Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What jRPG should I play?

Vyadhis

Learned
So I'm thinking I'll give one a whirl. See what the fuss is about and all that. What should I choose? And something I can get on steam - don't want to customize an emulator to play a 25 year old PS1 game.
I'm not helping but the world of Jrpgs really opens up if you embrace emulation, so many great titles on psx,ps2,psp, gba and DS to name a few.. Its worth looking up a few tutorial vids, not that hard. Depending on the system you can find anything you need with google.

visions

Arcane
don't want to customize an emulator to play a 25 year old PS1 game.

how about customizing an emulator to play a 25 year old PS1 game remastered for PSV

Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions also has an Android port if the op cba with emulation but doesn't mind playing on a phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFT_en2&hl=en

Has pretty good reviews. Seemed to control ok when I tried it but I never played FFT in any other version.

Cromwell

Arcane
Steam should be having a fall sale around thanksgiving (like maybe today) so hopefully some of them will be on sale.

DQ11 ultimate definitive super edition will be in gamepass from 04.12 on. Thats 1 euro to test out on pc

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I would reccommend:

Dragon Quest 5 (SNES)
Terranigma (SNES)
Legend of Mana (SNES)
Trials of Mana (SNES)
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES)
Shin megami Tensei IV (3DS)

Chrono Trigger has already been mentioned.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I really liked Trails in the Sky but it’s definitely aimed at... younger audiences (teen to young adult).

Hyperion

Arcane
Lots of bad suggestions. Dragon Quest XI is a good game, with an acceptable difficulty if you play it with Stonger Monsters but it has a lot of the negatives of modern RPG's such as total linearity, there's *always* an NPC nearby telling you exactly what to do, a lot of cutscenes, the quests are boring, and you can make the argument it's exhaustingly long with part 3 being abysmally bad with aggravating fights, and rewriting 100 hours worth of story and character development for no real reason.

Go with Romancing SaGa 3, it's traditional in the jRPG sense to be a good intro to the genre, but has enough of Kawazu's love of tabletop to be a hit with a cRPG fan - you're given the opportunity to choose 1 of 6 protagonists all in different starting areas, with different starting abilities, gear, and aptitudes. Some characters have unique characteristics, such as Mikhail's War Games, or Khalid's greed and an inability to turn down the monetary reward for quests. Stats are fixed much like D&D except for small boosts from gear, which determines a character's usefulness with magic and weapons. There are over 20 recruitable characters in the world, some being unrecruitable based on your chosen protagonist. A bunch of side quests for you to do, some with major impacts on the world depending on the sequence of events. Oh, and the thrill of sparking a new art that changes the flow of battle can't be beaten by any other game.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace is similarly awesome in all regards to RS3, but has a lot of obtuse mechanics, with a daunting number of characters (>50) with a very complex combat system that can be off putting and oppressively difficult until it suddenly clicks with you.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't comment on Scarlet Grace but Romancing Saga 3 is pretty interesting, and avalable on steam.
oldmanpaco I just want to point out that a lot of Emulators do just work out of the box, especially in SNES era.

Robber Baron

Savant
The new Yakuza is a solid place to start if you're new to jrpgs
That said, as others have already suggested, Chrono Trigger is an absolute timeless classic

I'd recommend Chrono Trigger, as well. It's just a real solid game and encapsulates the JRPG experience pretty well. Lufia 2 is also great, Dragon Quest 3's SNES port is one of my favorite games of all-time (i rented the NES version countless times as a kid) and even has full-party creation. I'm also a big fan of the Breath of Fire series, IMO the second game with a re-translation patch is the most enjoyable game in the series.

For stuff that feels a little more western there are plenty of blobber JRPGs, Strange Journey: Redux has high recommendations from me as well as Elminage Original.

Derringer

Prophet
If you want CRPG-styled JRPGs SMT 1-3 are fun, beyond big classical stuff like Chrono Trigger and Mario JRPGs, SaGa, Mana, Dragon Quest, Soul Blazer trilogy, Final Fantasy Tactics.

- Dragon's Dogma
- Skies of Arcadia Legends
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Persona 5

Dogma has the best real-time action system. Arcadia is probably the best of the classic kind of JRPG, and the Legends versions adds some new stuff. Tactics is probably the best of the tactical JRPGs without getting too weird about its systems. And Persona 5 is a combination of dungeon crawler and time-management game.

After them Phantasy Star 4, Final Fantasy 6, Grandia 2, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, the original Tales of Destiny, Vagrant Story, and Lost Odyssey would probably give you a good look at a bunch of different style JRPGs.

The Last Story and Resonance of Fate look good, but I haven't played them. Crimson Shroud is another one that looks interesting.

I remember Paper Mario on the N64 being pretty fun too. I haven't played it since it came out, but if I remember right it's pretty different from most everything else.

Grand Kingdom is fun. It's the follow up to Grand Knights History.

Just thought of one more that's really unlike basically anything else: Hybrid Heaven. Came out on the N64. It's pretty much a wrestling RPG, it's not wrestling themed, it's a sci-fi game, but combat wise you're doing wrestling stuff.

Last edited:

kirin

Learned
  • Tales of Berseria - Brilliant party banter, some great characters, really cool story angle, nice game all round.
  • Tales of Zesteria - Not as funny as Berseria, but has more exploration. If you play both play this one last.
For recommendations sake Tales of Vesperia is easier to... stomach as compared to those titles and is overall more well received within the fanbase. Tales of Vesperia is also on steam.

are any of these Tales games worth playing

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dsku8OU.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
  • Tales of Berseria - Brilliant party banter, some great characters, really cool story angle, nice game all round.
  • Tales of Zesteria - Not as funny as Berseria, but has more exploration. If you play both play this one last.
For recommendations sake Tales of Vesperia is easier to... stomach as compared to those titles and is overall more well received within the fanbase. Tales of Vesperia is also on steam.

I absolutely thrived on both.

There's some dull sections in Zesteria, I wasn't particularly hot on the combat system for either (didn't mind it, but it didn't get me spunking either) and Berseria is definitely the better of the two (I'd rate that 8/10, Zesteria 7/10)

But both have some brilliant qualities, and can be a ton of fun. If you enjoy banter-based JRPG's, with some good humour & characters, they're two of the best IMO.

Removal

Scholar
They're pretty meh, solid 6/10 games
if you want to feel like you're playing an anime though, then it's pretty solid on that front

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom