Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Derringer

Prophet
I think the most RPG I first played as a kid that wasn't console or handheld JRPG shit (and I played plenty of it as a kid) was SMT1 and Fallout 1. I think I still prefer combatfag games since most fiction is written horribly anyways.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For me it was Darklands because that was a (semi)-historical game from Microprose and those were always good no matter what genre they were from. Years later I played Betrayal at Krondor and that's the next game that really got me personally invested in the world and paying attention to what was going on.

I think I played Daggerfall in between but to me that was more of a curiosity than an actual game. It was a hint at what computers might be able to do someday in the future, like simulating big cities.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played Adventure on the Atari 2600, too, but I wouldn't consider it an RPG, so I'll say my first CRPG was Temple of Apshai on my Atari 130XE. I was playing tabletop BECMI at the time, too. After that I have fond memories of Ultima IV, the Phantasie Series, Bard's Tale, Questron, SSI's Gemstone Warrior and Wizard's Crown.

mondblut

Arcane
EOB1, but it didn't really drag me in. It took Ishar, World of Xeen and Ultima Underworld to actually start liking this shit.

I played HeroQuest on ZX earlier than that, but it doesn't really qualify.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I played Adventure on the Atari 2600, too, but I wouldn't consider it an RPG, so I'll say my first CRPG was Temple of Apshai on my Atari 130XE. I was playing tabletop BECMI at the time, too. After that I have fond memories of Ultima IV, the Phantasie Series, Bard's Tale, Questron, SSI's Gemstone Warrior and Wizard's Crown.

On the first page, I said my first CRPG was Phantasie, but I also played Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai prior to that. In my mind, I guess they don’t register as CRPGs...even though they are clearly inspired by Rogue (with way less random elements). Interesting...have I been lying to myself all these years?

Manny

Educated
Thinking of PC and not consoles, adventure games were the ones that led me to the world of video games: Maniac Mansion, King's Quest 3, and then more of Lucas and Sierra.

The first game I played with some RPG traits was Quest for Glory 3, but I've always considered them more adventurous than RPGs. Before that, he had played Ultima 6; Unfortunately, on the XT I had, it looked like shit, because emulating CGA mode, everything became too small.

The first RPG that really got me hooked on the genre was Fallout, which continues to be the model for what I love the most to this day.

Andhaira

Arcane
I think it was Eye of the Beholder I, but can't recall. It was a glorious time, 1990-1993, i played a whole bunch of fantastic RPGs. Ultima 7, U8, Elderscrolls Arena, Realms of Arkania Startrail (then Shadows over Riva in 1996), etc. Funnily enough many of these were real time, which is likely one of the reasons the RoA series still sticks out in my mind as the best of the best (though ofcourse there are a whole slew of reasons it is the best RPG series of all time) I also played the goldbox games during this time but for some reason those didn't attract me as much at the time.

You have to remember though turn based RPGs are king, real time RPGs of the time aren't the same as what real time became later on. For instance, Ultima 8 though real time still had relatively slow moving sprites and characters and combat; you could actually think while playing. For a more recent example, compare Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 with Pillars of Eternity; the combat of the later has more in common with Diablo than the Baldur's Gate series, though both are RTwP, due to the speed of character movement and actions.

I had been a gamer long before this ofcourse, been playing the Spectrum days (then migrating to ZX, then BBC and finally a 286 PC!)

XPSDtQH.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Definitely some DnD brand game on NES, been so long I can't recall the name.

For PC, it was Ultima 7, followed shortly by Ultima Underworld. (Or first could have been Temple of Apshai on C64, can't remember how RPG that was, or maybe even ZORK 1 in college on a lab computer, an Apple.)

It's hard thinking back 40 years...

Zep--

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH!

I have to go back a number of decades to find this answer, and it certainly is not Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny that I watched my brother play hours on end, take notes on to help him, and fell in love with. That could very well mean it was my brother I lost my RPG virginity to, and gosh that is just super-duper creepy right? Right?!?

How we spent countless nights together adventuring through Britannia, battling monsters, decoding our cloth map, and delving into the dark dungeons. It was not until Ultima 6: The False Prophet, that I got to go out on my own, venture into the depths of the dungeons myself, drink at pubs in Paws, Minoc and Moonglow, and chase down a story that would take me from Lord British's Castle, to many places found in the world.

This was my first ever Ultima game I played on my own, the very first Ultima game I beat on my own, and the very first RPG that I enjoyed from start to finish. It had everything! Visiting old friends, visiting old places, and finding new unexplored places. I fell in love with all you could do in the world, remembering each detail from Ultima 5 that I sat and watched my brother play, venturing out to old favorite haunts, meeting NPCs I met previously, and looking forward to the next romp. Ultima 6 changed a lot from Ultima 5 like the engine, conversations, and graphics, but it was such a huge step for me when I loaded it up for the first time. It was my adventure, my time, and everything I ever needed in an Ultima. By far my favorite, but Ultima 5 still holds a lot of memories for me watching my brother play it, learning the world, and flipping through the paper manuals.

To this day, it still holds a place in my heart.

Thanks,
Sherry

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Oh dear, Fearghail and it's Sucessor Fate - Gates of Dawn. While I was able to finish Fearghail, I never was able to finish Fate - I blame it's silly Copy-Protection.

Edit:

IIRC it was the Reason I registered at the Codex as Fenris back in the Days when I thought someone was talking about Fate - Gates of Dawn, but it was some other Game... reregistered as Fenris 2.0 for some Top something Poll, and botched the Math Rulez ... well, live and learn.

Edit2:

Fate - Gates of Dawn had a silly Copy-Protection: At some Points during the Game there would be some Questions that you could only answer if you had the Manual. You got a Question and a Dozen Answers. If you clicked a wrong Answer, some Plot Points would vanish but you got no Information about it - maybe some Stairs in some Dungeon... in the second Mega-Dungeon I wasn't able to find all evil Eyes; I blame the Copy-Protection; but since the Game was no financial Success, there wasn't enough Coverage.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Castle of the Winds was the first one I played probably, although the first one I remember completing is something like Lufia 2 on an emulator. On PC I remember playing a bunch of Shadow over Riva, and trying to crack Anvil of Dawn as a kid without knowing english. There are also memories of Ishar and Might & Magic, these ones I could barely get past the first 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Data4

Arcane
Legend of Zelda was my first RPG-like experience in video game form, followed by Dragon Warrior 2. For western PC RPGs, I think it was Betrayal at Antara, which I later learned was the inferior followup to Betrayal at Krondor.

Rafidur

Learned
This one, I think. Had an english dictionary next to the computer to understand what the little people on the screen were saying and learned the language that way.

3p4kANM.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Final Fantasy IV European GBA version probably. Maybe KotOR. My memories of my early childhood are hazy.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ultima V. Back then, without knowledge of the language and without instructions (a pirated copy of curse, Potatoland in early 90s) I was unable to properly play the game. I was able to gather a party and was looking for monsters to kill in Britannia. Call it a first attempt at losing virginity but it ended prematurely so to speak. Despite that i have fond memories.
The one game where i made it properly was Betrayal at Krondor in 1995.

Edit:
Ultima VII - The Black Gate. I had no idea what an RPG was and I couldn't read English. Playing the game consisted of me and my cousin murdering people in Trinsic, stealing candles from the church, then dragging the bodies to an empty house to perform "satanic rituals". Some of the best fun I've ever had.
Yep, similar experience here, only part VII instead of V.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom