Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Clink

Educated
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

I would end up playing older stuff on PC and some Apple computer a few years later, but the first one I really remember playing was Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Sega Genesis over at a friends house after school back when that came out.

genesis_dungeonsanddragonswarriorsoftheeternalsun.jpg

DaDWotES_MD_US_PrintAdvert.jpg

Last edited:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
The first game I was so freaken amazed by, was actually just a game I saw on a neighbor's computer.
It looked kind of like might and magic, but it was a commodore or somerhing, so it was way more advance than my Mac 2 or whatever I had.
I don't remember if I played the Mac 2 games much, but if it wasn't on Mac 2, then the first RPG might have been either Ys or Miracle Warriors. Or maybe Phantasy star.
Actually, don't remember if I played RPGs before that on a Mac.
So I will go with those.

Edit: Of course I also played actual D&D with friends. The red book.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Neverwinter Nights, without any expansions. Never really liked the base campaign though, as a child I wasn't much for story and now...well...I may still like it, but I'm not going to pretend its story is anything interesting. Still feels nostalgic when its just the base game, no expansions or patches. A piece of strange gaming history, lost to time.

Null Null

Arbiter
Neverwinter Nights, without any expansions. Never really liked the base campaign though, as a child I wasn't much for story and now...well...I may still like it, but I'm not going to pretend its story is anything interesting. Still feels nostalgic when its just the base game, no expansions or patches. A piece of strange gaming history, lost to time.

The original 1991 version? You've seen the offline beta and the FRUA conversion I hope?

Murk

Arcane
fc31526c0a2b6a63f9404522be6bf185.jpg

Eye of the Beholder

Can't say I loved it, but it made me want to see what else there was in this setting -- stumbled onto D&D as a result and goldbox games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't remember. Not even sure if this is an RPG but my first was probably this:

I also saw I think "The Hobbit" as a game back then which was just text based. But I didn't play it more than saying go West.

On PC my first was either: Heimdall, Eotb 2, Ultima Underworld, or some other one I had on a demo disk and it looked really good but you could hardly do anything in the demo :/ It was like first person blobber but all the doors were locked.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 1. I was like 5 and couldn't figure out how to play (or read for that matter) but the creepy atmosphere stuck with me.

v1rus

Arcane
Might and Magic 7 I'd say, shortly followed by Gothic.

If we count JRPGs, then Shining Force.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

The original 1991 version? You've seen the offline beta and the FRUA conversion I hope?
What? No, I'm talking about the Bioware version without the expansions and patches. Most people don't go out of their way to play the original version of a game, without expansions and patches, hence my final statement.

rojay

Scholar
Adventure on the Atari. I was 10 (11), I think and even then I knew a dragon shouldn't look like a duck.

When they came out, my friends and I sat in front of a screen and played through the first three Wizardry games, the first two Ultimas and I'm pretty sure we all beat Bard's Tale 1-3 together taking turns controlling one or two characters each.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom