Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is grinding ok?

Is grinding ok?

• Total voters

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
You can easily prevent grinding simply with limiting leveling up.
Let's say you can only reach level 10 and not higher, like in Ys.
The issue with this is that you feel "trapped" if the boss battle is too hard. But you can also have the game difficulty levels
Ys is one of the best action RPGs out there.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Word.

2hzIJav.jpg
he's amazed at the size of that helipad.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ The problem with that is, fighting games. How many fights have you had as E Honda or whatever your pick is? For most people that is 1000s but it was never called grindy. There are also gaming elephants in the room like Mario, Tetris, Portal, Minecraft, etc... Most of those are 1000x simpler and more repetitive than EQ, but they never got called grindy! So we need a philosopher king cuz 'grind' is too hard to identify. This is worse than what is an rpg!

There's a difference between grind and practice.

If you play the same song on guitar until you're perfect at it, you're practicing.
Same as when you play the same level in Mario until you beat the speedrun world record.
You're trying to improve your own skills as a player, trying to get your keyboard button presses just right so you get through the level in the most optimal way. Each time you play through the level, you get better as a player. You improve your reaction times and hand-eye coordination.

Grinding in an RPG has nothing to do with improving your personal skills. A game may be set up in a way to require so much XP for the next levelup that you have to go through a random encounter you already perfectly mastered 100 times. You already figured out the perfect approach, use just the right spells to disable your enemies in turn 1, and take zero damage during the encounter. Yet the next boss fight is still too tough for your party, so you need a levelup. And the game is designed in a way that it requires you to fight this one random encounter you've already flawlessly mastered 100 times more before you level up and can finally attempt the boss.

That's what grind is.

Stuff like Minecraft also has grind because you have to collect a huge amount of a specific resource which also involves repetitive gameplay, but it's a different form of grind from the typical XP grinding found in many badly designed RPGs (mostly JRPGs for some reason).

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My point is that in one game they are repeating spells to progress, and in one game they are repeating hadookens to progress. What makes one a grind and the other not?

One is mind-numbing and requires no strategy or thought process while the other is about becoming more knowledgeable in the match-up. The more you fight a character you have trouble with, the more you learn about them and become better acclimated to countering/knowing their strengths and weaknesses.
They are both mind-numbing and require no strategy. Except when they do.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ The problem with that is, fighting games. How many fights have you had as E Honda or whatever your pick is? For most people that is 1000s but it was never called grindy. There are also gaming elephants in the room like Mario, Tetris, Portal, Minecraft, etc... Most of those are 1000x simpler and more repetitive than EQ, but they never got called grindy! So we need a philosopher king cuz 'grind' is too hard to identify. This is worse than what is an rpg!

There's a difference between grind and practice.

If you play the same song on guitar until you're perfect at it, you're practicing.
Same as when you play the same level in Mario until you beat the speedrun world record.
You're trying to improve your own skills as a player, trying to get your keyboard button presses just right so you get through the level in the most optimal way. Each time you play through the level, you get better as a player. You improve your reaction times and hand-eye coordination.

Grinding in an RPG has nothing to do with improving your personal skills. A game may be set up in a way to require so much XP for the next levelup that you have to go through a random encounter you already perfectly mastered 100 times. You already figured out the perfect approach, use just the right spells to disable your enemies in turn 1, and take zero damage during the encounter. Yet the next boss fight is still too tough for your party, so you need a levelup. And the game is designed in a way that it requires you to fight this one random encounter you've already flawlessly mastered 100 times more before you level up and can finally attempt the boss.

That's what grind is.

Stuff like Minecraft also has grind because you have to collect a huge amount of a specific resource which also involves repetitive gameplay, but it's a different form of grind from the typical XP grinding found in many badly designed RPGs (mostly JRPGs for some reason).
Yeah, we are getting somewhere now. But the part about RPG's not improving your personal skills, I disagree with. EverQuest was an RPG and took as much practice as you can get! Some of the grind was just because you wanted an item and RNG was making you wait. Some of it killing thousands of easy things for experience. But for a lot of people with more complex classes and a higher skill cap, the difference between being a normie and a hardcore was huge. A normie would get in a group of 6 like the game was designed for you to do, and every item you got had 6 people wanting it. A hardcore who practiced could kill the same enemy by themselves and they can have a bunch of those items. It also mattered when you played with other people too and you could save their ass sometimes or go to places you wouldn't normally be able to cope with.

Also I'm playing Jade Empire now which I know this is an action-rpg, but I am in the part where I have to do a bunch of quests in a village which really pisses me off. The reason I don't play this game more often, is this village. I would rather just fight people because I have a bunch of new spells and things that I want to try out and get good at. I know I get to do that later though so I'll press on...

tl-dr- There are mindless grinds in lots of games including RPGs, (check out Collectable Card Games like MTG etc!), but there are opportunities to enjoy the gameplay and/or practice something in RPGs too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Everyone knows what's grinding I'm not going to define it here
What's more interesting is - do you consider grinding ok?

Try to provide pros & cons if possible, such as

pros: allows a dynamic approach to challenges without straight up gating content with worse players getting better stats before they tackle shit

cons: it's fucking gruelling

its ok but it can sap the fun

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, it's fine. Souls games handle it ridiculously well. If you want to have an easier time, grind away. If you want a challenge, don't grind levels. You can do it to make the game a lot more favorable for you or not. I mean you could beat the game at like SL 2. I beat it at SL 5.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Please read my book "Grinding as a way of life".
You get a 2 American USD dollar discount if you are on Amazon Prime.

Casual Hero

Augur
Yeah well hey: no pain, no gain. You either put in the work, level up like a big boy and DOMINATE or just rush ahead like a flimsy little soylet and die like a noob in the first real fight. And what do you do then, huh punk? Savescum like a subhuman, that's what, as if that's how to play like a man.

Scrub, git gud. Retards whine, real men grind.

*tips respectfully*
This was basically what I was thinking.
You can just play smart and most of the time scratch by without grinding, but if you do put in some time, the game should reward you.

Edit: Of course, this is how a good RPG should work. This can't apply to everything.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I used to love grinding, but the older I get the more I dislike it; I don't really like it anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom