Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dodo1610

Arcane
You are free to explore the open world after the Origin specific Intro but the prologue only ends when you get the chip in your head.

Melcar

Arcane
I get this new footage is reactionary to the recent leak (as it was streamed on a PS4 and showed the intro to the Nomad life path) but dear lord, at least the Xbox footage showed an actual mission in progress. Not very reaffirming if your intro is nothing but extremely boring scripted stuff for god knows how long.
Impression articles say you get the titlecard around six hours into the game.

LOLWUT? So there is a 6 hour intro / tutorial?

7WGFpmOZlhbYIofGJaUwjfxyfLxK_daN8kik1B8tPiMj-wJG2yihLJIVixfUp1iYjla6AQwZ9wnm-3pvJ-jOQK8HnQNPKt7__-gNm9AWxgtGFfoCznlpL_O-6yBQg4mgMa_yV9Nsrok4oa5Y6Uz1_DZKiXj3bsmNilk

Is this a thing now? Like 'my game is such an UBAH ARR PEE GEE that you don't even start the game until 6 hours into it!" I've seen this happening more & more recently. AC: Valhalla being the most recent example. You have to do the whole Norway section which is at least 3 hours for most people before you get the title card with the Assassin's Creed logo. There have been half a dozen others recently with the same shtick. It strikes me as pretentious hipster bullshit TBH...

It is pretentious bullshit. How long does it take you to learn the basics of a game? Unless you are forced to a 10 minute cutscene after every move you make, that shit should not take more than a few minutes, 15 tops. It's just a way to pad the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is shaping up to be the interactive movie that I've been needing this year, where I couldn't visit a theater for anything decent all year. Can't wait to start it up.

V's voice is kind of lame. I wonder if this is something that will evolve as the plot progresses. I mean he may be a weak punk in the beginning and sound like it, but eventually gain some masculinity and confidence as he accumulates street cred and experience.

Dunno if the guys that leaked that video earlier are reviewers or they just got hold of an early game version somehow, but PC review code requests seem to have officially opened a few hours ago, and keys should start being sent out soon.

I guess that means no more delays. Hopefully.
Nah, one of them stole the game from the amazon place he was working at, he got id-ed the same day.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Did you suffer a stroke, Fenix? I don't recall your English being *that* bad.
Remember how he had a dental abscess several months ago and did not want to visit a doctor because they all are Jews or something. Looks like the pus destroyed his brain. Now he is a literal fyora just mashing keyboard buttons.
YHYnm0q.png

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
That damage control though
Marketing with enough money behind it works as this thread proves.
at least the Xbox footage showed an actual mission in progress. Not very reaffirming if your intro is nothing but extremely boring scripted stuff for god knows how long.
Scripted video sequences is what people are excited about remember. That was 90% of their "gameplay" trailer.
But guys, even without SJW crap this game is a popamolized shooter looter interactive movie.

Its not an RPG, its not cyberpunk, its barely SF, and its probably not very good.
Who cares when Poland's GDP depends on it and they have bigger marketing campaigns than Ubisoft and Bethesda combined ever had? Get hyped and buy it day1, don't look at any leaked footage of the gameplay or too much of our own raw gameplay footage.

My guess is that, as someone prior said, the title drop is reserved for when you meet Johnny. Based on trailers, that happens after Jackie dies, which is at least a few missions into the game.

Sezneg

Literate
All this talk of SJW in the game... did the SJW crew just miss this stereotyped Indian cab driver?

DlNkyaUXoAIfX4X

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Scripted video sequences is what people are excited about remember. That was 90% of their "gameplay" trailer.

People were excited for "Witcher 3 with guns". That's why Cyberpunk 2077 built up so much hype around it. Has happened in the past, Bethesda produced "Oblivion with guns" and turned out to be awesome. People were really hyped with Fallout 3 too prior to release. And those weren't fallout fans. Fallout was a failed franchise and had sold atrociously up to that point. Nope, the people were in love with Oblivion and wanted more with a twist.

Sadly it doesn't seem we are getting a Witcher 3 with guns after all.

Semiurge

Cipher
They still couldn't fix that damn dialogue that every voiced protagonist RPG have huh

>Dialogue option: those guys are fucked

>Actual dialogue: doesn't look like your average bust..

>Dialogue option: Dudz, dat guy be fuckd' !
>Actual dialogue: Say chaps, he's about to end up in a bad way, pip pip, wot wot

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Makes me wonder if playing on XBox One/PS4 is going to be like playing The Witcher 3 on Switch. I'm still amazed by how CDPR made that port work.

Terenty

Liturgist
What a clunky mess this will turn out to be. Neither good fps nor good rpg, not even a GTA clone. The butthurt and meltdown will be glorious, especially from the console crowd.

Look at this shit

When even IGN can't muster enthusiasm towards your latest AAA production you know smth is up.

Denial and cope in the comment sections is hilarious.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What a clunky mess this will turn out to be. Neither good fps nor good rpg, not even a GTA clone. The butthurt and meltdown will be glorious, especially from the console crowd.

Look at this shit

When even IGN can't muster enthusiasm towards your latest AAA production you know smth is up.

Denial and cope in the comment sections is hilarious.
You seem to be new here. This is the next Codex RPGOTY. Not only there won't be any butthurt, here or in the mainstream, if the Codex is still not counted as mainstream for some reason, but there will be mass rejoicing over its potential for immersive experience and C&C.

Denial and cope is what the doomsayers are presenting. Just wait and see.

Naraya

Arcane
Some pages back there is a discussion of edgyness in dialogue etc. It (again) seems like it's grossly exagerrated and unfounded.

https://www.pcgamer.com/theres-way-more-of-the-witcher-3-in-cyberpunk-2077-than-youve-been-told

There's way more of The Witcher 3 in Cyberpunk 2077 than you've been told

Don't trust the marketing. Cyberpunk is full of heart and earnest, oddball characters.

Most of Cyberpunk 2077's seven years of marketing depict a wholly cynical world where everyone replaces every other word with some awkward future slang, and on-rails car chase shootouts take priority over the subtle stuff that makes for a truly good RPG.

We've been a bit worried at PC Gamer, crowding around every new demo and trailer hopeful that some of the excellent writing and oddball quests we loved in The Witcher 3 would somehow turn up in the marketing material for Cyberpunk 2077. Not so. It's cooled our anticipation for one of the most curious games of the decade over the years.

15-hour hands-on session with Cyberpunk 2077, he's crawled out of Night City to report that all that edgy marketing? It's just marketing, baby. Cyberpunk has plenty of heart.

On this week's episode of The PC Gamer Show, Andy tells me Cyberpunk 2077 has plenty of small touches and well considered characters that readily recall some of the best Witcher 3 quests—The Bloody Baron in particular.

For the full conversation, check out the video up top. You're going to want to hear about Brendan, the sentient vending machine. And for even more on Cyberpunk 2077, listen to this week's episode of The PC Gamer Show. Andy and I go on for 45 minutes about future fashion, how nice the katanas feel, playing a nice guy in an awful world, and Keanu of course.

The marketing problem
Andy: The quest everyone talks about in The Witcher 3 is The Bloody Baron quest which is a great mix of horror, action, and really strong well-written moving pathos.

James: Amazing characters.

Andy: Yeah, great performances, and I got a real vibe of The Bloody Baron quest, where, there's a character called Judy Alvarez who's a braindance editor expert… you team up with her quite a lot in the story. So once you've ended your time with her in the story you can then pursue loads more sidequests to get to know the character, and she's actually one of the best characters.

But a bunch of really bad stuff happens to Judy, and there are some really quite quiet, tender moments between V and her as a result of this stuff, and you can console her and be understanding. You can also be a dick and say 'Yeah, whatever, get over it', but I could never bring myself to do that, especially since I really liked the character.

CDPR aren't going to show a scene in the big E3 trailer of Judy and V sitting on a bed having a heart-to-heart, but all that stuff's in there which is really encouraging because I went in there with the same worries: is it just going to be future slang and people shouting motherfucker and gangsters and all these really loud, over-the-top characters? But there's humanity in there, and it feels like it plays out in similar ways to some of the Witcher quests.

On being a nice V
Andy: I think in those trailers and gameplay clips, whoever's playing has chosen to be the edgelord douchebag V for the sake of the trailers, whereas my V was way nicer and way cooler, I thought.

James: You can be nice V?

Andy: Yeah, you can be really nice, which was quite surprising.

James: I like the idea of that. This horrible world, but you're chill and cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robber Baron

Savant
I wonder how mod-freindly the game will be. Making some characters less ugly by removing shitty tatoos and adjusting normal maps for better skin would be nice.

Terenty

Liturgist
The butthurt and meltdown will be glorious, especially from the console crowd.
they are going to eat it and ask for more, like it usually happens. And not just the console crowd.
Nah, CDPR did everything they could to secure those sweet GTA shekels in their marketing, now watch how console players(the majority) start flinging shit when they see how shitty the game looks and plays. Dead city with the same 4 braindead copypasted pedestrians roaming the streets. You can't cause havoc and have fun in a typical GTA fashion, everything is slow as fuck and buggy and junky.

Just wait and see

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom