Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If anyone is interested in the competitive scene, here's a match that randomly popped in my suggested -

I didn't watch a lot of it, but the early game is very much like WC3. Which is not bad. The video also has 10k views, which is more than I expected.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching a bit on Twitch. Not a big scene unfortunately. It is entertaining though, but it reminds me on how starved I am for a proper RTS with the whole shebang.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always like the idea of RTS, but I'm terrible at them. Maybe if they were RTS...wp. ;)

Towards the end of the single player campaigns, basically if I can't doomstack and roll around the map, I usually just give up. I don't play them multiplayer because I can't imagine that being fun for anyone involved.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm also terrible at RTSes, but I like playing them for some reason. I was better at WC3 because the pop cap was low enough that I didn't feel overwhelmed by the amounts of units I have to control, and the macro wasn't really that intense. As opposed to something like AoE2, where you have to keep pumping villagers constantly and control your economy. I kinda forget about macro'ing when I fight and that trips me up badly. I'm sure I can get better with training, but eh.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have more problem with micro stuff. Like sieging vehicles, using spells etc. I just wanna a-click and go back to build armies and expanding :)

krilcebre

Learned

This is actually really fun to watch. When I was a kid I used to love playing RTS games, but they kinda died out, and so did my interest for them. I really like the maps here, great looking and functional, not too cluttered.

Silly Germans

Do they have an official forum ? I found nothing except the steam discussion. Pretty weird for a game that tries to establish itself as a multiplayer title.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Finished the game, what a gem. Had a fucking blast with it. Will replay the entire 3rd installation in a couple of months once they finish reworking it into a single entity.

Also Akrog is Gorka spelled backwards :)

Silly Germans

I've also completed the campaign and it was great. A definite recommendation if you liked the main game and/or Soul Harvest and a strong recommendation for anyone that likes strong story campaigns. The strategy parts are less pronounced in comparison to the main game and you have one fixed party for the whole game but every member of you party is great and the characters are properly developed. The story, locations and dialogue are the stronger parts of the game. The gameplay mechanics are neither shabby nor impressive in my opinion; most importantly they don't stand out negatively.

Now a question with some heavy spoilers for people that already finished the game,
Is it possible to save Noag or does he get sacrificed no matter what you do ? I taught him to value the tribe and he was willing to sacrifice himself but his last words when he died were quite sad. What happens if you teach him to look out for himself first ? Is it possible that Zaska dies if you don't gather all that bone dust for the flower ?

krilcebre

Learned
I've also completed the campaign and it was great. A definite recommendation if you liked the main game and/or Soul Harvest and a strong recommendation for anyone that likes strong story campaigns. The strategy parts are less pronounced in comparison to the main game and you have one fixed party for the whole game but every member of you party is great and the characters are properly developed. The story, locations and dialogue are the stronger parts of the game. The gameplay mechanics are neither shabby nor impressive in my opinion; most importantly they don't stand out negatively.

Now a question with some heavy spoilers for people that already finished the game,
Is it possible to save Noag or does he get sacrificed no matter what you do ? I taught him to value the tribe and he was willing to sacrifice himself but his last words when he died were quite sad. What happens if you teach him to look out for himself first ? Is it possible that Zaska dies if you don't gather all that bone dust for the flower ?

I got the same ending as you did, and that scene with Noag not liking afterlife really hit me. As far as I read on the steam forums, you can get the other ending by teaching Noag how to be strong instead of care for the tribe. That way he will refuse to sacrifice himself, so there will be no end battle against slavers and you will be fighting the demon instead. You will end up losing your tribe, city won't be established, and what's left of the party will join the Bogtusks. So basically, it's either you sacrificing your little brother and saving the troll race, establishing the city even, or saving the kid but basically killing the rest of your tribe, and troll future.

Parabalus

Arcane

There's another ending where he refuses to be sacrificed and the shaman goes crazy. I think you mean the Shaman with the bone dust question, Zaska doesn't die.

Silly Germans

There's another ending where he refuses to be sacrificed and the shaman goes crazy. I think you mean the Shaman with the bone dust question, Zaska doesn't die.
I should have put some space between in before the last question, its unrelated to the first part. I meant the part where Zaska goes to get the part of the Fial Darg in the time shift temple and stabs himself to feed his blood to the surrounding plants to clear the area of the black roots. Is it possible that Zaska dies there or does he always survive ? The dialogue made it sound as if the outcome depends somewhat on the amount of bone dust that was gathered for the blue seedling that Grungwar was carrying the whole time. Does Zaska survive if you never give Grungwar any of that dust ?

krilcebre

Learned
I guess someone will have to replay to find that out, I picked up every bone dust I found.

Silly Germans

As did i. But its good to know that there is still some unexplored content, for a second run.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

What are the prerequisites for that ending?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's an interesting question. I recently (literally this week) changed all my computer parts. Maybe not the smartest decision considering AMD have new stuff on the horizon, but I digress. So, I've been testing a few games out (MK11, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Spellforce 3) on ultra and Spellforce 3 seems to have noticeable performance issues? The FPS fluctuates wildly between 60 and 35ish depending on what's on the screen. It mostly hovers at around 60 and getting 35ish is rare, but it happens. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ok, great, it's not my rig then. Well, it's not great, considering we are getting bad performance, but you know what I mean. I'm assuming they'll do more optimizations if they are aiming for the competitive scene, seeing as how you can't make compromises with the performance there. I suppose anyone "serious" will play at lowest settings anyway, but eh.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I have more problem with micro stuff. Like sieging vehicles, using spells etc. I just wanna a-click and go back to build armies and expanding :)
Same. TB is better for micro, RTS should focus more on the macro of juggling an army, economy, expansion and logistics in real time. It all went to shit for me when RTS' became about managing individual units' unique abilities in real time. I can do it with a couple of units, like in the Warlords Battlecry games where you have one hero with a spell book, but then WC3 went too far with it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I actually prefer more intense micro at the expense of macro. That's why WC3 is actually my favorite RTS. As for Spellforce 3, I unfortunately lost my saves when I upgraded my PC, I didn't realize they were kept in the installation folder and not in My Documents, so I started from scratch and noticed hybrids are tougher to pull off and kind of stat starved. You need both agi and str to use weapons, but also quite a lot of Con to wear good armor, and then you need to think about caster stats. Intelligence can be dumped because of the elf's mana transfusion ability, but Willpower is def needed.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Some macro stuff is fun and I think W3 strikes a pretty good balance.

Would love to see both some kind of spiritual sequels to W3 and for Spellforce to move away a bit from its RTS aspects since those don't work very well IMO.

Another niche that I think exists in the marked is kind of a W3/Dota mix, where you have squad based RTS based on playing as a team (maybe 2v2?). It could be either Co-op for multiplayer focused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom