Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Diablo. I'm a spoiled lil bitch.

But when I got my hands on Fallout that was my first real cRPG though.

DaveO

Erudite
I'm not 100% sure which RPG I played first. There were several that I remember from the Atari 800 platform. There was the multi-disk game Crystalware's Fantasyland 2041, Crystalware's House of Usher, Stuart Smith's Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, SSI's Phantasie I, Origin Ultima 2, SSI Wizard's Crown, Electronic Arts M.U.L.E, ?(not sure of publisher) Star Trek, or Epyx Rescue at Rigel. It's one of those nine. The most likely candidate is Ultima 2, but I played M.U.L.E with my youngest sister. We'd play together to beat the computer players in M.U.L.E into dust at the end of the final turn. She and I also played Ballblazer a LOT(I was good on about 1/2 of the tracks, and she was good on about 1/3. The rest of the tracks, we'd have about equal chance to beat each other). I have no clue on which adventure game I first played. Platformers, action games, or sims I also have no clue on which one I started first.

P.S. - I'm excluding Atari 2600 console from my list. I can't call Adventure an RPG.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane

Me too, although possibly before that I saw a friend playing Akalabeth and/or Temple of Apshai on their Apple II. I actually never got an Apple PC so only ever played Wizardry at friends' places until I eventually got an IBM PC around the time of Wizardry VI.

I did eventually get a C64 and was able to play the Ultima, Bard's Tale, Gold Box games etc on that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultima 7, I think. Hard to remember.
If we're counting jrpgs, either Secret of Mana (more of an action adventure game) or Mystic Quest, baby's first jrpg.

What a great, if flawed, game.

That concept art is beautiful.

Soundtrack way ahead of its time. So cheesy.

erohakase

Novice
Baldur's Gate 2. Initially played it as wee little child with less than ideal english reading skills so I never managed to finish it. I want to remember getting to the Underdark or something. 2 or 3 years later I went through both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB and I appreciated the gameplay and all that far more when I could actually comprehend what the fuck I was doing.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar for the NES. The Japanese-adapted one, a bizarre fusion of east and west. Also Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. That was probably my first "blobber", in fact.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The first one for me was probably one of the early Might & Magic games (no clue which one it was but from looking at the screenshots I would guess it was Clouds of Xeen or thereabouts), though I was like 8 and didnt know a single word of English so I just kinda pushed random buttons and watched wtf was happening before dropping it and never looking back (in fact the only Might & Magic I could ever tolerate for prolonged period of time was the VI).

The first RPG that I really got into was Shadows over Riva which was sold with the Czech edition of Gamestar in December 1999 and for quite some time was also one of the very few non-pirate games that I owned back in the day. The CD still sits in an honorable place in the top right drawer of my desk.

Last edited:

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I was more obsessed with point&click adventures and Civilization as a kid, so I started later on RPGs.
Castle Of The Winds on some shareware/demonstration CD would count as foreplay.
First big'un was Lands Of Lore in the Westwood 10th anniversary anthology.

DemonKing

Arcane
grad school, University of Illinois, the game was Oubliette, the time was the mid to late 1970s, and I do remember a lot of dope involved .... fuck, am I old now

I'm a bit younger and didn't start gaming till the advent of home computers in the 80s, but it's been really amazing to see the way games and technology have developed over my lifetime.

Sadly one big difference is as you age other priorities take over and you just don't have the time to invest in gaming as you used to which makes it especially hard to keep up with large, sprawling CRPGs. Guess I'll have a lot to look forward to catching up on in retirement...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Does Mail Order Monster count? If not, it's a blur that i can't remember the order of Dragon Warrior, Wizardry 5 or Pools of Radiance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom