Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's really just

supergreatfriend, Ross's Game Dungeon, and if I am feeling super nostalgic
retsupurae

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
1-6 > 1D6.
Bullshit.

The variance information can sometimes be important (targetting a group of 20 enemies with 5 hit points each with a 2D10 damage grenade instead of a 1D20 one) and people without an RPG background are the most penalized ones because they can't even assume this information based on 2-20 instead of 1-20.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The variance information can sometimes be important (targetting a group of 20 enemies with 5 hit points each with a 2D10 damage grenade instead of a 1D20 one)

Please explain because i do not understand your example... what is the variance of information you speak of in your example? 2D10 is 2..20 and 1D20 is 1..20, so it is a difference between these two? What does the number of enemies and their hitpoints have to do? What is lost if the comparison was "targeting a group of 20 enemies with 5 hit points each with a 2..20 damage grenade instead of a 1..20 one"?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Any time you roll more than one die, you normalize the outcome around the mean. For example, 1d12 is 1-12 with each outcome having the same probability, but 2d6 is 2-12 with 7 being 6 times more probable than 2 or 12.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any time you roll more than one die, you normalize the outcome around the mean. For example, 1d12 is 1-12 with each outcome having the same probability, but 2d6 is 2-12 with 7 being 6 times more probable than 2 or 12.

Yep, always been the tradeoff with double dice weapons.

Consistency vs higher rolls.

Myself I've always been a falchion guy. Though more for the crit range than the 2d4 dice.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, if I see 1-20, 2-20, 2-21 then I'll assume, probably more often right that wrong if the game uses a very traditional system and maybe only in that case, that we're talking about 1D20, 2D10 and 1D20+1.

It could totally be something else with another probability distribution (typically all uniform, 1D20, 1D19+1, 1D20+1) but in the case where my assumption is right (2-20 is not uniform) then someone who's not at all into RPGs won't make the assumption anyway and have less information than I do.

And since this information is not completely anodyne, for example the probability to kill an enemy with 5 remaining hps with 2D10 damage is higher than with 1D20 damages while the probability to kill an enemy with 19 hps is higher with 1D20 damages than with 2D10 damages then he's the one who's penalized the most by the supposedly simpler "2-20" notation because he has no idea what's behind it, more than the old-schooler who simply prefers the notation with dices but understands what "2-20" means here.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting, thanks for explaining, i never considered that. I wrote a small program to draw the histogram for 1 million hits in a 2..12 table using a random 2..12 range and then random 1..6 + 1..6 ranges, which helped me understand the case:

aRxoeyC.png

(though FWIW if a game displays a range or a percentage, i'd expect the distribution to be uniform unless otherwise mentioned)

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

not sure what's the consensus but whatever

Strat-Edgy is a so fucking retarded dumbfuck that he bitched Pathfinder: Kingmaker having elemental damage, like electrical damage from wisps, and hadn't figured out that there's protection spells against those. I think he also complained about poison, and hadn't figured out that there's delay poison spell. Just based on that he should be ignored completely. He's the same caliber of dumbfuck as that Chris Davis guy.

Venser

Erudite

This was a really cool video about finding some rare McDonald's DS game and streaming it's gameplay for the first time in history. I can't believe how invested I became in some shitty McDonald's employee training game but this video was a rollercoaster ride. Well worth a watch.

deuxhero

Arcane

Guy explains all the parts of armor, what it is, how it works and why its done that way with citations to period art, surviving artifacts and documents to show everything is accurate. Really makes you appreciate good video game armor and hate bad armor more. Don't be offput by the initial low quality, as he quickly improves in the series both visually (the weird lighting is only for that first video) and in "public" speaking.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
He tends to pivot wildly from subject to subject in the rest of his videos, but TheGamingBritShow fits a good niche when he's talking about obscure rezzy-style survival horrors and early-2000s mascot platformers.

otteaux

Novice
I just finished listening to the dfortae interview with Matt Barton, and - as an oldfag - it almost hurt to listen to. Especially the last hour or so.

Really made me miss the old days of mapping dungeons on graph paper, and hanging with my friends during summer break trying to figure out puzzles and strategies to the latest RPG... when I wasn't chasing skirts and hanging out by the liquor store trying to get someone to buy us beer.

Those two guys are really doing a service with keeping the flame alive. Matt's channel especially is a great document for the legacy of 80's gaming. We'd never have all the "deep lore" behind the development of the classics without him. Dude's a fucking national treasure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom