Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robber Baron

Savant
Why even bother with preloads? By the time they decrypt you'll download the game twice

Harthwain

Magister
Speaking of street cred, what on earth are they smoking with that? Purchases are usually gated by how much money you can give the vendor, not that+ how badass you are. Really bad system.
They are using street cred as reputation.

Personally I'd like street cred to work as extra currency. Used not just to buy stuff, but also to gain access to otherwise hidden information or to influence people to do something you'd like them to do.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
interactive movie.

You repeated the same term like three or four times already in the last few pages. You like it, but there is no need to flood with it. Mostly because it means nothing.
I consider it to mean a game with lots of scripted sequences, narrative-driven, fully voiced, with token impact of the player's character build choices, so as to not make it difficult to play for those who would make bad build choices. I think it's specific enough as a definition. So, now it means something.

Gerrard

Arcane
ENHANCE
image.png
BdC5ttY.png
More like

ae2.jpg

S.torch

Arbiter
I consider it to mean a game with lots of scripted sequences, narrative-driven, fully voiced, with token impact of the player's character build choices, so as to not make it difficult to play for those who would make bad build choices. I think it's specific enough as a definition. So, now it means something.

That's a start. But since your "definition" can be aplied to many RPGs that are considered classics even here, it still means nothing.

bloodlover

Arcane
The question for me is, are modern action RPGs even comprehensible by audience which has not tried Witcher 3. It's the next step in the evolution of Action RPGs after Skyrim.

For most of today's mainstream audience Assassins Creed has the default action RPG formula so my answer is probably no.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That's a start. But since your "definition" can be aplied to many RPGs that are considered classics even here, it still means nothing.
I don't really care what is considered a classic here, or by whom. :(

Alexios

Augur
Patron

The games you're thinking of aren't anything like this. CP2077 is part of this new peculiar breed of "games" where every time the player gets to interact with the world is in a cutscene. The "game" is just a sequence of cutscenes in which the player gets to perform some minimal interaction. This is why the GTA/Rockstar comparison is fully warranted. In a Rockstar game all you do is explore the world until you start a quest, and then an extended cutscene plays, and you get to shoot some enemies. All you're really doing is going from cutscene to cutscene, much like a movie. Except at least the older GTA games have a unique charm to them, whereas CP2077 is just a bunch of cringey shit.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The question for me is, are modern action RPGs even comprehensible by audience which has not tried Witcher 3. It's the next step in the evolution of Action RPGs after Skyrim.

Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV were the reason why I didn't even look at The Witcher 3. I don't have enough time to roam around an open world like that anymore ;)! I hope that Cyberpunk is a little more constrained and deeper, like e.g. Bloodlines...

Lol, it won't be.

The appeal of hiking sims is tied to their extreme superficiality in mechanics and level design. The death of immersive sims (Deus Ex, Bloodlines, System Shock 2, etc) is tied to their high level of depth in mechanics and level design.

Every developer knows that beyond all doubt, the concept has been proven by the market time and time again. Who wants to break themselves and their company making a game like Deus Ex or Bloodlines so that barely anybody will buy or care about it vs. making a game like Skyrim where nobody ever has to finish your game, and yet everyone will buy it on multiple platforms hail it as a popular and critical masterpiece beyond all compare?

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
The games you're thinking of aren't anything like this. CB2077 is part of this new peculiar breed of "games" where every time the player gets to interact with the world is in a cutscene. The "game" is just a sequence of cutscenes in which the player gets to perform some minimal interaction. This is why the GTA/Rockstar comparison is fully warranted. In a Rockstar game all you do is explore the world until you start a quest, and then an extended cutscene plays, and you get to shoot some enemies. All you're really doing is going from cutscene to cutscene, much like a movie. Except at least the older GTA games have a unique charm to them, whereas CB2077 is just a bunch of cringey shit.

I understand, but there are far less "cutscenes" in what has been shown of the game than in the Witcher 3 itself. Dialog is completly in game.
Not saying is my ideal of the RPG mechanics, but is seems arbitrary comparing it with Ubisoft games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All you're really doing is going from cutscene to cutscene,
Following this logic, in every game you are just going from cutscene to cutscene. If there is a cutscene in the beginning, and one at the end, the whole game is about just going from one cutscene to the other. The important thing is what do you do between the cutscenes. If it is good gameplay, the game is good, if it is not, it is probably bad (unless it is saved by some other factor).

Except at least the older GTA games have a unique charm to them, whereas CB2077 is just a bunch of cringey shit.
Good to know that you already know what a 100 hour long game offers just from looking at a few trailer. CP might as well have the charm and quality GTA has.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Good to know that you already know what a 100 hour long game offers just from looking at a few trailer. CP might as well have the charm and quality GTA has.
It definitely doesn't. We've seen more than enough to conclude that this will be a highly cringeworthy story with failed attempts at humor and romance, much like your average Marvel or DC movie.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Codex hates CDPR just as much as Resetera. Trannies and closet homosexuals coming together as one, in an ultimate showing of fringe weirdo unity. Warms my cold, withered heart. :hug:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
An Internet reactionary's vision of cyberpunk is basically Roy Batty-esque Aryan ubermenschen fighting it out on neon-slicked rooftops while uttering profound existential monologues, ignoring (and implicitly disapproving of) the degeneracy that must be rampant in the streets below.
And that's a retarded take of Blade Runner if I ever saw one. Brain still hurting from that retardation Tron.

Fark lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom