Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Even in Early Access, Baldur's Gate 3 is an incredibly long game. So, of course, we were surprised to see that speedrunner Professor Palmer can finish the game in under six minutes. With a playthrough this quick, we knew we had to show Larian Studios what was possible in their game. So ride along with Alexandre Barrette (QA Lead), Farhang Namdar (World Building Director), and Nick Pechenin (Lead Systems Designer) as they watch and react to years of their hard work getting crushed in a matter of minutes.

^ I'd rather have a mechanic than can be exploited, which ultimately is up to the player, than a game that has been "balanced" to mitigate all "exploits". How many people are going to play the game, just to break it via speed run/exploit? Why waste any time/resources adjusting something that most people won't exploit?

I don't mind the jump/climbing aspect, as it is necessitated by the games verticality (exploration/ect).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It does a good job of highlighting how poorly they've thought out their jump implementation.
Just because there is a couple of people out of a million who can break the game, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the game. Speedrunners are a different kind of niche, devs shouldn't base their design around their exploits. I mean, Fallout is not a worse game just because a speedrunner can break it and finish it in 10 minutes.

Bah

Arcane
It does a good job of highlighting how poorly they've thought out their jump implementation.
Just because there is a couple of people out of a million who can break the game, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the game. Speedrunners are a different kind of niche, devs shouldn't base their design around their exploits. I mean, Fallout is not a worse game just because a speedrunner can break it and finish it in 10 minutes.

I specifically said "jump implementation". That doesn't have anything to do with speed running in itself, nor was it a claim that the game is bad.

When jump essentially makes your character invisible, allowing enemies to not see you as you fly over them, the mechanic has a problem. Jump is not stealth, nor should it be.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

When jump essentially makes your character invisible, allowing enemies to not see you as you fly over them, the mechanic has a problem.

Not if it is balanced for that.

In the best game ever made, the players had invisibility, and invisibility to undead. The undead could see you even if you were invisible and you couldn't use both at the same time so you had to be careful! You could invis and sneak past orcs and wolves and stuff. But then there would be a ghoul or some icebone skeletons or something that could see you, so you had to wait for there to be enough space to remove your invisibility and then use invis vs undead before anything saw you... And that's just before you even got to where you were going. You could also levitate and jump off a roof or something and the enemies would have to go all the way around. And if the worst came to the worst, my guy could pretend to be dead and enemies would stop attacking and go home. And yet everyone died all the time and the game was brutal.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I have no idea if it is balanced or not, I'm just saying it 'could' be easily balanced. It is far too early for me to care. For all we know they could make it so you become even more visible when you fly instead of invisible. Or they could remove the flying completely. Or make it so you are stunned when you land or whatever.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone here tested the sorcerer mod?

W6GMvtN.png

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/107

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"Ay yo cracka! We wuz socerers and shiiiiiiiiit!"

Modders putted lv 5/6 content into the game before Larian.

could make it so you become even more visible when you fly instead of invisible. Or they could remove the flying completely.

I don't care about balance. Fly is extremely cool and should be in the game.

Also, everything that a PC can use, a NPC can use. I wanna fight dragons that can fly. We have great dragon fights in ARPG's like Dragon's Dogma and Gothic 2 - RETURNING(not confuse with vanilla G2), why not finally having great dragon fights on CRPG's topo?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The real problem with jumping and exploration is the fact that it takes no real skill investment and the AI is too retarded to follow you, making it incredibly tedious.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
There aren't power levels in D&D like it's Dragon Ball Z or something. The power of a god depends on their portfolio and how many worshipers they have.
There's a distinction between lesser, intermediate and greater deities, for one. It's not like the capabilities of gods are arbitrary. There are no rules for blowing your load investing your divine essence into things but I doubt gods can just do it without giving some of their power away in the process.
It is written that Mystra specifically had more than 50% of her power locked away in her various Chosen and stuff. So, creating special snowflake will decrease a God's power.

The thing is, worship gives it right back, so if you are suitable capitalistic about it, you can have a God that creates his own worshippers and thereby increasing his power by spending power.

Worship as power source is easily exploited, and is as dumb as it sounds. Look at the kind of power Cyric (of all people) commands, and that is after he nuked his own centre of power (Zhentil Keep) in an ego-inspired stupidity, and is reduced to covert bands of assassins and Evululz types. Now, imagine the tens of millions of leftard cucks of western civilisation worshipping Bane. Ao better watch his back.

Worship being actually necessary for a god's power was Ao's decree after the Time of Troubles - that is to say, it's a VERY recent development, some 150 years old.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

However even in that 5ed changed a lot of things. For example after the second sundering the Gods went from silent to quiet. They do select a few mortals to represent them however they have no more direct connection with the clerics like it was in the 3.5 so a cleric could retain his power even if it does something technically contrary at the divinity it follows. As long he does that believing it was the right thing to serve his god.

makchanka

Arbiter
I have no idea if it is balanced or not, I'm just saying it 'could' be easily balanced. It is far too early for me to care. For all we know they could make it so you become even more visible when you fly instead of invisible. Or they could remove the flying completely. Or make it so you are stunned when you land or whatever.

BG I and II weren't balanced at all, which is a huge part of what makes them so enduring.

If they'd had a balanced magic system it would have been boring as shit

Cael

Arcane
However even in that 5ed changed a lot of things. For example after the second sundering the Gods went from silent to quiet. They do select a few mortals to represent them however they have no more direct connection with the clerics like it was in the 3.5 so a cleric could retain his power even if it does something technically contrary at the divinity it follows. As long he does that believing it was the right thing to serve his god.
That was started in Eberron and was basically a nod to the dramaqueen cunts who want to be Evil while putting Lawful Good on their character sheets. Remember that one of the Cardinals of the Church of the Silver Flame (LG deity) is downright Evil.

Cael

Arcane
There aren't power levels in D&D like it's Dragon Ball Z or something. The power of a god depends on their portfolio and how many worshipers they have.
There's a distinction between lesser, intermediate and greater deities, for one. It's not like the capabilities of gods are arbitrary. There are no rules for blowing your load investing your divine essence into things but I doubt gods can just do it without giving some of their power away in the process.
It is written that Mystra specifically had more than 50% of her power locked away in her various Chosen and stuff. So, creating special snowflake will decrease a God's power.

The thing is, worship gives it right back, so if you are suitable capitalistic about it, you can have a God that creates his own worshippers and thereby increasing his power by spending power.

Worship as power source is easily exploited, and is as dumb as it sounds. Look at the kind of power Cyric (of all people) commands, and that is after he nuked his own centre of power (Zhentil Keep) in an ego-inspired stupidity, and is reduced to covert bands of assassins and Evululz types. Now, imagine the tens of millions of leftard cucks of western civilisation worshipping Bane. Ao better watch his back.

Worship being actually necessary for a god's power was Ao's decree after the Time of Troubles - that is to say, it's a VERY recent development, some 150 years old.
When I read the Avatar series, the impression I got was that the relationship already existed (hence the Greater, Intermediate, Lesser and Demi statuses already existed), but the gods are not as badly affected as they will be when Ao modified the rules. Now, they can actually die, which was a new thing to them. Previously, it was just a measure of prestige and power.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1086940/announcements/detail/2894088190702891543

Pre-patch Announcement

Hello everyone!

Patch 3 (which hasn’t been named yet) is just around the corner, and with it comes the first changes that affect story. Unfortunately, this means Patch 3 will introduce the first save incompatibility, transitioning to the new version.

Fret not, however! Each patch will come alongside a secondary branch which will allow you to continue playing the previous version with your existing savegames, until you decide you’re ready to play on the latest version. Maybe you’d like to wait for a few patches to pass, for example, before you re-roll. Totally up to you!

It’ll work like this:

The secondary branch will be the previous version, but the primary branch (default download) will be the latest version. To access the secondary branch, do the following:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select patch2
  • Close the properties menu

If you do the above steps, you are all set to continue your current playthrough.

If you are unsure whether you want to update to the new patch, we recommend disabling automatic updates now, so that you have the choice to manually update to the new patch or opt-in to the secondary branch once the patch arrives. To disable automatic updates follow the below steps:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the Updates tab
  • Select "only update the game when I launch it" in the drop down menu

You can already move to the beta branch now, if you’d like to protect your save file and continue on the current version. Note: save files are not ‘deleted’ from your computer; they’ll remain in your folder, but you’ll only be able to load saves specific to their respective versions.

We know that having to switch branches may be annoying, but this is part of early access. All the feedback we’ve been gathering from your adventures and posts will go right into these patches, so next time you play it’ll feel like an experience you’ve helped to create.

Note: Branching unfortunately won’t be available on Stadia for the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom