Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What rpg games should i play ?

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

The best new rpg, with good story, worldbuilding and combat. Its the best rpg that emulates Baldur's Gate 2, the best rpg of all time.

purupuru

Learned
good writing and lots of c&c?
Arcanum is good, a high int/cha diplomatic character would get the most out of it, and still destroy enemies with Harm. That said the game also offers a unique and rather polished experience for low int and low cha characters, so it's worth a couple playthroughs if you are into reactivity like that.
Mask of Betrayer has top tier writing and very meaningful choice & consequence, the downside is the plot continues from NWN2 OC which is underwhelming, also it's epic level dnd which means there is a lot to take in if you are not familiar with dnd 3e and even after you do all your homework the combat is just not any good.
And of course Disco Elysium, a.k.a rpgcodex 2019 GOTY:incline:

Gargaune

Magister
If you like D&D then you should play Temple of Elemental Evil. I highly recommend you use the Temple+ mod.

Behold:

WhQ8asT.jpg
Man, how do you see anything in ToEE at 1440p? I dropped my resolution to 1280x800 just to be able to tell the characters apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

barghwata

Savant
hello im new here
I just started playing rpg games and i only finished the witcher 1 ( i plan to finish 2 and 3 ) , fable and wasteland 3
can someone recomend me some good rpg games that have good writing and alot of choices , like in wasteland 3 there were alot of choices that had an impact on the story
i searched on other sites but this looks like the place to ask for some good rpg recomendations

If you want a well written RPG with alot of choices Fallout New Vegas is your go to. Other then that i recommend Planescape: Torment and Fallout 1. Anyways you can just look up the codex's top 100 list, everything you need is there.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Man, how do you see anything in ToEE at 1440p? I dropped my resolution to 1280x800 just to be able to tell the characters apart.

Don't set the monitor too far away from your face.

Also, most of ToEE's beauty is in its landscapes and maps, so it's worth it for the party and monsters to approximate the size of miniature lead figurines. GO FIGURE!

Miner 2049er

Scholar
samoilaaa, you have the choice: Leave this place as fast as you can and keep enjoying your mediocre life and games or become educated by the fine gentlemen here and get convinced everything is banal, shit and boring.

Gargaune

Magister

Don't set the monitor too far away from your face.

Also, most of ToEE's beauty is in its landscapes and maps, so it's worth it for the party and monsters to approximate the size of miniature lead figurines. GO FIGURE!
Yeah, but you still gotta right-click the little buggers to access the radial menu, so it helps to be able to tell which is which. One of my (many!) bugbears about its UI, you can't access character functions from the portrait selection.

Since you brought up the visuals, I've got a nitpick there too - they're pretty, sure, but the perspective constantly threw me off, especially outdoors. Best instance is the huge barn you see early in Hommlet, there's no depth going on there, it's literally the Top-Down example in this graphic.

Gargaune

Magister
Right-clicking anywhere opens the radial menu.
Oh, right. For a second I thought you meant there was some other UI function I'd missed. Yeah, I suppose that's true, you could just select the character portrait and right-click at random, you can manage with tiny figurines in that respect. I'd have still preferred to have action categories pop up for the active character like in IE, but it's manageable.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But seriously, if you liked Wasteland 3, some similar games are obvious recommendations: Fallout 1-2, Fallout: Tactics, Shadowrun Dragonfall. If you want a less futuristic setting with choices and TB combat, Age of Decadence and Divinity Original Sin 2 are great and will do the job. Arcanum too if you want to experience the great setting and choices despite the shit mechanics.

Since you liked The Witcher, Gothic 1-2 are the main inspiration. But like Fallout 1-2, they're masterpieces but old. ELEX is a modern version of it, less good but still one of the best, there's not many games like it. Risen might be up your alley too, all from the same developper. For a completely different type of setting, look at Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, lots of choices there and great atmosphere. Also look at Deus Ex 1, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Prey (from Arkane Studios) for cyberpunk/sci-fi settings.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rogue
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, Tales of the Unknown Volume 1: The Bard's Tale
Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back
Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, Eye of the Beholder, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Legend of Grimrock I & II
Age of Decadence
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

kA3m1cp.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hello im new here
I just started playing rpg games and i only finished the witcher 1 ( i plan to finish 2 and 3 ) , fable and wasteland 3
can someone recomend me some good rpg games that have good writing and alot of choices , like in wasteland 3 there were alot of choices that had an impact on the story
i searched on other sites but this looks like the place to ask for some good rpg recomendations

Elminage: Gothic, Romancing SaGa 2, and Wizardry Empire 2 are good. Play those.

GreyViper

Prophet
We have so many new mainstream RPGs that you most likely have heard. But for old classics here are games worth playing with good writing.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Age of Decadence
Ultima series
Quest for Glory Series.
Ravenloft Cruse of Sthrad and Stone Prophet.
Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete.
Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga
Drakensang 1+2 (really beautiful ambient art)

PS. Age of Decadence and Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga are technically not old but definitely overlooked.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
hello im new here

Here's the only list you need
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11193

samoilaaa

Educated
Before we allow you to play more cRPGs you have to tell us what the nature if a RPG is.
im not really sure because i just started but for me an rpg must have
Character creation
A story where we can make choices , the game doesnt just put some cutscene after every couple of minutes
The gameplay is more complex than an typical action game , we can solve a situation using different methods , we dont have to use brute force to go forward

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom