Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was either Wasteland or Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception on C64.

Can’t remember for sure.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
First one I went "all the way" with was the original Fallout.

Been chasing the dragon ever since.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
C64 version of Phantasie III.
iu

BlackGoat

Arbiter
First taste was watching my older brother play Wizardry V and Ultima V on our Apple II. First real experience of my own was the year I bought Fallout 2, Might and Magic 6, and Baldur's Gate in quick succession. It was a good year.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ultima III Exodus was my RPG Cherry popper (Apple ][ version). Still an awesome game.

Skulks off into the corner to fire up an emulator
Same but the DOS version. Took me like a year to figure out you needed to go down the whirlpool.

Sizzle

Arcane
Realms of Arkania III - Shadows Over Riva.

My dad bought it for me to soften the blow of having to tell me mom was pregnant again :D

Had no idea what I was doing half the time, and I played the game with a copy of the Oxford Dictionary on my desk - which I flipped open every couple of minutes to learn what words such as "avarice" meant :D

Up until that point I mostly played platformers and adventure games, but this game showed me the awesomeness of RPGs.

A year or so after that I got Fallout 1, and the rest is history :obviously:

V_K

Arcane
Hmm, it depends.
My first CRPG-like thing was Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest on NES. But it doesn't count since it's on a console and not quite an RPG.
My first CRPG-like thing on PC was Diablo. But it doesn't count either since it's not quite an RPG.
My first proper CRPG was Shadows over Riva. I guess that's what formed my idea of what a CRPG should be like: party-based, turn-based, open-ended (at least superficially) and focused on exploration much more than combat. But it also gave me some very silly ideas - for a few years, my main criterion for a good RPG was the number of stats the characters had. Not the depth of the mechanics they're involved in mind you, just the number of numbers. What can I say, I was a teen.
But I guess my "gateway drug" to CRPGs were actually CYOA-style books whose titles I don't remember anymore.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Stonekeep

Gameplay was bad, but man, the presentation was top notch. The skeletons in this game also gave me quite some nightmares.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Baldur's Gate 1 was the only one that mattered. Diablo 1 said fingering didn't count.

Vincent2211

Novice
Betrayal at Krondor was the first for me; Phantasy Star IV was the first jrpg for me as well.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Diablo 1 was the first one I played, my cousin had it (he was about 12 and I was 8) and my mom wouldn't let me take it home to keep playing for some crazy reason.

upload_2020-11-23_15-9-19.png

So the first one that I played to completion was Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom