Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're playing

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
anvi said:
Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're playing

Better at sucking ass.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So I'm doing more research on Jade Empire for you guys and it seems I was right all along and all the people who said mean things were wrong! Whatever GOG did to the graphics makes it look really good, nice music and stuff too, voice actors are better than most martial arts movies... And the story is cool, I love the escalating battles and the side stuff you can do if you want. But the reason why it is a GOOD game and not just comfy, is because the combat is awesome. There is resource management from the start, shift heals yourself but uses your mana. And using weapons and special attacks uses spirit. And you have health, so 3 bars to balance at the start, and one can heal the other one by holding shift. So you do that in addition to the kung fu, and I have 3 styles of that even now in chapter 1. I tap 1 and it is an offensive style that has punches and big smackdowns and some other stuff, I tap 2 and I get punches that slow the target to slow motion but don't do much damage, and 3 is the weapon you choose. And you can roll in any direction with double tapping directions. And if you hold E it charges up any attack you land but uses mana. And Space is block. TL-DR- Just an hour in and the combat is better than anything Bethesda ever made. When it gets badass as higher levels I might even make some movies of it.

680x0

Learned
For some reason I read the thread title twice as "Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're taking"

I'm playing Yakuza 7 right now, so... nope.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think GOG version might have added support cuz I'm pretty sure I saw control settings and vibration option and stuff. My gamepad is in another place so I can't test.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Oooo the first boss fight was hard, like Mario hard. Starting to see why a lot of people didn't see the high level combat :smug:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Serious question: Is there a game with a wuxia setting that doesn't have turbo-autistic repetitive asian gameplay? Because I'm hearing a lot of bitching in this thread but not a lot of suggestions about who did it better.

Farewell into the night

"anvi, post: 7039657, member: 22533"the first boss fight

who is the first boss? Gao the Lesser or that old master's spirit in the cave beneath the school?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Serious question: Is there a game with a wuxia setting that doesn't have turbo-autistic repetitive asian gameplay? Because I'm hearing a lot of bitching in this thread but not a lot of suggestions about who did it better.
Gujian 3, afaik it's a Witcher/nuBioware/Spiders type of game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Best CRPG in a Wuxia setting is a rather low bar to cross, even by Bioware standards. :M

And it still wouldn't be Jade Empire.

Reader

Scholar
Prince of Qin is a good alternative i think.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So left the tutorial/start place, I have several forms. And I am building to use Chi so now I can freeze people in ice and then beat them up, or shoot them with ice shards. And if the fight is against a lot of people I have another form that drains Chi from enemies so I can cast more ice spells. There is also the Toad form to remove negative effects. Also the battles have guys with long polearms/spears/staffs/asian-things, that are hard to take on with punches, so it is better to freeze/pewpew those guys, then you can drain the normal fighter guys. And there are immunities and stuff to figure out. And there are some combos that heal you or create a mana boost and maybe some other stuff.

tl-dr- A couple of hours in and is now deeper than Skyrim, Witcher 3, and every Ubisoft game combined. :smug:

Wait, isn't Wuxia a turn based strategy with hexes? The series also has action games? Trust me any bitching about this game is 99% from people who got owned by the first few bosses so quit, or didn't even play it and say EWWW because it is from the worst era in gaming (2005) and because they want to push the it sucks agenda to feel better about not playing it.

The high level combat in too interesting to dismiss, but what Steam Stats taught me is at the 10% point of most games is where you lose like 90% of players. Very few reach the end. There are plenty of legit complaints though, but I think most people never even gave this game a good go.

There is nothing that I know of which is just like this. I know millions of action games and a-RPGs, Batman Arkham series, Devil May Cry, Bloodborne, Tomb Raiders, etc.. And RPG versions too like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim..., or probably the nearest thing to Jade Empire would be stuff like Dark Souls. There are character build choices and gear to get and actiony real time combat and a plot etc. But even still, Jade Empire is a bit different, it has tab targetting that you can turn off and fast actiony combat where you need to dodge attacks or take genuine damage. But with the build I pick it is a balancing game and tactical as I said above. I gotta freeze the right people quickly and then kill the right people with the right attacks (weapon or fighting style etc), and then I have to heal myself with mana, and then I have to either finish them off or drain some mana back off them for a longer fight. All while dodging attacks with weapons that can cut you up if you are going a mana (Chi) build and aren't boosting HP.

Also the setting is great, ancient mythical China with no trace of stupid anime.

p.s. If anyone was asking about hex based / turn based RPGs, try Blackguards! (And of course Betrayal At Krondor, which should be taught in schools.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom