Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

barghwata

Savant
Oh......... god forgive me....................... it was Oblivion that took my maidenhood. :negative:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Fallout: Tactics demo. I had been playing video games before, but I couldn't understand enough english to actually play narrative or mechanically deep games where the systems aren't obvious.
I installed FOT, well, because I'd try all demos I could get my hands on, but also because I thought its a strategy game. Had no clue what an RPG is. Some elitists here would insist Tactics isn't even an RPG, I'm sure, but if Diablo passes, then FOT passes too.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
My first RPG were TERA and The Bard's Tale 1 (in French). I remember remembering reading in the manual that "robes" could stop "old knifes" and wondering whether the weapon the skeletons were using were indeed "old knifes", because well back then I did not know RPG conventions about AC and DR.http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2017/03/revisiting-tera-la-cite-des-cranes-1986.html

After that I remember playing in no particular order Ring of Zilfin and Le Maître des Ames. Ring of Zilfin I think we did not have the codes so it became insanely difficult at some point, or maybe I just sucked back then.
Le Maître des Ames was incredibly atmospheric, and had something no other dungeon crawler I know ever had.

And then, there was Fallout 1, Ultima VII and Lands of Lore - and I got into the "early classical era".

That's like the 6 RPG of when I was a kid.

(Edit : Forget the Bard's Tale

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fallout 1 demo. Short and sweet intro to the character system and the world. I'll forever remember that minigun and the over the top dismembering animations, the doc and his body parts business, etc. I played it many times.

I was too young and too poor to buy the game at the time, but it had firmly taken my virginity.

Not sure if there was something before it. I played Diablo before the full game though, since someone gave it to me as a gift (my first owned game, I had also been playing the 2-lvl demo for too long lol). Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe my first was Might & Magic 6 after all, since a buddy of my father lent him the discs...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Moria-like-game.png

The Dungeons of Moria
That was also my first taste of Tolkiens universe. When I read LotR for the first time a few years later the section in Moria didn't exactly match up with what I was expecting.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Technically, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail or Pokémon Red were the first, but Diablo II was the first which really made an impact.

Trashos

Arcane
Fallout.
Then Fallout2, the BGs, and PST.

I could call that initial bunch "false advertising" for the rest of the genre. But later I found the Codex, and it guided me to more incline.

snoek

Cipher
Fallout: I read about it in the game magazines, tried the demo and then got the full game months later after begging for it for months.
I was very young still and I didn't 100% get the game all the time but that was the main one. I completed it like 2 or 3 years after I first got it and gave it another shot.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Diablo. My dad came home with pirated games all the time from work, and for some reason thought Diablo was definitely the one to give the 10 year old boy on the week of Christmas. He was very correct.

Nothing much of an RPG, but it was my gateway to more proper RPGs, probably, starting with Baldur's Gate. Not to mention devil worship and tits.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Diablo, then Baldur's Gate and Fallout 2.

There was also Stonekeep before that, but i did not understand how to play it at the time.

Last edited:

eli

Learned
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion had kidnapped me, a 15 years old virgin, and molested me for several replays. after my escape from being a bethsdafanboy i have tried several other games like NV or the witcher, both of which give a much better sex experience. (they can not put a fight against DoS2 relationship simulator tho)

Salvo

Arcane
Gothic 2. My father bought it for me when I was a kid. Another reason why I love that game.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Started playing on my dad's computer as a toddler when he brought day of the tentacle back home. Later, he bought a packard bell and got free games shipped with it. Among them were titles like MDK2 and Baldur's Gate.
Spent all my time on Baldur's Gate, I thought the Nashkel Mines were the end of the game :lol:

I probably spent an unhealthy amount of time on Day of the tentacle because I remember something like 10+ years later booting it on my pc and realising that I knew every single solution to every step of the game. This was such a weird experience to feel the unquestionable need to put an hamster in an ice cube tray.
I did everything naturally while discovering the story. It was some Jason Bourne shit.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hmmm.

Ultima Underworld is technically the first RPG I put my hands on, but I was too young to grasp much other than the long adark hallways were spooky, I hated fighting enemies, and everyone in the 'towns' were disgusting filth.

Baldur's Gate I think was the first actual RPG I played and grasped, which I then traded a copy to a guy for Baldur's Gate II in what was possibly the greatest trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever. Really delved into BG2, but the story/setting wasn't much my jam.

Then two games simultaneously nuked my life: Morrowind and a pirated copy of Fallout 2. I think these were the first two RPGs I really got into "as" RPGs. Where I started larping and really honing in the loser sides of my personality, sharpening all the quirks and oddities that make one detestable to their fellow man and, especially, the fairer sex.

Naturally, I consider these two games my first true explorations into the genre.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Summoner I think. I remember loving that game as a kid but I got stuck and couldn't finish it. Didn't have a computer so looking up a walkthrough wasn't possible. I've got it in my Steam library now and had a go at it not too long ago. Didn't have the patience to play it for long as an adult. It hasn't aged well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom