Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Puukko

Arcane
Baten Kaitos (GC) has one of the more interesting fatal crashes I've come across: you get cards as loot (it's a card based JRPG) and some are bugged so that they flicker on the loot screen and then crash the emulator a few seconds later if you don't proceed. They also flicker in the deck menu but that doesn't seem to cause crashes. Time to start hammering through the loot window and use save states I guess.

Edit: scratch that, they crash in the shop menu at least. Of course, those glitchy cards are the ones you want to sell...

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Baten Kaitos (GC) has one of the more interesting fatal crashes I've come across: you get cards as loot (it's a card based JRPG) and some are bugged so that they flicker on the loot screen and then crash the emulator a few seconds later if you don't proceed. They also flicker in the deck menu but that doesn't seem to cause crashes. Time to start hammering through the loot window and use save states I guess.

Edit: scratch that, they crash in the shop menu at least. Of course, those glitchy cards are the ones you want to sell...

Disable Dual Core.

Puukko

Arcane
Huh, that seems to have fixed it.

Not the first thing I would have thought of, is dual core prone to causing issues?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Huh, that seems to have fixed it.

Not the first thing I would have thought of, is dual core prone to causing issues?

Timing errors.

I wouldn't say its prone, but things not syncing up properly can happen.
The Gamecube wasn't exactly set up for multi-threading and those cards may have been particular finnicky.

Sadly, issues like this are usually low on the priority list. Adding to that this was reported as *fixed* once (maybe it worked for a while) and never reopened.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS NEW COMPUTER NEW PROBLEMS

FXLgy93.jpg

MOVING ALL MY FILES AND SHIT TO NEW COMPUTER

MOST EVERYTHING WORKED GOOD

FOUND OUT I NEVER FIXED MY SATURN EMULATOR PROBLEM

MEDNAFEN IS SHIT SO EITHER YABAUSE OR SSF SINCE WINDOWS 10 MOUNTS ISOS I MIGHT JUST USE SSF

AMIGA AND COMMODORE WORK FINE THANK FUCKING GOD THOSE WERE A BITCH TO SET UP WITH A FRONTEND

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Driver 2 got unofficial PC port. Better option than bug ridden emulation experience.
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/play...-gets-an-unofficial-pc-port-running-at-60fps/

Not the first time something like that happened.

This was accomplished because the developers left PSX debug symbols in the retail build of the game, something which SCEA reminded developers not to do. This was the era of Bleem! after all.

If they make online playable then it would be a blast.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Sorry for maybe a stupid question, but what best ways to emulate Mario 64, Mario Galaxy (1 & 2), Luigi Mansion 3 (if not possible, then earlier games in series), Zelda games (there so many of them and many reviewers bring them on any occasion, I decided to check for myself to decide shall I send another reviewer to fuck himself for bringing comparison X game to X Zelda game)?
Normally I wouldn't ask about this, but I skimmed through my memory and found out that many PC games that I wanted to play - finished (not all but still) or haven't came out, so I decided to try something different.

Edit: I know that in first post there long ass list of emulators, but thread started 7 years ago, so I decided to ask in case something changed.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Sorry for maybe a stupid question, but what best ways to emulate Mario 64, Mario Galaxy (1 & 2), Luigi Mansion 3 (if not possible, then earlier games in series), Zelda games (there so many of them and many reviewers bring them on any occasion, I decided to check for myself to decide shall I send another reviewer to fuck himself for bringing comparison X game to X Zelda game)?
Normally I wouldn't ask about this, but I skimmed through my memory and found out that many PC games that I wanted to play - finished (not all but still) or haven't came out, so I decided to try something different.

Edit: I know that in first post there long ass list of emulators, but thread started 7 years ago, so I decided to ask in case something changed.

NES:
Messen

SNES:
Pick any of the bsnes cores in retroarch of your choosing.

N64:
ParaLLEl or mupen64 plus available in retroarch.

Gamecube-Wii:
Dolphin(use standalone and not retroarch)

gb/c/a:
MGBA

Ds:
Melonds and desmume if there are problems

Switch:
Yuzu

spekkio

Arcane
Sorry for maybe a stupid question.
Sheet. And I thought we have a list of recommended emus in 1st post of this thread for a reason.

Code:
Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

Yeah. A lot changed since 2013, son. For example, the list appeared a couple of years later.

:roll:

tl;dr

Maybe you should consider sticking to PC AAA games and console exclusives, instead of sailing the demanding seas of emulation.

I'm kidding
Equip the ring next time

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sorry for maybe a stupid question.
Sheet. And I thought we have a list of recommended emus in 1st post of this thread for a reason.

Code:
Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

Yeah. A lot changed since 2013, son. For example, the list appeared a couple of years later.

:roll:

tl;dr

Maybe you should consider sticking to PC AAA games and console exclusives, instead of sailing the demanding seas of emulation.

I'm kidding
Equip the ring next time

In that case might I suggest adding Sameboy core on RA for GB/GBC? Most accurate Gameboy emulator for a while. No idea why that one always gets under the radar.
And of course Duckstation for PS1 which has recently mostly caught up to Beetle PSX and surpasses it in some cases.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Mobygames is something else.

Rpg genre has rpg elements category????
Yakuza is a rpg while system shock has rpg elements???
Dungeon crawler theme doesn't exist but social simulation does for the rpg genre????

Also love how they have 3 separate libraries with all of them being useless without each other.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Mobygames is nice, but is has a shitton of incorrect information. What genre something is depends entirely on what the submitter or editor selected and its rarely changed, only when new elements are added. Don't forget that narrative, setting and theme are impossible to parse down into something readable, gotta look through all of them now, because that's fun. Oh, you know all those magazine ratings? They're almost always pointing to the wrong issue. TBH, knowing the kind of people who get into positions of power on sites like that its no wonder the site is slowly becoming unusable.

Vyadhis

Learned
Is Panzer Dragoon saga fully playable on a saturn emulator yet? Its a title I always wanted as a kid but no saturn and I really don't want to spend thousands of dollars for a copy.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Is Panzer Dragoon saga fully playable on a saturn emulator yet? Its a title I always wanted as a kid but no saturn and I really don't want to spend thousands of dollars for a copy.

Yes, it works fine on Kronos (Retroarch core)

Vyadhis

Learned
Is it possible to trade between emulators for Pokemon Heartgold/Soul Silver for dsmelon or melonds? Will it work with the retroarch cores?

deuxhero

Arcane
MelonDS supports emulated Nintendo WiFi Connection from what I can tell, and Pokemon is one of the games that actually has emulated NWFC to use it with. No idea on direct connection.

Vyadhis

Learned
MelonDS supports emulated Nintendo WiFi Connection from what I can tell, and Pokemon is one of the games that actually has emulated NWFC to use it with. No idea on direct connection.
Do you know if I need to use the stand alone MelonDS or if I can launch it from retroarch?

deuxhero

Arcane
Why the fuck would you use RetroArch for anything except possibly emulators with no/worse GUI than RetroArch (something that doesn't include MelonDS)?

Vyadhis

Learned
Why the fuck would you use RetroArch for anything except possibly emulators with no/worse GUI than RetroArch (something that doesn't include MelonDS)?
You're right, I'm fucking retarded and thought the retroarch version was different or something. I'm just sticking to regular melonDS.

Another emulator question but was there ever any fix for the lag/loadtimes in the psp port of FFT? I really liked the extra jobs and content of that version.

flyingjohn

Arcane
You're right, I'm fucking retarded and thought the retroarch version was different or something. I'm just sticking to regular melonDS.

Another emulator question but was there ever any fix for the lag/loadtimes in the psp port of FFT? I really liked the extra jobs and content of that version.
Slowdown fix:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/979/
If that one doesn't work try any other slowdown fixes available on that site

Duraframe300

Arcane
Ds:
Melonds and desmume if there are problems

MelonDS has really gone ahead in the last year. Though I (sadly) wouldn't be surprised if the author offs himself someday in the future (severely depressed tranny using the project and community as distraction/enabling). So I dunno about its future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom