Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Maxon probably just didn't trust Taggerty to keep her hands off the nukes. :obviously:

Hellion

Arcane
Great news, everyone. They released Steel Dawn one week earlier - today.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...r8l/steel-dawn-arrives-early-for-the-holidays

STEEL DAWN ARRIVES EARLY FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Earlier today, there was an error that caused players in our Xbox community to download the Steel Dawn Update ahead of schedule, but prevented them from actually playing. We immediately investigated ways to get our Xbox players back in-game as soon as possible, but, through our discussions, the entire BGS team felt confident that Steel Dawn is ready to go.

As a result, instead of rolling back the update and making everyone wait another week, we’ve decided to release the Steel Dawn Update on all platforms today, November 24.

We’re scheduled to begin maintenance for all platforms at 4:00 p.m. ET, and we expect Fallout 76 to be offline for around six hours. When maintenance is over, you’ll be able to get started with the Steel Dawn questline, your first C.A.M.P. Shelter, and everything else this update contains.

We’d like to apologize to our Xbox players for any confusion today’s issue caused, but we hope that everyone in the Fallout 76 community is as excited as we are to dive into Steel Dawn ahead of schedule.

Thank you very much, and we hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We’ll see you at Fort Atlas!

Their servers bugged out and made the update available earlier, so they just said "fuck it" and went with it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Had a moment to check it out yesterday. The new brohood is a whooping 3 people plus a bunch of fanboi initiates they picked up along the way. An expedishun that walked all the way from coolifornia to check out the Atlas observatorium or smth. They do not disclose their real mission (and their numerous fuckups along the way) with me yet. After all I did last year. Sad.

And they are oldschool assholes. Letting their "potential initiates" do all the legwork, without help. Covering up the fact they lost a truckload of missile launchers that are now in the hands of everone and their mother. :hahano:
I got an option to sabotage them already, curious how far that will go.

But dat levelscaling. Now I understand why players were whining. Entered the first location and got swarmed by lvl100 mosquitos. Unless you have a full set of... sentinel(?) armor, it's power armor for live now. Double sad.
That also means I could throw away most my weapons if I were a regular player. If it's not "tHe MeTaaaa", it's literally useless now.
My quest reward was an assplosive revolver, that would have been awsome...if enemies weren't lvl100. Or VATS weren't STILL buggy. Autorifle needs 3 shots on average before VATS even remembers to hit anything. :argh:

TLDR: could be a decent/good story, but the levelscaling tries very hard to ruin your fun. We'll see.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Had a moment to check it out yesterday. The new brohood is a whooping 3 people plus a bunch of fanboi initiates they picked up along the way. An expedishun that walked all the way from coolifornia to check out the Atlas observatorium or smth. They do not disclose their real mission (and their numerous fuckups along the way) with me yet. After all I did last year. Sad.

And they are oldschool assholes. Letting their "potential initiates" do all the legwork, without help. Covering up the fact they lost a truckload of missile launchers that are now in the hands of everone and their mother. :hahano:
I got an option to sabotage them already, curious how far that will go.

But dat levelscaling. Now I understand why players were whining. Entered the first location and got swarmed by lvl100 mosquitos. Unless you have a full set of... sentinel(?) armor, it's power armor for live now. Double sad.
That also means I could throw away most my weapons if I were a regular player. If it's not "tHe MeTaaaa", it's literally useless now.
My quest reward was an assplosive revolver, that would have been awsome...if enemies weren't lvl100. Or VATS weren't STILL buggy. Autorifle needs 3 shots on average before VATS even remembers to hit anything. :argh:

TLDR: could be a decent/good story, but the levelscaling tries very hard to ruin your fun. We'll see.

Basically everything is shit, but I will keep playing.

Do you really have nothing else to do? Not even other games?

Hellion

Arcane
I think that the most interesting thing they seem to be trying to establish with the BoS plot is how the East-Coast chapter split up from their West-Coast brethren and essentially became a charitable organization. But, naturally, this is implemented in a completely retarded way.

At the end of the current plotline in the update this is still left unresolved though, so I might be wrong.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Thanks to it's rocky start and all the youtubers jumping the bandwagon to bash it for moneyz, this game has become an acceptable victim for people that will never be able to make anything right.
And it doesn't really deserve it anymore, at least for casual players like me, that just jump in for DLCs.

When I played it last year, it was 6 months old and almost bugfree, especially by Bethesda standards. The writing and world design is way beyond what Todd's A-Team gobbles up, even the cash shop has low prices combined with the yuge amount of atoms the game gave you for simply playing. My acc still has over 5k atoms and I bought a lot of shit I never even used.

Now compare that to ESO, where everything is horribly overpriced and you cannot even earn crowns ingame. AND you have to buy DLCs.
Strangely I don't see people bitching about that all the time...

Myobi

Liturgist
Thanks to it's rocky start and all the youtubers jumping the bandwagon to bash it for moneyz, this game has become an acceptable victim for people that will never be able to make anything right.
And it doesn't really deserve it anymore, at least for casual players like me, that just jump in for DLCs.

Lol! "rocky"... "start"... what the actual fuck you on about? It was a new shitshow every month, canvas bags were made of nylon, the helmets gave you aids, the 80$ nuka rum plastic bottles didn't even work right, duping rampage, hackers stealing your shit wirelessly, fucking "dev room" accessible by the players, nuke codes not working cuz year change, countless of ridiculous bugs and perfomance issues... fuck, even just now they are releasing shit by accident.

Maybe if Bethesda stopped releasing broken ass games, they wouldn't have problems with youtubers "jumping the bandwagon" exposing how shitty the fucking things are.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
Lol! "rocky"... "start"... what the actual fuck you on about? It was a new shitshow every month, canvas bags were made of nylon, the helmets gave you aids, the 80$ nuka rum plastic bottles didn't even work right, duping rampage, hackers stealing your shit wirelessly, fucking "dev room" accessible by the players, nuke codes not working cuz year change, countless of ridiculous bugs and perfomance issues... fuck, even just now they are releasing shit by accident.
And the nuke launch would crash the entire server. And the permanent Power Armor bug that would make characters be in underwear and have distorted bodies. And the really bugged Scorch Beast Queen. And the fake widescreen "fix". And the problem that would delete the entire game. And people who paid for the game but couldn't play it because their transaction history was erased and Bethesda servers thought they didn't own the game. And people who would buy stuff from traders and would, instead, get given whatever their mouse cursor was over at the time of the purchase. And when they released a patch that had been made using an outdated version of the game and reintroduced into the game all the bugs that had already been fixed in a patch before. And having some software running at the same time as the game would make you get banned (like running Cheatengine, even if it wasn't being used on the game).

And so on, so on, so on...

Giskard

Augur
I played the game for a few months as a 'sandbox shooter explorer', and had some fun with it, (not the best game by a long shot but solid enough)...then came the totally fucked up 'One Wasteland For All' (TM). Whoever decided that was a good idea should be hung drawn and quartered...literally. Completely ruined the game and does not even make sense...I guess their thinking was that they need to appeal to all the 3 second memory noobs that NEED to see everything in the first five minutes, how FUCKING RETARDED can you get.
Will not touch the game again until they remove that shit...or at the very least make it optional.

/End Rant

Risewild

Arbiter
I guess their thinking was that they need to appeal to all the 3 second memory noobs that NEED to see everything in the first five minutes, how FUCKING RETARDED can you get.
Their thinking was actually money. They don't do radical changes like that unless the marketing guys tell them to.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
totally fucked up 'One Wasteland For All' (TM). Whoever decided that was a good idea should be hung drawn and quartered...literally.
They found Todd's old design document for Oblivion, "How to please console players and make yuge moneyz":
1) much bloom to distract them
2) levelscaled enemies every 5 meters or they get bored
3) at least 25% of the budget goes into ad campaigns

Those rules must be why Oblivion was GOTY for a decades amirite?

Jokes aside, I have no idea what they were thinking with that one wasteland crap. They only hurt low level players with that. It's not even consistent, instead you get those "wtf just happened?" moments from weird spikes. Ants have sooooo much armor, so it takes forever to kill them. Scorched just have more hp, so it takes 2 headshots to kill them...
But then mutant dogs and minigun mutants deal armor bypassing dmg that kills you fast even in powerarmor. The dogs can even staggerlock you while in PA. Great job there. :hahano:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Steel Dawn is the first chapter in the new Brotherhood of Steel questline and it officially launched this week. Watch to learn about all the new content added to Fallout 76 with this update, which is free for Fallout 76 players. Available now!

Giskard

Augur
totally fucked up 'One Wasteland For All' (TM). Whoever decided that was a good idea should be hung drawn and quartered...literally.
They found Todd's old design document for Oblivion, "How to please console players and make yuge moneyz":
1) much bloom to distract them
2) levelscaled enemies every 5 meters or they get bored
3) at least 25% of the budget goes into ad campaigns

Those rules must be why Oblivion was GOTY for a decades amirite?

Jokes aside, I have no idea what they were thinking with that one wasteland crap. They only hurt low level players with that. It's not even consistent, instead you get those "wtf just happened?" moments from weird spikes. Ants have sooooo much armor, so it takes forever to kill them. Scorched just have more hp, so it takes 2 headshots to kill them...
But then mutant dogs and minigun mutants deal armor bypassing dmg that kills you fast even in powerarmor. The dogs can even staggerlock you while in PA. Great job there. :hahano:

101% agree, the thing that also killed it for me is how now I have to spend so much time getting materials so I have enough ammo (2mm EC for my Gauss Rifle) to kill 1 little fucking bug, or doing one of the dailies and get surrounded by level 80 wolves (me level 64) that just do so much damage that you have to get to higher ground to have a chance (and I don't want to run around in power armour ALL THE FUCKING TIME just to survive)I have no time to actually explore or do any quests or anything. It is supposed to be a (loosely) RPG - you know ... a Role Playing Game!!!!!!! I don't want to be FORCED to play the role of a walking tin can all the time.

I am the first to admit that I have given Beth the benefit of the doubt in the past, but this goes just too far. Sorry Bethesda but :killit:

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
101% agree, the thing that also killed it for me is how now I have to spend so much time getting materials so I have enough ammo (2mm EC for my Gauss Rifle)
Ironically switching to the gauss minigun was an improvement for me, since you do not need to farm acid for gunpowder anymore.
But that was before one wasteland. Now I would probably spend more ammo going through the lucky hole mine than I get in return. :hahano:

Power armor and melee would probably the way to go these days I guess...

Giskard

Augur
Power armor and melee would probably the way to go these days I guess...

But that's not how I (and I am sure many others) want to play the game, I like to ROLE PLAY a lightly packed, stealthy, sniper most of the time, and they have completely taken that away as an option.
Power armor has it time and place (for me anyway) in a few high level/high RAD area's, but not the whole fucking map. :decline:

I also like to have my arse handed to me when I have ventured into a situation or place I am too low a level for, then going back in a few levels to try again. One of my fave memories in the game was when I was very low level (10 or 12 I think), and I had drunk the Vintage Nukashine in Morgantown, after wandering around for a few minutes I blacked out and I was transported to the Rail Carriage in the Cranberry Bog, no Fucking way was I going to be able to kill anything there, so I spent ages trying to sneak back to the safe side of the map...suffice to say I did not make it back alive :), but it was a challenge and made the game fun.- That won't happen now, because if you end up over there at level 5 you can kill anything with your pea shooter. :decline:

I don't see why they could not have made it an option.

Does anyone know the general consensus of other players to how thought about that particular update? Just asking because I hope that if enough people hate it...maybe, just maybe, they will roll it back.

But Beth don't have the Balls to do the RIGHT thing and FIX their FUCKUPS :fallout3:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But that's not how I (and I am sure many others) want to play the game
Tell me about it. I ran with the "classic fallout setup": vaultsuit, light leather armor, 10mm pistol, double barrel shotgun and a hunting rifle. :obviously:
Even that little armor was enough for getting occasionally hit, and my 10mm 2shot vatshit pistol could reliably dispatch soopah mootants at west-tek. The only dangerous enemies were ASSaultron hugs.
But now when I played the DLC, even a bunch of random molerat triggers the "your armor broke, have fun farming ballistic fibre sucker" sound effect immediately, thanks to being level 100...

"Please buy repair kits in the shop, it's on sale! Love, Todd."
No thanks. :argh:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Can someone give me the rundown on what tech was so important for BoS to snatch up?

Hellion

Arcane
Can someone give me the rundown on what tech was so important for BoS to snatch up?

They set their base up in a place that was supposed to house a weather control device of sorts, but the device was no longer operational. In the end, they settled for an Ultracite Battery.

Myobi

Liturgist
But now when I played the DLC, even a bunch of random molerat triggers the "your armor broke, have fun farming ballistic fibre sucker" sound effect immediately, thanks to being level 100...

Reading this sort of stuff gives me the biggest grin ever, I can't even begin to express how good it makes feel to see a community butthurt over shitty ass changes like those that merely exist to push them into throwing money at "totally not pay to win" monetization schemes that so many used to passionately defended against "dem haters", its like giving a bitch a strap on and then complaining that she fucked you in the ass with it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

Does the SBQ no longer drop them?
Sure, even the good ones, not the atom store crap. But those are not really an option for new players, since you need to deal a large amount of dammich to the SBQ to qualify for drops. So they are the ones hit hardest by that crap. Back when I was playing, I already stuck to lvl30 armor until veeeeeery late, because it still needed no ballistic duct tape to repair. You can only pick up 7 or so per day in the bootcamp, doesn't cut it to keep up.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom