Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They require Origin even if bought on Steam.

EA's newer releases on Steam like the Command and Conquer remaster do not require Origin. Not sure if this will be the case all the time or not. Rogue Squadron requires an EA account to play online I think but not the Origin client.
The last thing I saw from EA on Steam was DA:I, and it said it required Origin, so I assumed everything is like that.

Millennials are starting to run the world dude, you're gonna have to adjust or be in permanent butthurt mode.

What do you mean by “adjust”? How does one “adjust” to garbage?

Relative to Millennials? Take a shower on a regular basis, exercise a little, learn how how to cook some basic dishes, and show up for work without died hair. And I’m not joking. Millies got the complete shitty end of the stick when it came to life skills. Dalek getting buttblasted is sad, because if you’re getting offended by someone taking a dump on your generation, they’re probably not talking about you.

JDR13

Arcane
I'd probably buy this on sale if it was on steam but its most likely going to be Origin so no.
EA games have been recently published on steam, they have no real reason not to do the same with these remakes.
They require Origin even if bought on Steam.
And that's why I won't buy them even though I'd like to have some of them on Steam out of convenience.

I never buy Origin or Ubisoft titles on Steam. What's the point when you still have to run their respective clients as well?

JDR13

Arcane
Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "new". I wouldn't call the C&C remaster a new game.

The C&C "remaster" where they remade every asset in the game. How is that not new? Video game industry has a weird thing going on lately where they undersell the work put into remaking games by calling them remasters. Natsume did this too with their remakes of Wild Guns and The Ninja Warriors; people seem to think those are just simple remasters of SNES games, but they've got all new backgrounds and completely redrawn sprites for every character.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
i8nx5h0db2061.jpg

Mac Walters is the project director.
Kiss of death on the LE confirmed.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Mac Walters is the project director.
Kiss of death on the LE confirmed.
What are you talking about? Mac is the only talent they have left at the husk that is modern Bioware and he's a perfect fit for the Mass Effect fanbase and he's been with the series since the first game. Would you rather they put some faggot like Patrick Weekes in charge of it? Mac got shit luck, when he had finally climbed on top of the shitpile and he had become the big writer in the Mass Effect series he had to piece together two games that were at odds with one another and deliver on all the promises made during that series, insane amount of C&C tracking across games that no reasonable dev would take on. CDProjekt were too smart to do that in their Witcher series and nobody gave them shit for it. With what he was given he did a fine job and his focus was on what the fans wanted. What the fans wanted might have been different from what you or I wanted out of a space opera RPG, but the reception to ME3 was clear, everyone liked things up until the ending. All plot threads were tied together, you got to decide the fates of everyone in the galaxy and explore things that might have better been left mysteries, but that fans would have whined about if it wasn't delved into. The game was extremely rushed and it is a feat that it didn't turn out completely unredeemable trash. But at the end that rushjob becomes more evident, and you can see Mac being the voice of reason in the interview below. People wanted a bossfight and a proper conclusion and Mac wanted to deliver that.

Later he was handed another pile of shit again, this time he had to clean up the retarded mess the new studio had made out of the spinoff sequel. The retarded interns who had put together some of the multiplayer for the third game were handed a blank check and told to get to work and what they cobbled together was a fucking No Man's Sky wannabe that no normal person found fun to play and had basically no content to speak of. Everything was broken as fuck and they still hadn't figured out the direction of the game. So in comes Mac and salvages what he can from that clusterfuck. Along with that Codexer, Ian "Tiberius" Frasier, who was the team leader of the Ultima V Lazarus mod for fucking Dung Siege, who got the job to patch up the broken gameplay and systems. From what I hear the moment to moment gameplay of Andromeda didn't suck donkey balls.

Mac gets a lot of shit, but he's the best guy EA still have with them and he's just as much of a cringy virgin like the Mass Effect fanbase. I bet he jacks off to rule34 of ME characters. In that funhouse he's actually the sole voice of reason though. He won't turn the remasters into a shitshow at the very least and he won't go off the reservation with stupid fucking bullshit like the Dragon Age soybeards would have.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
The entire plot of ME3 was utter shit. It's a shitshow from start to finish. They introduce a macguffin in the final part of the trilogy and the story centers entirely on that. It's only the excellent character writing that manages to hold things together until the end.
Unfortunately that ending is such a massive pile of retardation that everything falls apart all the same. For example, designing your macguffing to launch the death laser by blowing up a power conduit (??) and then deciding to shoot it at point blank range and having it explode in your face ???? Why not activate by pushing a button and having the macguffin blow up through overloading? The end result is the same, but what they went with is just so mindbogglingly retarded that I wonder what they were smoking.

And voice of reason, holy shit. If it was up to Mac, the deux ex machina ending would have been even more of a lore dump that it was now. He's high on his own farts. Of course players would want nothing more than to end a trilogy by asking questions of the machine god to find out all of the interesting answers that genius Mac has come up with. And he wanted to throw even more resources and time on the Anderson conversation? Good on Casey for restraining the lunatic, but too little too late.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It's only the excellent character writing that manages to hold things together until the end.
The character writing in ME3 is fanservicy garbage.

Liara - leading the forces of the Shadow Broker and yet still finds the time to follow Shepard around.
Garrus - randomly became a leader among his people.
Tali - also became a leader among her people.
Grunt - became a leader of a mercenary company despite the fact that his ME2 quests firmly established he's nothing more than a follower.
Jack - went from being a mentally ill mess to apparently being fit enough to be a teacher.

The stuff that isn't fanservice is garbage too. Ashley/Kaidan's endless whining, Legion and the geth in general got character assassinated, James.

Semiurge

Cipher
I never buy Origin or Ubisoft titles on Steam. What's the point when you still have to run their respective clients as well?

These are the sort of games one can pirate with good conscience. The developers/publishers are just asking for it for making everything as inconvenient as possible to the paying customers.

It's only the excellent character writing that manages to hold things together until the end.

Liara - leading the forces of the Shadow Broker and yet still finds the time to follow Shepard around.
Grunt - became a leader of a mercenary company despite the fact that his ME2 quests firmly established he's nothing more than a follower.
Jack - went from being a mentally ill mess to apparently being fit enough to be a teacher.

The stuff that isn't fanservice is garbage too. Ashley/Kaidan's endless whining, Legion and the geth in general got character assassinated, James.

Shepard turns his back for a second and everyone gets delusions of grandeur.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I wouldn't say those are egregious. They have theoretically (i.e. if you have taken them in your party) taken part in actual real battles and missions, and have proven themselves as skilled professionals, while at the same time getting more invaluable experience within their line of work. It's not surprising they are given leader or teacher positions. There are less qualified leaders and teachers irl. I'm not entirely sure what Liara's role as a Shadow Broker is, though. I mean I don't know what she actually does. She sells info, sure, but the details elude me. I'm pretty sure she doesn't go on reconnaissance trips with her agents, she only gets the actual info they acquire. There's also the fact the games take place during a significant period of time. It seems to us like everything happens one after the other, but it's not like that to the characters, so that's why I'm also pretty sure Liara has the time to deal with the Shadow Broker business. Is all of this a bit fanservice-y? Yeah, maybe, but it's not unbelievable or too much out there.

Sykar

Arcane
I sincerely do not understand how anyone could consider ME1 the best game in the series. Well, it is without doubt the best in terms of atmosphere. But at the same time it is a bad RPG with an impotent skill system. It is a bad exploration game with copy-paste planets. And it is a bad TPS game with uninteresting and repetitive enemies.

ME2 stopped pretending to be a role-playing game and completely ditched all exploration, but at least it became a decent (not great, but decent!) TPS game. Gameplay-wise, I prefer any consequent ME game -- even ME:A -- to ME1.

ME 1 was the best in the series because it set up an interesting premise and was at least somewhat decently though far from perfectly executed and is a good example of sum being better than its parts. One could see the potential if only several of the parts had been done better like Mako/exploration and inventory management for example. Overall it was a very rough diamond. ME 2 by comparison was so retarded on all fronts requiring huge amounts of retconning that I am baffled to this day that there are brain dead retards who can excuse this hot mess of pure undiluted mental diarrhea. The sheer scope of idiocy that is ME 2 story probably exceeds even Fallout 3s which is quite an accomplishment to be able to slip under a bar so deep you have to jump down a sewer drain to even attempt passing below it Limbo style and yet ME 2 did so with flowing colors.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I wouldn't say those are egregious. They have theoretically (i.e. if you have taken them in your party) taken part in actual real battles and missions, and have proven themselves as skilled professionals, while at the same time getting more invaluable experience within their line of work. It's not surprising they are given leader or teacher positions.

Yeah, your followers are among the very very few people who took part in events that affected the entire galaxy, it makes perfect sense they'll get more recognition.

I'm not entirely sure what Liara's role as a Shadow Broker is, though. I mean I don't know what she actually does. She sells info, sure, but the details elude me.

IIRC from the Shadow Broker DLC
most of the nitty gritty details was already automated by the original shadow broker - the one that the shadow broker you killed replaced - so there is little input you need to have and Liara is in communication with that flying thing while she's away anyway
. I mean, yeah, it is hand-wavy, but this is a universe with AI walls and such, so it isn't that far fetched :-P.

The only dumb thing about it really is that the mission statement of Mass Effect from before even the first game came out was that the player's choices would have a mass effect on how the game unfolded. What it should have done is had the player work to get this or that character in such and such position to further help the player reach some end goal.

Sykar

Arcane
The only dumb thing about it really is that the mission statement of Mass Effect from before even the first game came out was that the player's choices would have a mass effect on how the game unfolded. What it should have done is had the player work to get this or that character in such and such position to further help the player reach some end goal.

Not quite sure how you believe that should work out. Could you give an example for me to better understand where you are going with this train of thought please?

J1M

Arcane

Not quite sure how you believe that should work out. Could you give an example for me to better understand where you are going with this train of thought please?
He wanted more missions like the DLC where you install Liara as the Shadow Broker. For example, maybe your deeds grant you the ability to install someone on the Citadel Council mid-game that has an impact on the outcome. (Instead of what they did with Udina.) Or you can help Garrus in a bid to become elected Sheriff of the Citadel by helping him dismantle the Elcor Cartel. Or you fix Miranda's relationship with her dad and now you have the resources of his commercial empire at your disposal, etc.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
ME 1 was the best in the series because it set up an interesting premise and was at least somewhat decently though far from perfectly executed and is a good example of sum being better than its parts. One could see the potential if only several of the parts had been done better like Mako/exploration and inventory management for example. Overall it was a very rough diamond. ME 2 by comparison was so retarded on all fronts requiring huge amounts of retconning that I am baffled to this day that there are brain dead retards who can excuse this hot mess of pure undiluted mental diarrhea. The sheer scope of idiocy that is ME 2 story probably exceeds even Fallout 3s which is quite an accomplishment to be able to slip under a bar so deep you have to jump down a sewer drain to even attempt passing below it Limbo style and yet ME 2 did so with flowing colors.
ME2 is the best game in the series

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I think Mass Effect 3 is the best game in the series, and I'll fight any man who says otherwise. Mass Effect 1 is good too.

Mass Effect 2 has very strong character side-stories, the best DLC in the series, and the way that the final mission is structured is cool, but the overall plot is dumb. It's never made sense and has never seemed terribly connected to the overall plot of the series (it's a silly side-story where reapers are stealing human DNA to make a giant reaper/human....for some reason).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
ME1 is the best in the series, for the exploration, the gameplay and the plot. ME2 improved the shooting action. But I can't care less about the popamole shooting. If I want to play a shooter I would rather play Mario.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom