Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arx Fatalis in Hebrew?

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
When I played this game almost 20 years ago, I noticed that the magic words are in Hebrew.
I also noticed the leech near the beginning is also speaking in Hebrew.
For instance, the night vision spell is "Or Yum", which translates to Daylight in Hebrew.
The leech also seemed to speak in Hebrew saying something like "Come here!" (Bo Hena).

No one seems to mention it that there is Hebrew in Arx Fatalis.
The issue is that the sound quality in this game is so bad, or so heavily distorted, that it's hard to tell.

But when I played it almost 20 years ago, I was certain it was in Hebrew.

What do you think are the magic words in Arx Fatalis from?
Also, if you can find a clip of the encounter with the leech, it will be easier to figure this out. Hopefully with no annoying youtuber talking over it.

Narushima

Cipher
If it is Hebrew, I imagine it's because it's the oldest, still living language that was used to write down the story of the Creation in the Ancient Testament, where words had magical properties ("Let there be light", as in your exemple).

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Well it's a game, they just wanted something to sound cool.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

It's a mix of "arcane" sounding words from various languages.

Spacium, tempus and vitae are runes for space, time and life. The words were directly taken over from latin.
Tera (earth) is another one, though it's written differently.
Then there are greek expressions like mega and other (southern) european sounding words like morte (death) or vista (vision). The latter at least seem to have latin origin (mortis, meaning death in latin and vistae means sighted).

A couple runes/words might be made up like comunicatum.
Aam (Create) and Rhaa (Weakness) are very close to Ultima's mantras Ahm and Ra.
However, those stand for completely different things (honesty and valor)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
So you're saying Arx Fatalis was a trick on Arkane's part to fool me into practicing ritual Kabbalah and summon the antichrist?

deama

Prophet
I've played through arx fatalis like over 5 times, what leech you talking about?

deama

Prophet
Damn. Nobody mentioned that the evil demon you defeat is called akbaa as in allahu akbar.
Imagine if this game was released after 9/11, it'd be on the front page of everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom