Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ash of Gods: Redemption - Banner Saga-like with CCG elements

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, I left this unfinished a year or so ago, but recently I've been curious about how the story continues. I've installed it again and I'll start over, this time in Russian. I also read the prologue and two chapters posted on the game's website. The story and characters are carrying this game in a great way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok, I left this unfinished a year or so ago, but recently I've been curious about how the story continues. I've installed it again and I'll start over, this time in Russian. I also read the prologue and two chapters posted on the game's website. The story and characters are carrying this game in a great way.
does it have normal difficulty now ?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is what is I have when I start a new game:

upload_2020-11-24_18-7-13.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

View attachment 16509
Ahhh so no then,same as before. I wanted a middle of the road in between classic and story mode. The combat was too annoying to play on classic and story was too easy. Games like this one are such a missed opportunity and piss me off greatly. The map and the moving system is pretty cool,but then they decided to make it linear garbage where you make only choices and that is it. If it was an open world game about exploration and being able to see all the variations without getting locked off,that would have been great.

Parabalus

Arcane

View attachment 16509
Ahhh so no then,same as before. I wanted a middle of the road in between classic and story mode. The combat was too annoying to play on classic and story was too easy. Games like this one are such a missed opportunity and piss me off greatly. The map and the moving system is pretty cool,but then they decided to make it linear garbage where you make only choices and that is it. If it was an open world game about exploration and being able to see all the variations without getting locked off,that would have been great.

Can't you set the Reaping level manually now though?

That's an additional in-game slider. So you'd select classic, then after the tutorial put Reaping on 1.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There is a "Harvest Reaping strength" which is set to 1 in the beginning of a "Classic" game. That's all the difficulty adjustment I can see.

Can't you set the Reaping level manually now though?

That's an additional in-game slider. So you'd select classic, then after the tutorial put Reaping on 1.
It begins at 1. I guess the point is to roll it back later as you progress and it raises.

Farewell into the night

I remember playing this, I'ven't finished it, tho.

Parabalus

Arcane
There is a "Harvest strength" which is set to 1 in the beginning of a "Classic" game. That's all the difficulty adjustment I can see.

That's it, it will go up as you play the game, but you can turn it back down to 1 (before you couldn't outside of proper gameplay). Huge effect on difficulty.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There is a "Harvest strength" which is set to 1 in the beginning of a "Classic" game. That's all the difficulty adjustment I can see.

That's it, it will go up as you play the game, but you can turn it back down to 1 (before you couldn't outside of proper gameplay). Huge effect on difficulty.
As far as I understood in my first attempt at playing it, if you make the right decisions it will raise more slowly.

Parabalus

Arcane

As far as I understood in my first attempt at playing it, if you make the right decisions it will raise more slowly.

Not really 'right', it's a choice with consequences. Affects the endings.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Not really 'right', it's a choice with consequences. Affects the endings.
Did they fixed the shitty combat? The initiative was really retarded lol.

Bara

Arcane
Did they fixed the shitty combat? The initiative was really retarded lol.

I found the initiative system tolerable since you could choose which party member goes until you cycle through them all. Could plan out ahead and use your stronger characters towards the end to nuke the remaining foes so the last enemies doesn't rip through your party members from getting more turns due to forced round robin bullshit.

May round robin initiative die with DOS2.

I've installed it again and I'll start over, this time in Russian.

Once you get through more of it how's the writing holding up in Russian? I'm curious if it just flat out better than English.

The world and story was interesting enough when I finished the game but felt I was fighting the translator at times.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Once you get through more of it how's the writing holding up in Russian? I'm curious if it just flat out better than English.
I finished the first chapter, and although subjective, I definetly think the text is more coherent in Russian. My returning to the game was fully driven by my curiosity how the story continues, despite playing in English the first time.

2nd page since January, that's how hot this game is among Codexers~
It's a pity that the codexers who have taste for good writing are an endangered breed on the Codex. It's evidenced by Disco Elysium too. The vocal party is memers who regurgiate how great Torment is because they think this gives them clout and lets them blend in better.

Nahel

Arcane
A better game than Banner saga imo even if they were inspired by it.
Ending is a bit abrupt

laclongquan

Arcane
2nd page since January, that's how hot this game is among Codexers~
It's a pity that the codexers who have taste for good writing are an endangered breed on the Codex. It's evidenced by Disco Elysium too. The vocal party is memers who regurgiate how great Torment is because they think this gives them clout and lets them blend in better.

When gamers say they want good writings, they mean the writings that is to THEIR taste.

When devs say they have good writing, they mean the writings that written by them.

These two meanings dont always meet each other, you see.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have a hunch that the fan-made translations of everything that's not English will be better than the English.

Codex Year of the Donut
"how come people don't like this story-heavy game with an awful translation?"
big brain moment

Codex Year of the Donut
the translation is better now btw, it was really bad at release, machine translation quality
combat isn't as awful as banner saga(hp and attack aren't tied together), but it still has the same annoying round robin initiative

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems interesting but my interest died as soon as I read round robin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom