Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is grinding ok?

Is grinding ok?

• Total voters

Maxie

Everyone knows what's grinding I'm not going to define it here
What's more interesting is - do you consider grinding ok?

Try to provide pros & cons if possible, such as

pros: allows a dynamic approach to challenges without straight up gating content with worse players getting better stats before they tackle shit

cons: it's fucking gruelling

Falksi

Arcane
i love when bitches grind on my dick

Word.

2hzIJav.jpg

just

Liturgist
when i was a young lad i had a summer job where i was grinding off sharp edges from some metal products
there wasnt a single person there who didnt have beer or cheap wine for breakfast and everything worked
not long after i left they forbid drinking and company went to shit
unrelated to the topic, there was a single woman working there and literally everyone had sexist comments all the fucking time. she always laughed or blow them off, i wonder if she was hurting inside
mixed feeling about grinding
metal, grains: no
games: no
ass: yes

Atrachasis

Augur
Everyone knows what's grinding I'm not going to define it here
What's more interesting is - do you consider grinding ok?

Try to provide pros & cons if possible, such as

pros: allows a dynamic approach to challenges without straight up gating content with worse players getting better stats before they tackle shit

cons: it's fucking gruelling

I find grinding acceptable as an optional gameplay element, as it gives the player an opportunity to compensate for a sub-optimal character build, and thus, in turn, gives the designer more leeway in world and encounter design.

If the alternative to grinding is designers funneling character progression by such means as gating content or limiting character build choices ("Would you prefer to cast Ice Bolt or Fire Bolt?"), then, yes, give me tons of bridge trolls, ettins, and wolves to slaughter.

It's not acceptable to me as a required element of progression. This notwithstanding the fact that, thirty-five years ago, we all found tremendous fulfillment in shuttling cargo between identical-looking green planets in Elite and considered it a pinnacle of gaming.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless you are an MMO, progression shouldn't be tied to how much the player is willing to do a repetitive task over and over again wasting their time.

An RPG should have a clear curve and progression for the whole game, being able to surpass challenges by "just waste 4 hours your time doing this until you are strong enough" is retarded. Even in learning by using open-world RPG ala Bethesda, a CR of some sort need to be put against the target of the action and diminishing reward should be given at some point of progression against a certain CR.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is nothing that puts me off a game more than mandatory grinding, except maybe excessive unskippable cutscenes that waste my time watching shit when I oughta be playing shit.

Grinding is boring and repetitive. It's fighting the exact same encounter for minimal rewards a hundred times. It's when an encounter gives you 100 XP but you need 5000 XP to the next level up, so you try to trigger that very same (not very challenging) encounter enough times to get a levelup. Lame, boring, waste of time.

If a game has optional grinding I will only engage in it when absolutely necessary. I'd rather attempt the same encounter a dozen times and change my tactics in order to win, than to grind a dozen random encounters to level up before the hard encounter.

Citizen

The difference between grinding and good progression is quantitative not qualitative. Character progression is the staple of good RPG design, the player should feel that beating the challenges the game throws at him makes him STRONGER and prepares to face even harder challenges. That what makes progression in games like Gothic or ELEX incredibly enjoyable - your playthrough is a story of your character going from zero to hero, from a weak scrawny fuck who can't hold a sword properly to an unstoppable flamethrower-wielding ELEX-fueled demigod. And that enjoyable progression is only achievable by providing a player with challenges of different difficulty, which sometimes would require him to retreat from a harder challenge and go pursue a different objective/quest to level up. But if the game doesn't provide a player with enough different paths, side-quests or optional areas and players are forced to grind through repetitive content/random encounters/generated fetch quests to actually have a chance to progress further in game - that's degenerate design.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Unless you are an MMO, progression shouldn't be tied to how much the player is willing to do a repetitive task over and over again wasting their time.

No exceptions for MMOs either. Gamers need to grow a spine and demand from devs to stop with their predatory tactics. There is no need for grinding in MMOs, they would have been more enjoyable without it.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah well hey: no pain, no gain. You either put in the work, level up like a big boy and DOMINATE or just rush ahead like a flimsy little soylet and die like a noob in the first real fight. And what do you do then, huh punk? Savescum like a subhuman, that's what, as if that's how to play like a man.

Scrub, git gud. Retards whine, real men grind.

*tips respectfully*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom