Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
(((Patricia Abelheim)))

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jewish names are just fancy German in general. Jews did not have family names here, so historically they were allowed to just make some up. Now some Jews took the usual route of calling themselves by a trade in their surname - Müller (Miller), Becker (Baker), Schmidt (Smith) etc. Most just called themselves some fancy shit like Golden Tree (Goldenbaum), Rose Valley (Rosenthal). Did not help their assimilation or integration but its the reason Jewish names are so distinct from German names. That said, the Japanese do indeed not seperate between the two. They do not give a fuck about Jews.

Endemic

Arcane
Atelier has often been German-themed in general (Salburg, Arland and Sophie's game come to mind).

Reinhardt

Arcane
Almost every Atelier game has playable characters with german-sounding names.

Puukko

Arcane
Started Shallie proper and it grabbed me just as much as all the other ones have. I'll get the 'eh' out of the way first: monsters are heavily recycled to the point where some 80%+ are copied from the previous two games. There is no time limit of any kind which diminishes the challenge and importance of preparation, and you're always on your ship which you can access to drop off any loot or take a minute's trip to town to replenish crafted items. The base game is easier than the other two once you get all your combat tools and a full party. The hardcore difficulty is one of those where it gives extra XP and money which seems to result in easy overleveling.

Field events (gather stuff to unlock options for better ingredients or more battles) work almost exactly the same, except that they seem to have done away with the bosses you encounter this way in favor of hordes of enemies. I wish they had both as an option. On a related note, one ~mid game area had four bosses just scattered about in a single area which I guess fills a similar role.

Now, the main attraction here is the combat which has been further enhanced. You have the same 3+3 party as well as ultimate attacks and support defense/offense, but there's no movement on the field anymore, which is fine by me. One of my main gripes with E&L's combat was how backup party members were tied to spots on the field rather than the front row members, so you could lose access to them easily by moving around. I am glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. The main addition here is burst mode which is simple in itself - fill a bar to 100% via attacking to enter a mode where you deal roughly double damage as the bar drains back to 0%. During this your support attacks get stronger as you use them in a row, so it is recommended to use all 3 backup members' attacks in a row to have the last one be a special. On top of this, you also have your ultimate attacks, as well as a system where upon entering burst mode, you get up to 3 character specific buffs depending on how high the burst meter is. So you get it to about 90%, then use say, Escha's attack that gives bonus burst, as well as one support attack to raise the meter to 150% which means burst mode lasts that much longer and you have 3 significant buffs active (chance to go twice in a row, bonus back row recovery, auto KO recovery, etc.) which all comes together to create this really engaging combat system. Curious to see how I handle the post game bosses with this system.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I wish Ryza would sit on my face
fa7.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Endemic

Arcane
Since nobody is blessing us with translation patches for the PS2 Ateliers, I had a look myself. Unfortunately extracting text is a programming nightmare due to non-standard encoding, so have some untranslated screenshots of Atelier Lilie for now.

Ingrid, one of our fellow alchemists:

OgCqGGV.jpg

Dornier, father\mentor of the group:

V2aOOI7.jpg

The atelier itself:

FeeVEnW.jpg

Walking around town:

YfNMsEk.jpg

A fellow craftsman offers his support:

AXxQIA2.jpg

Time to read some books:

7tPD1mr.jpg

Unlike the first two Ateliers, you can explore individual sections of settlements:

900yFzg.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game cost nearly one third of average monthly minimum wage where I lives :lol:

For non industrial area this game cost nearly half the monthly minimum wage.

Like Jesus, Koei Tecmo insistence of not having regional pricing is insane.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How much in USA $$$$

The graphic style reminds me of some old c64, amstrad, etc perspective. That's pretty cool.

IceyD

Scholar
Very familiar to the first one.

The changes so I've seen so far:

• You have to generate CC points in battle to use items (gained by using skills). You can use multiple items in the same turn if you have enough CC to do so.
  • You can hold RB to select skills as soon as enough AP become available, allowing you to combo it after the melee hits.
  • You can also combo additional skills in sequence if you have enough AP to do so.
  • There's a bigger area to the battles and I guess monsters buff each other in proximity but it seems kind of vague still.

Otherwise the Action Order attacks are still there and pretty similar. Same with Stuns and Breaks and enemies charging up big attacks. Your battle tech level is still there and feels more streamlined, again it just makes melee combos longer and skills more powerful.

Alchemy is also similar but the biggest change to the game seems to be the skill tree where you unlock recipes and gathering/crafting passives. Through the skill tree I just unlocked the ability to find new recipes in the actual crafting loops, similar to the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom