Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any advice of beating counter spell bullshit with a mono red Purphoros deck?

Probably what you already know, just brute force through it.

Increase the size of you deck so you can deal with the occasional counter / mill deck.

It's brawl you I can't increase the size of my deck.

Might be worth trying a different format then.

If I'm not having fun with one format, I have no problem switching to another.

I've been meaning to give brawl a try for a while, I've just been autistically focused on memeing black-white-blue into a viable play style on standard.

Might give it a shot after my final exams are over (toward the beginning of January), got to travel ya see.

spectre

Arcane
Given that it's brawl, that takes away your best two options (splashing blue or black). If your deck relies on casting one expensive thing, you need to accept that it's inherently vulnerable to counterspells.

Here's what you can do: the already mentioned crawling barrens, mazemind tome to outdraw them (if they don't have a draw engine of their own, the counters will stop at some point) and cards with cheap escape cost:
beniz of ash eats three cards, Underworld Rage-Hound eats three, satyr's cunning eats two, force them to counter this over and over and wear them out.

The main reason I haven't built a serious historic deck yet is I know i'm gonna have to deal with the land destruct fags. I might get around to it eventually though.
Last time I've ever seen a dedicated LD deck was two years ago when Dominaria was a thing. I don't think people even remember that Haphazard Bombardment and Fall of the Thran was a thing, nevermind having the wildcards to craft such niche rares.
The format is way too fast for this shit anyway. Goblins don't care about you blowing up lands on turn 4 when they've already have skirk prospector and krenko engine out and Auras is already on it's way to deal twenty.
So, I figure, as the emote goes: you worry too much.
It would be interesting to try out the Ghost Quarter with Crucible combo together with Cleansing Wildfire (perhaps in some kind of a landfall shell) to punish greedy decks packing nothing but nonbasics,
but that's unreliable, especially in Bo1 when monocolored aggro is the default deck you'll be seeing.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Probably what you already know, just brute force through it.

Increase the size of you deck so you can deal with the occasional counter / mill deck.

It's brawl you I can't increase the size of my deck.
Perhaps there is a draw replacement effect to deal with mill? I remember back in the day I beat a Solidarity deck because he couldn't force me to draw due to Elfhame Sanctuary. Off the top of my head, Underrealm Lich is available in Arena. In red, that enchantment kind of works.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Lol maybe that's it. I remember when I could just have a Kozilek in my deck and it shuffled the whole library automatically. Or that cool Gaea card. I remember a guy using Painter's Servant to then mill my entire deck next turn.

I think land destruction is way more OP than counterspells though.

Having dozens of land destruction cards can shut down any deck.

There are still a couple options though, and not too much to make it crazy imo.

The main reason I haven't built a serious historic deck yet is I know i'm gonna have to deal with the land destruct fags. I might get around to it eventually though.

You shut your facehole. Thoughts Of Ruin was a totally fair and legit card that totally took a lot of skill to play how dare you.
Lol I just looked that card up, wtf. WOTC get the best crack.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah I play a 3 color in "traditional" ranked or whatever it is I play.. I think 5 color is boring too. 3 is my kind of thing, or 4, but usually the 4th is just one or two basic lands I fetch. Historic sounds interesting. I like the Play mode too which has a bit more than traditional.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Historic Brawl is way too good.

Dusting off my Emry Artifacts and Kaalia Angel/Demon/Dragon bullshit has been a blast.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Installling MTGA for the first time. Never played magic. Anything i should know? is there some kind of resource i get that i should wisely spend? On what? Any suggestion appreciated

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Earn gold which buys cards, and gems buy stuff too. Save your Wildcards. Do the practice mode until you can kill her and you know what is going on. Then start playing Play mode over and over. Do all the newbie quests. Max out your experience bars and it gives you tons of free cards. Then once you know the cards and decks, start spending your wildcards and gold on stuff you want. Try to focus on rares/mythics that can go in your dream deck, but if it doesn't work out as well as you hoped, they could be used in some other deck you would like. Preferably focus on one deck and get good at it though.

Also if you can enjoy playing with a fast aggro deck, then do it because it is much faster. I only really enjoy control but it takes longer to make cards because of that.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Most important advice: Don't take advice from control players. They aren't even humans just abyssal monsters who should be banished for all eternity. Better to take MTG advice from Hitler than control players.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Aggro players are mad cuz they picked the wrong game and keep get owned by smarter people :smug: Play Hearthstone if you don't like spells and complexity.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Midrange, combo, etc. Control is sweepers and counterspells and other stuff that doesn't make you do stuff it prevents other people from doing stuff.

spectre

Arcane
Redeem all the freebie codes to get you a bunch of stuff.
https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arena-codes/

You can browse the rest of that site to get an idea of what kinds of decks are being played, it's got good articles on budget decks which you should be able to craft with the starter cards.
Don't rush with spending wildcards and spending geld, there's plenty you can do with the stuff available to you from the very beginning and there are no schemes to get rich quick.
I don't know much about the tutorials and the whole starter decks thing, but you should unlock those first and get your bearings, stick to the Play queue and see what people are playing,
what colors you like to play, what stuff you keep losing to that looks fun, etc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
When you play real Magic (Vintage and Legacy) you'll see that control sucks dick.
Everything sucks dick in real magic! Twisting all those little cards every 2 seconds... I'd rather play russian roulette. But if you play MTG you gotta use control or you are gonna be someone's biatch. And often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom