Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age diffculty

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fyi - Im a retard. I try to read all (ingame) Codex shit, and its so fucking dull i want to gorge my eyes out.

Havent given up yet.
I asked about one entry on the BioWare forum, and the developer answered. I think it was Gaider. He said all of the Codex were outsourced or some weird corportlate talk like that. This was years ago, though. Anyways, it surprised me and made sense why it's so disjointed from the main game.

v1rus

Arcane
Fyi - Im a retard. I try to read all (ingame) Codex shit, and its so fucking dull i want to gorge my eyes out.

Havent given up yet.
I asked about one entry on the BioWare forum, and the developer answered. I think it was Gaider. He said all of the Codex were outsourced or some weird corportlate talk like that. This was years ago, though. Anyways, it surprised me and made sense why it's so disjointed from the main game.

Real good info, ty. I think ill finish it, since I read more than half it by now, but god, aint it just pure drivel. And not only that, but you see from a mile away that none of this will play any part in the actual game world (or its fucking sequels).

If i make myself try Dragon Age 2, no way in hell ill be reading all this crap again.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Arcane Warrior with the proper gear + abilities really makes you feel like a god amongst men. Once you have enough mana regen to keep Shimmering Shield always active, you're basically indestructible.

I once solo'd the Archdemon on Nightmare using no potions just to see if I could do it. Auto-attack, get bitch slapped by dragon, Heal, Rejuvenate, auto-attack. Keeping just enough mana in the tank so you can Heal in between strikes. Took like an hour to kill the fucker, but I felt accomplished.

Probably the most autistic thing I've ever done tbh, besides posting on the Codex of course.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Arcane Warrior with the proper gear + abilities really makes you feel like a god amongst men. Once you have enough mana regen to keep Shimmering Shield always active, you're basically indestructible.

I once solo'd the Archdemon on Nightmare using no potions just to see if I could do it. Auto-attack, get bitch slapped by dragon, Heal, Rejuvenate, auto-attack. Keeping just enough mana in the tank so you can Heal in between strikes. Took like an hour to kill the fucker, but I felt accomplished.

Probably the most autistic thing I've ever done tbh, besides posting on the Codex of course.

Same realization, also on Nightmare. My lengthy fight was the boss in the dwarven ganglands. Some sort of rogue boss that could teleport around and disappear. For whatever reason (probably scaling), it was the hardest fight in the game for me by a large measure. And yet I beat it cause my Arcane Warrior simply could not take damage. At all. Like your fight, it did take quite some time to actually win, though. The rest of the party got ganked and wrecked within like two minutes and just laid around dead the whole time.

Zanzoken

Arcane
DA:O had some neat spells as well. Besides the Healing tree, the Glyph tree and the Mind Blast tree were useful for an AW. The one Glyph spell that created a forcefield and would throw enemies back was a favorite. Just cast it in the middle of a swarm and watch them go flying.

I probably like the game more than it deserves, since it was my second RPG (after Morrowind). Even started out playing on the Xbox, like a true popamoler.

:popamole:

Absinthe

Arcane
By the way, it's quite hilarious seeing "Oh, it's so easy" *plays with overpowered equipment, overpowered build, and overpowered party set up*. I usually play with an unoptimized build
Sure, you can go out of your way to handicap your build if you want. Hell, go all the way and play without Mages and make the game auto-level all your companions. I guess if you do an all-Warrior party consisting of your player character, Sten, Alistair, and Oghren using auto-level for all of them you can get some kind of challenge, but the game is also really fucking dull if you do that shit since it just turns into a retarded mess of melees swinging at each other, badly. Game's still easy if you just stock up on potions to be honest and equip decent gear. It's just slow and dull if you do this. It's a bit less slow and dull if you give your protagonist Trap-Making and Poison-Making, of course.

because I try to make "realistic" looking stat builds based on the characters in the game. For example, if I don't want to be an idiot, I get more cunning than Alistair, etc. Usually makes the difficulty for games seem more organic.
So you're pretty much LARPing, although there are a handful of Cunning dialogue checks in the game. Also, Cunning is explicitly not the same as raw intelligence in DAO.

this is also why they nerfed Grease Fire
Do you have an alternative link for unnerf? This one banned hard in my country.
Try this one.

DA:O had some neat spells as well. Besides the Healing tree, the Glyph tree and the Mind Blast tree were useful for an AW. The one Glyph spell that created a forcefield and would throw enemies back was a favorite. Just cast it in the middle of a swarm and watch them go flying.
Yeah the Glyph tree is really good. The first one paralyzes enemies and ignores spell resistance. The second one gives giant bonuses to defense, missile deflection (which is bonus defense that only applies to arrows), and mental resistance. The third one knocks people back (and can be stacked on top of the first one to create the Paralysis Explosion (if you drop a Glyph of Paralysis on a Glyph of Repulsion, there is no resistance check of any sort, just instant mass paralysis - if you do it the other way around spell resistance can apply), and the last one just completely negates enemy spellcasters. The only thing more unfair than Glyph of Neutralization against enemy Mages is Mana Clash.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
By the way, it's quite hilarious seeing "Oh, it's so easy" *plays with overpowered equipment, overpowered build, and overpowered party set up*. I usually play with an unoptimized build
Sure, you can go out of your way to handicap your build if you want. Hell, go all the way and play without Mages and make the game auto-level all your companions. I guess if you do an all-Warrior party consisting of your player character, Sten, Alistair, and Oghren using auto-level for all of them you can get some kind of challenge, but the game is also really fucking dull if you do that shit since it just turns into a retarded mess of melees swinging at each other, badly. Game's still easy if you just stock up on potions to be honest and equip decent gear. It's just slow and dull if you do this. It's a bit less slow and dull if you give your protagonist Trap-Making and Poison-Making, of course.

because I try to make "realistic" looking stat builds based on the characters in the game. For example, if I don't want to be an idiot, I get more cunning than Alistair, etc. Usually makes the difficulty for games seem more organic.
So you're pretty much LARPing, although there are a handful of Cunning dialogue checks in the game. Also, Cunning is explicitly not the same as raw intelligence in DAO.
That's hilarious. Unless you play a min-maxed build, you are LARPing? :lol:

Hey, play the game however you want, but if you're saying the game game is too easy, and you're over there sporting Helm of Honnileath and a min-maxed arcane warrior then maybe don't talk shit. You're coming off as someone who plays BG and respecs all the characters.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Lol, Dragon Age difficulty, fabled oxymoron. Takes me back to my epiphany from DA Inquisition. I was a knight enchanter. My party had all died except me. I was fighting a dragon, on nightmare difficulty. I had some kind of lazer sword ability, with a hotkey on keyboard, plus mouse click obviously. There I was, soloing a fucking dragon, button mashing to max out the cooldowns on my realtime attacks. It was then that it hit me, I hate RPGs. At least, what we now know as RPGs. The world had changed, and I was living in the past. A filthy neanderthal searching the heavens for dead gods.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lol, Dragon Age difficulty, fabled oxymoron. Takes me back to my epiphany from DA Inquisition. I was a knight enchanter. My party had all died except me. I was fighting a dragon, on nightmare difficulty. I had some kind of lazer sword ability, with a hotkey on keyboard, plus mouse click obviously. There I was, soloing a fucking dragon, button mashing to max out the cooldowns on my realtime attacks. It was then that it hit me, I hate RPGs. At least, what we now know as RPGs. The world had changed, and I was living in the past. A filthy neanderthal searching the heavens for dead gods.
Dude, you're playing Inquisition and making that comment. Sounds more like you are a huge fan of the series. I liked DA: O, but I wouldn't be caught dead playing Inquisition or 2.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I liked Dragon Age: Inquisition. In many ways it's mediocre, but it's mediocre in a very solid, comforting, and familiar way. It's the most classically Bioware game that's ever Biowared, so your tolerance will depend entirely on your tolerance for Bioware. It's a great summation of all of Bioware's post-2000s tropes, conventions, and cliches, only adapted to more of an Ubisoft style (lots of icons on a giant map) style of gameplay.

It has pretty good companions (with some sex scenes that are so absurd they are fun in a sort of self-parody way) and ends up having one of the best villains in any Bioware game (although, it takes some time for the villain to develop).

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane

Hey, play the game however you want, but if you're saying the game game is too easy, and you're over there sporting Helm of Honnileath and a min-maxed arcane warrior then maybe don't talk shit. You're coming off as someone who plays BG and respecs all the characters.
No, LARPing is when you want to make "realistic looking" builds and invest into Cunning so your character doesn't look like an idiot despite the fact that Cunning is fucking worthless for anyone who is not a Rogue, with an exception for one or two archery or dual-wielding moves whose stuns scale off of Cunning. It's when you build your character based on RP reasons when there's no in-game recognition for doing so. Playing suboptimal isn't LARPing in and of itself. There's no rule that a character without Cunning is an idiot in DAO (unlike Fallout/Arcanum). If you're investing into Cunning as a non-Rogue, you do at least unlock a handful of Cunning-based dialogues, but for the most part what you're doing is a LARP. It's not like the game will ever compare your character's intelligence as unfavorable compared to Alistair's. You're just doing that in your own head.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

No, LARPing is when you want to make "realistic looking" builds and invest into Cunning so your character doesn't look like an idiot despite the fact that Cunning is fucking worthless for anyone who is not a Rogue, with an exception for one or two archery or dual-wielding moves whose stuns scale off of Cunning. It's when you build your character based on RP reasons when there's no in-game recognition for doing so. Playing suboptimal isn't LARPing in and of itself. There's no rule that a character without Cunning is an idiot in DAO (unlike Fallout/Arcanum). If you're investing into Cunning as a non-Rogue, you do at least unlock a handful of Cunning-based dialogues, but for the most part what you're doing is a LARP. It's not like the game will ever compare your character's intelligence as unfavorable compared to Alistair's. You're just doing that in your own head.
You're talking out of both sides of your neck now because your argument is stupid. Yeah, cunning is worthless if you don't give a fuck about roleplaying and just want to kill everything. Huh, last I checked this was a roleplaying game, though. Maybe I should stop playing RPGs because it's all just LARPing. I don't think you know what LARPing is and/or you're a fucking idiot. Pick one.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I always thought Tevinter would've been a cool setting for a game. A society ruled by slave-owning, power-hungry shitlords who are obsessed with magic. Much more interesting than not England Fereldan and not France Orlais.

Biofag would've made the Imperium the bad guys of course, but if you could have the option to side with them it could be great for a Lawful Evil run.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I have played through the game multiple times, and the Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage build is the only one I gave up on halfway -- because I was facerolling everything on Nightmare difficulty. So I would only suggest you go that combo if you're not planning to touch the game for a long time afterward. Mages in general are totally broken in that game, and AW/BM is God among mages. You will not find any challenge with Arcane Warrior, unless you gimp yourself with an anti-synergistic second choice like Shapeshifter.

v1rus

Arcane
I have played through the game multiple times, and the Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage build is the only one I gave up on halfway -- because I was facerolling everything on Nightmare difficulty. So I would only suggest you go that combo if you're not planning to touch the game for a long time afterward. Mages in general are totally broken in that game, and AW/BM is God among mages. You will not find any challenge with Arcane Warrior, unless you gimp yourself with an anti-synergistic second choice like Shapeshifter.

Im finishing Orzammar, only Redcliff left. And yeah, its so broken, its funny. And im not even Blood Mage yet.

Def not planning on playing it soon, if ever.

Absinthe

Arcane
You're talking out of both sides of your neck now because your argument is stupid. Yeah, cunning is worthless if you don't give a fuck about roleplaying and just want to kill everything. Huh, last I checked this was a roleplaying game, though. Maybe I should stop playing RPGs because it's all just LARPing. I don't think you know what LARPing is and/or you're a fucking idiot. Pick one.
Grats, you're a retard. If you can't tell the difference between role-playing that the game actually recognizes and responds to accordingly and role-playing that takes place in your own head, you are a fucking idiot. Hint: The latter is what we call LARPing.

Im finishing Orzammar, only Redcliff left. And yeah, its so broken, its funny. And im not even Blood Mage yet.
You may want to install a difficulty mod then. The game gets boring as fuck once you start stomping everything. And Blood Mage spec is only going to make it even more stupidly one-sided. Honestly DAO needs more of a comprehensive rebalance tbh, but Bioware was always shit at that.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Grats, you're a retard. If you can't tell the difference between role-playing that the game actually recognizes and responds to accordingly and role-playing that takes place in your own head, you are a fucking idiot. Hint: The latter is what we call LARPing.
I already saw your argument and told you to pick one. Either you don't know wtf you are talking about or you're an idiot. Pick one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom