347 reputation after you smashed all their stuff. You can try defending but that is very iffy without an army to accompany the garrison, especially when you start getting involved in multiple wars.

Otoh, I think WE doesn't build walls, so almost no siege battles...

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
AI cheats are the cause when they just pull 2-3 armies out of just owning a single Settlement.

No faction ever has 'just... a single settlement' for income. Even if you only own one settlement, you've still got ~2,500 in background income. With shitty troops, that could theoretically amount to ~2 full stacks. And the AI uses pretty much every ounce of income to field armies, unlike players who usually keep at least 1k per turn for funding new buildings/recruitment.

That said, I believe higher difficulties also lower upkeep for AI armies, so the effect is you could theoretically see a one settlement AI faction field three stacks, certainly.

Drakron

Arcane
Yes and that is the problem, Ordertide happens because the AI cheats the Dwarves and Empire gets as well their army composition just lets then reach a critical mass that nobody can oppose then.

CA instead of actually balancing then so cheat scale in a way the AI cannot pull 3 armies out of their ass or have a massive cheat economy apparently decided to up the costs so the AI gets less armies but everyone gets less armies as a result ultimately changing nothing because they still have their strong armies and strong economies and will "only" field 7 armies instead of 10, it would only have a effect if they are hit by several factions at once and they arent really.
To the player this creates a problem of expansion and defense because its Ordertide were the Dwarves and Empire take turns at beating you up, they might each have lost 3 armies but its still 14 and you have to defend yourself with less money now meaning instead of 4 armies you have 3.

Granted this can change because honestly this is stupid, the best way to stop the Ordertide is making supply lines matter to the AI, that the AI cheats depend on the faction size so if they can afford 6-7 armies they dont get money bonus as well if they are down to 1-2 settlements after turn 100 they are on their own, otherwise it just creates a game were the AI gets to ignore mechanics as the player have to deal with then, this is why trying to make settlements rebel didnt really work because the AI gets to ignore public order, they made some changes so public order have a bias towards neutral so its takes longer to both max public order as well having a revolt but at the same time I feel this is more about the player bonus from high public order and rebellion farming that making public order matter to the AI.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Come WH3, I would love a randomized end times, where it could also be Nagash, Horned Rat, big WAAGGH, etc. in lieu of just chaos.
We, at CA, listen to your wishes and we're proud to give you Total War: Warhammer 3, where you will be...

...wait for it...

That's right, you will be fighting Scaven!
Of course, we'll integrate the Warriors of Chaos faction into the new game.
In a few years, with a paid DLC.

Gonna try a new strategy where I sit tight, spam agents at chaos till ordertide all allies me (sending agents against enemy stacks a huge opinion bonus) then go kill chaos dudes and let ordertide take them. I think it should be fullproof.

Yes and that is the problem, Ordertide happens because the AI cheats the Dwarves and Empire gets as well their army composition just lets then reach a critical mass that nobody can oppose then.

Honestly in most of my games its been chaostide unless and until I've gotten involved. Dwarves can only barely hold on to Karaz-a-Karak while Grimgore is taking over everything and Eshin are huge right to the east. Vampire counts take over half the Empire (I think this is more because Karl doesn't even fight them for a long time though). Several times I've seen Bret head-chopped by Marienburg and eaten up from the south by Ikit Claw.

60 IQ: "Noooooo don't ally anyone they might draw you into wars"
300 IQ:
TEGay5C.jpg

Also rocking 260% tech rate so I should be able to get the +30 relation with all factions pretty quickly.

Only problem is I need to kill marienburg and sack them till Louie respawns so that Brets can confederate properly to renew the ordertide. Aside from that I'll be playing pure support just marching to chaos sacking their shit constantly for experience and opinion with nearby order until order captures it and then move on to the next. Fuck actually trying to control land with WElves, its dumb. I know the theoretical OPness of having 100 +1% missile and weapon damage boosts is cool and all but its a nightmare to hold on to.

If Karl decides to DoW an elector I'm allied to it might fuck me though. Might be better to drop those alliances. Dunno.

Incidentally, IIRC the chaos invasion spawns quicker based on players being stronger, correct? So by doing this I'm delaying the chaos invasion until Ordertide has completely roflstomped chaos. Obviously doesn't matter much with current chaos invasion power level but in the next patch if you ramp it up to max this might be a powerful strat.

Nathir

Liturgist
Doing a Manfred campaign, holy shit this is brutal. You are surrounded by enemies on all sides. Dwarfs, golden order, all the empire sub-factions and the empire itself all hate you and will declare war on you all the time. My only allies are Vlad and Azhag. Vlad got completely stomped and only has 1 settlement left. And Azhag seems to be happy just chilling in his mountains with his 3 settlements. Meanwhile I am getting raped by empire stacks full of knights, demigryphs and siege weapons from all directions. And auto resolve sucks for vampires so you have to do every battle manually.

And to top it all off clan Moulder declared war on me aswell and there are rebellions everywhere. I think I might need to restart this campaign, but I am already 50-60 turns in, shit.

A horse of course

If Karl decides to DoW an elector I'm allied to it might fuck me though. Might be better to drop those alliances. Dunno.

This is the central failing of original Welf design. Try to "play tall" and your Amber supply is reliant on the shittiest, most unreliable factor in the game - the AI's diplomatic logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parabalus

Arcane
Doing a Manfred campaign, holy shit this is brutal. You are surrounded by enemies on all sides. Dwarfs, golden order, all the empire sub-factions and the empire itself all hate you and will declare war on you all the time. My only allies are Vlad and Azhag. Vlad got completely stomped and only has 1 settlement left. And Azhag seems to be happy just chilling in his mountains with his 3 settlements. Meanwhile I am getting raped by empire stacks full of knights, demigryphs and siege weapons from all directions. And auto resolve sucks for vampires so you have to do every battle manually.

And to top it all off clan Moulder declared war on me aswell and there are rebellions everywhere. I think I might need to restart this campaign, but I am already 50-60 turns in, shit.

Try starting with Ghorst, he's much stronger than Manfred early on.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ghorst is just about the worst LL out there.

At higher levels with full armies yeah. Especially in a 1v1.

His +20% replenish, mass poison and quick access to mortis engine mount let you bulldoze through the early turns, afterwards you get access to proper LLs.

WElf beaten. Honestly the easiest campaign possible if you play it "right", even on legendary/very hard it was pretty cakewalk-y. Take the rest of the forest immediately and the rest of the campaign is absurdly easy if you play the diplomatic game. It's kind of like a horde campaign except not shit. You have tons of base income, your forest is impenetrable, you have lots of diplomatic bonuses so no one attacks you, you have a bunch of super-stacks that go around razing chaos settlements. Unlike hordes you aren't swamped from all sides, you don't have to play whack-a-mole continually re-razing settlements that the AI takes under you, instead the order AIs take the settlements and continually pump out more and more stacks to support you. Its really the best of both worlds.

Army-wise, you can literally do the whole thing with 18 or 19 glade guard. The poison ones are great. You don't really need AP damage much, you're not fighting dwarves/empire/brettonia ideally. You'll fight mostly skaven, greenskins and vampires. Only greenskins really bring lots of armored guys sometimes (for me it was only grimgore who had like 6 black orcs), and because of that the starfire shafts glade guard isn't really needed. Enemies need about 70 armor for starfire shafts just to break even in damage with other glade guard and you pay more upkeep and a lack of poison for it. You also have your shadow magic to lower enemy armor or just deal lots of AP damage. So just make entire armies spamming your level 1 archers, if you control them properly they can defeat full enemy stacks on the field, often enemy stacks and-a-bit.

4C3EF3C8E718F89DF64672453022D1B4FB6E852A

Of course, Waywatchers are the eventual best archers to spam but not really THAT impressive compared to basic glade guard. Their main benefit is since the unit has more spacing they take a lot less damage from ranged fire, but when you have a full ranged army enemy ranged units get instagibbed anyway so this doesn't matter terribly much. Glade guard also actually have a bit more DPS than Waywatchers (though AP definitely makes Waywatchers better). When you get a full complement of level 7+ archers with full bonuses and 2 or more talons of kornous giving 260 range the autoresolve seems to kind of go crazy and give you massive power even in fights where you are outnumbered. Wild Riders with shields are also very nice, I used 4 in my lategame armies.

Unfortunately Lord-wise, Orion and Treebeard both suck compared to generic lords with Talon of Kurnous. Both because they lack that +10% army-wide range bonus and because you don't get a fucking dragon mount. In particular Orion doesn't get siege attacker meaning he can't assault immediately without having a dragon or treeman in his army. If you want to be strictly optimal you should dump them and just use generics, their unique artifacts are even pretty shit too. This is the real star of the show:

Eo6MmsH.png

Has regen from defeating vampy girl and 22% ward/25% phys/25% missile resist. So phys missiles do fucking nothing and she wrecks in melee pretty hard. Could have given her the sword of khaine but didn't really have time (I did capture the khaine province though). Also I gotta say having like +70% movement range from the wild hunt bonus on her is the best.

That said there are a few annoyances:

- Razing settlements sapping the rest of your movement sucks.
- You have massive replenishment bonuses but these only apply on your or allied land. So if you get far ahead of your allies you end up slowing down a lot.
- You'll never be able to sit inside a settlement, which means you're always at the mercy of being ambushed by skaven. Though you do get great ambush bonuses so you have a good chance to beat them if you are in ambush stance yourself.
- You can't trade with most of the world without a land connection from the forest to a port. Sucks.

Anyway, victory achieved:

I0AlJbN.png

This is the central failing of original Welf design. Try to "play tall" and your Amber supply is reliant on the shittiest, most unreliable factor in the game - the AI's diplomatic logic.

I think I've found the workaround. Once you start allying everyone, keep declaring war on all of the chaos factions and calling them all in. They'll all stack up so many "enemy of my enemy is my friend bonuses" that they won't fight much. Do the same with rogue armies. I think in generally the way to do alliances is either:

- Ally no one, NAPs only
- Ally only one big AI and bind yourself to whatever their stupidity does. Maybe keep it defensive only though.
- Ally everyone and start a -tide on turn 40 or so.

I did find out that it turns out when an ally attacks an ally and you defend your ally you don't take a reliability loss. Either this was changed in a recent patch or one of my mods does it (I'm pretty sure none of my mods changes this but who knows).

Last edited:

Vampire Counts is big on turtling up behind walls while spreading your corruption so that the enemy can barely move without taking attrition along with spamming vampire heroes to wound/assassinate enemy heroes so you can get blood points to unlock your bonuses. And of course get Wind of Death and free skellies.

At higher levels with full armies yeah. Especially in a 1v1.

His +20% replenish, mass poison and quick access to mortis engine mount let you bulldoze through the early turns, afterwards you get access to proper LLs.
You only need 3 blood points to get +20% global replenishment.

Best Vamp LL IMO is Vlad-daddy. Very easy early aggression, just delete all your bats and make 3 more vargheists. Fly over walls, terror rout anything weak in general, easy to heal and rotate out damaged guys so they all survive and stack lots of XP. You can take Castle Drakenhof on turn 3 and quickly wipe out the other vampire factions or let Mannfred live and eventually confederate if you want, or immediately go west (though you'll have to pay a lot of attention to manage revolts with your low corruption). 2 vamp heroes and earlier access to vamp heroes if you take drakenhof also means much quicker blood points. Also Mannfred is more like manbaby, fuck him.

That said Kemmler is probably also pretty gud just because his start position is like 50x less likely to be immediately fucked on all sides.

Parabalus

Arcane

They stack, the cap is 50%. That's part of what makes him good.

Don't disagree with the rest, but Ghorst shares a startpos with Manny, hence the suggestion.

Vampire Counts is big on turtling up behind walls while spreading your corruption so that the enemy can barely move without taking attrition along with spamming vampire heroes to wound/assassinate enemy heroes so you can get blood points to unlock your bonuses. And of course get Wind of Death and free skellies.

Do you play vs other players?
AI is basically immune to attrition due to their bonuses.

There's a lot of diminishing returns at that point. You're already getting a bit of base replenishment + replenishment if ending the turn in encamp or a settlement and most of your army isn't going to be completely wiped out in most battles, so it's pretty rare that it becomes that useful. Depending on your other bonuses you might even hit 50% without it. Plus your chaff is skeletons that you can just re-raise on the spot anyway, its not like anyone cares about preserving skeleton units to stack XP.

They definitely are not. The AI can take significant damage from attrition. It also means that most AIs will usually move only in raid or encamp stance, even on their own land, which means -50% movement range and absolutely guts their ability to surprise you from weird sides or respond to your attacks. It's not that impressive just in the vampire starting lands but when you start getting large, spread out areas like Stirland/Averland/Talabecland corrupted the AIs really start to fall apart. And putting corruption in the dwarven passes (along with walls everywhere, always put walls everywhere) will totally fuck up the dwarves. They'll need to slowly spend like 5 turns inching towards you and then another 2-3 sieging which is more than enough time to get a response down there.

EDIT: Also, obviously, block movement works great with this. Enemy stacks basically can't move at all.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

There's a lot of diminishing returns at that point. You're already getting a bit of base replenishment + replenishment if ending the turn in encamp or a settlement and most of your army isn't going to be completely wiped out in most battles, so it's pretty rare that it becomes that useful. Plus your chaff is skeletons that you can just re-raise on the spot anyway, its not like anyone cares about preserving skeleton units to stack XP.

They definitely are not. The AI can take significant damage from attrition. It also means that most AIs will usually move only in raid or encamp stance, even on their own land, which means -50% movement range and absolutely guts their ability to surprise you from weird sides or respond to your attacks. It's not that impressive just in the vampire starting lands but when you start getting large, spread out areas like Stirland/Averland/Talabecland corrupted the AIs really starts to fall apart. And putting corruption in the dwarven passes (along with walls everywhere, always put walls everywhere) will totally fuck up the dwarves. They'll need to slowly spend like 5 turns inching towards you and then another 2-3 sieging which is more than enough time to get a response down there.

There are increasing returns as you get to 50%, not diminishing. It's used every time there's a battle, even if you bunch up and spam IoN after every victory.
Not sure why the focus on the 20% replenishment, it's big, but extremely early mortis engine is the biggest benefit. Poison too.

I haven't seen the attrition effect you describe, what turn # numbers are you talking about? Usually your LL is running through uncorrupted lands to grab the settlement, then next turn he continues. The AI gets 50/80% immunity to attrition damage.

There are increasing returns as you get to 50%, not diminishing. It's used every time there's a battle, even if you bunch up and spam IoN after every victory.
Not sure why the focus on the 20% replenishment, it's big, but extremely early mortis engine is the biggest benefit. Poison too.

It's decreasing in the sense that if you have 5% replenishment and you need 50% to fully heal, you end up wasting 10 turns. If you have 25% you need 2, and if you have 45% you need 1 (technically still 2 to fully heal). Also in most fights you're not having your whole army ground down to 10% strength, 30% or so replenishment is enough to heal fully before the next big battle. e.g., you take a settlement, immediately get like 30% + more from being in the settlement, then you encamp once along the way to the next settlement if needed and basically everything is full. And again, vampire factions can raise dead, most of the time its just chaff skeletons that are taking the damage. For most factions continually re-making units is a bad idea since you're losing out on XP but skellies are sucky and only there as a meatshield anyway so it works.

Also +15% replenishment is right there at the beginning of the skill stree and should be gotten in the first 10 or so levels. That's 20% + 15% + some more % base + some more % for either encamping or being in a settlement. I think you'll hit the 50% cap without another 20% most of the time.

Personally I'm not a fan of mortis engine because skeletons are just gonna die anyway, especially on harder difficulties. Only worth getting it as a mount for your necromancer. Mortis engine is a tier 2 unit anyway so you can get it almost immediately as any vampire faction. Poison is pretty meh. Would rather have a lord like vlad who can solo half of a low-tier enemy army. It's not like wood elves where poison's ability to slow enemy units is a big deal. Not having +10% campaign movement range also sucks. The more I play the more I really value stacking as much campaign movement range as possible, probably the 2nd strongest bonus to have after a decent bit of replenishment.

I haven't seen the attrition effect you describe, what turn # numbers are you talking about? Usually your LL is running through uncorrupted lands to grab the settlement, then next turn he continues. The AI gets 50/80% immunity to attrition damage.

I've definitely seen AI take lots of damage from attrition, but its mostly the fact that the AI spends turns encamped or raiding to get immunity to attrition that matters. Yes lategame you are the offensive one who is running ahead of your own corruption but early game you can use spreading corruption ahead of you to help debilitate the enemy armies and make taking territory easy.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
It's decreasing in the sense that if you have 5% replenishment and you need 50% to fully heal, you end up wasting 10 turns. If you have 25% you need 2, and if you have 45% you need 1 (technically still 2 to fully heal).

That's reversed logic - the time saved from 2 to 1 turn is much greater than from 10 to 9.

But you never want to sit that much either way.
e.g., you take a settlement, immediately get like 30% + more from being in the settlement, then you encamp once along the way to the next settlement if needed and basically everything is full

But that's precisely why it's good, you don't want to encamp, it wastes a turn for no reason.

Also +15% replenishment is right there at the beginning of the skill stree and should be gotten in the first 10 or so levels. That's 20% + 15% + some more % base + some more % for either encamping or being in a settlement. I think you'll hit the 50% cap without another 20% most of the time.

You mean the blue line?
Putting points there early game severely gimps your power progression.

Personally I'm not a fan of mortis engine because skeletons are just gonna die anyway, especially on harder difficulties. Only worth getting it as a mount for your necromancer. Mortis engine is a tier 2 unit anyway so you can get it almost immediately as any vampire faction. Poison is pretty meh. Would rather have a lord like vlad who can solo half of a low-tier enemy army.

They damage also enemy blobs, which the AI does.

What do you mean Tier 2?
Mortis Engine is Tier 5, you won't see that for a while. Usually you recruit the RoR before you get the T5 building you need. Best case is getting them from raise dead.

Necromancers just get corpse carts, which don't have the AoE degen. They are the T2 variants.

I've definitely seen AI take lots of damage from attrition, but its mostly the fact that the AI spends turns encamped or raiding to get immunity to attrition that matters. Yes lategame you are the offensive one who is running ahead of your own corruption but early game you can use spreading corruption ahead of you to help debilitate the enemy armies and make taking territory easy.

At what turn do you take e.g. Altdorf with non-Kemmler starts?
Early game I aim to take a settlement per turn, before the AI outbuilds you with their obscene bonuses.

I somehow get the impression we're playing vastly different games.

It's decreasing in the sense that if you have 5% replenishment and you need 50% to fully heal, you end up wasting 10 turns. If you have 25% you need 2, and if you have 45% you need 1 (technically still 2 to fully heal).

That's reversed logic - the time saved from 2 to 1 turn is much greater than from 10 to 9.

10 to 2 is huge. 2 to 1 is very little. Especially when you get 1 turn of replenishment in a city and it generally takes about 1 or 2 turns to make it to the next target. Most of the time you don't even need a full replenish, you fight a big battle, get most units up to 80-100%ish, then the next fight is some weak undefended settlement.

e.g., you take a settlement, immediately get like 30% + more from being in the settlement, then you encamp once along the way to the next settlement if needed and basically everything is full

But that's precisely why it's good, you don't want to encamp, it wastes a turn for no reason.

Encamping usually doesn't waste a turn since it often takes more than 1 turn to get to the enemy settlement anyway, while 150% movement from one encamp + attack next turn is enough. And this assumes you need that replenishment, most battles you probably don't need more than 30-40%.

You mean the blue line?
Putting points there early game severely gimps your power progression.

What?

First point in +10% movement, next 4 points in your red line unit type, next 3 points in replenishment. Fail to see how 3 points is severely gimping you. If you want early caster stuff then hire a 2nd lord immediately and have them bum rush wind of death (Vlad gets Isabella to automatically do this).

Personally I'm not a fan of mortis engine because skeletons are just gonna die anyway, especially on harder difficulties. Only worth getting it as a mount for your necromancer. Mortis engine is a tier 2 unit anyway so you can get it almost immediately as any vampire faction. Poison is pretty meh. Would rather have a lord like vlad who can solo half of a low-tier enemy army.

They damage also enemy blobs, which the AI does.

What do you mean Tier 2?
Mortis Engine is Tier 5, you won't see that for a while. Usually you recruit the RoR before you get the T5 building you need. Best case is getting them from raise dead.

Necromancers just get corpse carts, which don't have the AoE degen. They are the T2 variants.

Ohh, right, mixed them up. But Ghorst only gets a corpse cart, not mortis engine. Mortis Engine just isn't that great, when lots of enemies ball up you kill 700 instantly with wind of death, not 1 per second with a mortis engine. The thing that scares skelly spam isn't balled up melee enemies but rather ranged spam and especially artillery spam. For that you either want cavalry or fliers. Hence why I'm a big fan of getting a good number of XPed vargheists early.

At what turn do you take e.g. Altdorf with non-Kemmler starts?
Early game I aim to take a settlement per turn, before the AI outbuilds you with their obscene bonuses.
What difficulty are you playing on? Highly doubt that's possible on legendary, just fighting all the rebels you'll have from your weak corruption game will be impossible. I can wrap up the vampire region one settlement per turn and take out Stirland and Averland but then its about 15 turns of rebel killing and buildup before I can move on.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How do you guys deal with campaigns turning into a slog at turn 100+?

Usually at this turn all neighbours are conquered/allied, and the only thing to do is to paint the map methodically, which is boring.
The CA's inept attempts to "liven up" endgame, like Chaos invasion, or that clusterfuck in Shogun when half the map declares war on you, also dont help, due to these events falling on the obnoxious side.

Use my massive economical surplus to ally everyone and end the campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom