Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What rpg games should i play ?

samoilaaa

Educated
hello im new here
I just started playing rpg games and i only finished the witcher 1 ( i plan to finish 2 and 3 ) , fable and wasteland 3
can someone recomend me some good rpg games that have good writing and alot of choices , like in wasteland 3 there were alot of choices that had an impact on the story
i searched on other sites but this looks like the place to ask for some good rpg recomendations

Shitposter
Arcanum is VERY cool, if you're gonna try one of the old-ass cryptic rpgs that people here will recommend that's the one

Age of Decadence was ambitious with lots of choices and serviceable writing, worth a shot
KOTOR 1 and 2 are classic if you're into star wars
I thought Pillars of Eternity 1 was good (haven't played 2) but people here hate that game because one of the devs has pink hair or something

Age of Fear games have INCREDIBLE writing and amazing gameplay but no real choices

EldarEldrad

Savant
Well, if you are new in rpg games then you should start right with the basics. No complex mechanics, just going plain and simple. Moreover, if you want to understand rpg game genre fully you need to start ab aeterno. Play Akalabeth: World of Doom, then switch right to Wizardry 4: Return of Werdna to solidify your newly gained skills in practice. Moraff's World is your next step to embrace graphic perfomance in its pinnacle. The next stop is Gorasul obviously, and then do not forget about Realms of Arkania HD. You final boss will be Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, and if you survive this far then you can congratulate thyself for becoming a True Lord of RPG Games Gaming.

curds

Magister
If you liked Wasteland 3, there is of course Wasteland 2. Also Fallout 1 and 2 for more turn-based post-apocalyptic.

If you enjoyed The Witcher, Gothic 1 and 2 are great third-person action-RPGs with a predefined main character in a dark fantasy setting. They are open-world games.

Fable is pretty garbage IMO, so I don't know what to recommend based on you liking that game.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
impeachable
Don't you mean "unimpeachable"?

As for the games to play: certainly the first two Fallouts, Age of Decadence, Planescape, Deus Ex, VtM: Bloodlines, Gothic, Shadowrun: Dragonfall. All are narratively rich RPGs, though some a little poorer in meaningful choices than others, but excellently written and overall rather immersive. If you like them, then from there you'll be able to move on to more obscure, technically substandard, older games or try other flawed gems with drawbacks a more casual player would not be able to overlook in order to enjoy them, and believe me, there are many.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As a baby's first RPG, the nu-Shadowruns aren't a bad idea. They are neither complex in terms of rules, neither too bland because of that. I'd suggest starting with Dead Man's Switch, however, it just gets better from there.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
hello im new here
I just started playing rpg games and i only finished the witcher 1 ( i plan to finish 2 and 3 ) , fable and wasteland 3
can someone recomend me some good rpg games that have good writing and alot of choices , like in wasteland 3 there were alot of choices that had an impact on the story
i searched on other sites but this looks like the place to ask for some good rpg recomendations

Easy Divinity: Original Sin 2 recommendation. Its 60% off too. Best RPG game for someone getting into them now.
Be careful not to play all the 25 year old games that other RPG game Codex posters might mention. They are mocking you, because they don't want their RPG games forum getting new users. Its very sad, actually.

games

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Easy Divinity: Original Sin 2 recommendation. Its 60% off too. Best RPG game for someone getting into them now.
Be careful not to play all the 25 year old games that other RPG game Codex posters might mention. They are mocking you, because they don't want their RPG games forum getting new users. Its very sad, actually.
No. Suffer through D:OS EE first, then play D:OS 2.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you like D&D then you should play Temple of Elemental Evil. I highly recommend you use the Temple+ mod.

Behold:

WhQ8asT.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom