Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're playing

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It probably looks better too, at least this GOG version does.

The low quality pic of the rainbows over a river someone posted earlier to make their dumbass point, was also misrepresenting it. This is the same place when you return after it being fire bombed and everyone killed.

s6QtME6r_t.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's surprisingly okay, though silly - but Chinese mythology is very silly in itself, just like most of games Bioware made. Still, gameplay was fun, but exploration was too limited. Felt like KotOR in China.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

I wanted to check it out in the past, but forgot about it. Thanks for this thread.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's surprisingly okay, though silly - but Chinese mythology is very silly in itself, just like most of games Bioware made. Still, gameplay was fun, but exploration was too limited. Felt like KotOR in China.
Otoh, I tried to replay this a few months back (picked it up cheap on GOG), and I found the controls to be incredibly awful, especially in combat. Really takes you back to the time when slapping RPG on an action game let you get away with terrible action gameplay.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I played it this year for the first time, so was able to look upon it with no nostalgia glasses. This is what I saw:
- underwhelming story
- poor roleplaying system with few stats and no inventory
- terrible party system (you travel with 1 companion)
- corridor-like locations
- arcade combat system
- colorful powerups instead of items
- retarded minigames.

It's a bad game and a massive decline even in comparison to KOTOR. Hell, Mass Effect was a big incline compared to this.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
The setting was somewhat original at the release of the game.

Everything else is mediocre at best.

-Most of the combat is basic, you skim trough most of the encounter, but they are few difficulty spike with incredibly tedious and boring opponent (special award for the arena and the boss before the last one);
-It's not ugly, but BLOOM, BLOOM EVERYWHERE.
-Side character are okayish, i guess, at lest on par with other bioware game (it's up to you if this is a good thing or not)
-My first reaction when i saw the explanation of alignment system was " ho cool, so for once we have something else than choosing to be an asshole or not".
lol who am i fooling, ofc it was going to be just like KOTOR :avatard:
-The rpg part is even more bareboned than the combat.

laclongquan

Arcane
The setting was somewhat original at the release of the game.

It is NOT. IT's somewhat unfamiliar to the Western gamers but very cliche to the gamers affected a bit by CHinese culture. For god's sake, it's like a Hong Kong martial art movie~ If you want to compare, it's like BG1 story to the fanboys of FR setting.

Gameplay is what kill it though. It's like in BG1, you could have forgotten the boring story in combat. But in JE, combat is pretty terrible and you can NOT.

Why terrible? Probbably because the too conservative costumes and the inability to mod something nekkid in.

AND the impossibility of changing female's hair to blonde. Lacking of blonde sex symbol is what kill it, visually. EVEN IF you want to be true to the setting and can not official condone it, you can always leave some background method to do so. Black hair is so NOT relevant to our interest.

I can speak all day about why Jade Empire suck terribly but I just cant dreg up the heat.

(Okay, westerners probbably can find JE story interesting, so I figure you can try it as a lesser Baldur Gate 1 without the expansion)

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
-My first reaction when i saw the explanation of alignment system was " ho cool, so for once we have something else than choosing to be an asshole or not".
The alignment system was a very cool idea, but there's like 3 times in the entire game where the closed fist is used properly, and for one of those you lose access to the closed fist fighting style if you pick the "purest" option.

Razor

Arcane
The thing I remember from Jade is Marco Polo dressed in hot pink and small roster of waifus. And the ghosties in cemetery. And the gutted water dragon.

Come to think of it, I remember quite a few things about Jade so it must have left a impression so it could not be that bad.

Although granted, a lot of it came out of the exotic oriental setting because when it comes to high-fantasy, generic medieval Europe is waaaayyyyy oversaturated and cookie cutter bland even when I played Jade +10 years ago.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Beautiful black hair is far superior and far more beautiful than blond hair, laclongquan. Its just better. Its simple science.
Niggers gonna nig.

Pfff, never in my life I saw a woman I could say "wow, she looks better with blond hair than with black hair". Every woman with blond hair I ever saw, would look better with black hair.

Always bet on black.
Well, of course - blond hair is for white people. Where could you see any whites besides tv?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I played it this year for the first time, so was able to look upon it with no nostalgia glasses. This is what I saw:
- underwhelming story
- arcade combat system
- retarded minigames.

It's a bad game and a massive decline even in comparison to KOTOR. Hell, Mass Effect was a big incline compared to this.
Most of that is true, yet it is still better than 99% of games. Games in general are just that bad. Also the combat in this was really good in the high levels, if you picked the right class at least.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

- underwhelming story
- arcade combat system
- retarded minigames.

Most of that is true, yet it is still better than 99% of games. Games in general are just that bad. Also the combat in this was really good in the high levels, if you picked the right class at least.

Jade Empire is literally the worst game I completed in 2020. And in this year I played Fallout 4, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition...

It has no redeeming qualities. Everything about JE is at best mediocre and at worst very bad.

Combat is one of mediocre elements. There are dozens of action rpgs with better fighting.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom