Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The writing is really that bad in Pillars?
Someone gifted it to me a year or so ago but I have not touched it, mind being in somewhat different places these days.
In pillars it is ok bad,it pllars2 is really bad,in outer worlds it is so bad that you could fall asleep while reading.

The writing in PoE1 is fine (Not great, not awful). The plotting sucks, and the overall narrative is fundamentally flawed and (perhaps more unforgivably) kind of boring. I haven’t played much of Deadfire, but what little I’ve played does seem overall more cohesive, probably because the blandness is consistent with no flashes of brilliance to call attention to the blandness.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
PoE’s prose was certainly of variable quality, but it definitely wasn’t the game’s biggest problem; there were very high-level thematic and narrative problems with the game’s plot structure and pacing. No amount of masterly prose would have fixed that.

Agree. I think the fact it had missteps pretty early on helped cushion ones later on because you were expecting it, but it would have been nice if it had improved.

Well, Bayonetta 2 turned out OK I think.

Was that taken over by another developer? (I haven't played Bayonetta.) In Avowed, while still employed in the same studio with a lot of control over design, it does seem a vote of no confidence in Sawyer bowing out and giving up on where Avowed goes... but that could be a good thing, story-wise, even if the trailer was pretty crappy. I would probably be less excited if Sawyer was heading up Avowed, but I don't know if having it headed up by someone unknown helps it, either (especially since it's not even using the "Pillars" name - at least Bayonetta had that).

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Obsidian never had good writting. They just had "edgy" characters and situations and thus were more memorable in a time when the competition was lacking in the writing department.

Today even Ubisoft has better writting in Assassin Creed.

What "edgy" characters?

Note I'm not defending them, I'm only curious. If they never had good writing, then their current writers must be below-basement level by that criteria.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
He blurred the image out, but it appears to be something from a Medieval tapestry. Historical RPG confirmed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh using that word is the clearest example of the 180 his personality has taken.

Sawyer in 2012 said:
What inspired your hatred of the word "epic?" Did you have to do a horrible project on Beowulf in Middle School or something?
As an adjective, it's become practically worthless. This is especially true in the context of fantasy, RPGs, and fantasy RPGs. When someone says, "this game is epic," I have no idea what he or she means.

"Epic" meaning awesome or grand in modern games/RPGs ala New Vegas Deus Ex: HR or Skyrim. Or even Wasteland 2
The fact that many people would not blink at the term being applied to all four of these games (one of which hasn't even entered development) means that it is effectively worn-out currency.

Eight years later: My game is going to be epic.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why anyone is still allowing Sawyer to direct/ write anything, is beyond my comprehension.
AFAIK, he's been shoved off to his little corner, making his almost-indy game so he won't interfere with the real projects. I guess they took pity on him, he'd probably kill his liver if he'd been fired.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why anyone is still allowing Sawyer to direct/ write anything, is beyond my comprehension.
Because he makes really fierce games.

Yes, SO fierce, right? RIGHT???

430593148.jpg

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Sawyer once again fails Relevancy Saving Throw

He sure posts a lot on Twitter, tho, good for him! Stay active on social media, that's the way to get your projects done.

Flying Dutchman

Learned

If he left, I think that would be a bad look for the studio, it's not like they are going to fire him, they wouldn't dare.

Sawyer seems the controlling type who can't do anything but be in charge, so he wouldn't be much of an asset to any other project but his own - so the smaller and out of the way the project is, the better.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I have been out of the loop for a while regarding Obsidian, in what ways has Sawyer gone into decline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom