Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Fantasy General II by Slitherine Games

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm playing on hardest difficulty with no scaling (because scaling is for fags) and have been doing fine up until now, but holy shit the lizard lands are tough. They seem to have entire flocks of those flying cunts and they seem more numerous than Soviet divisions in a WW2 wargame. How do you deal with this shit? All the debuffs giving higher chance to kill my units are blowing a hole through my budget, and my eagle forces cannot fully cope with six fucking swamp dragons at a time ganging up on them

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm playing on hardest difficulty with no scaling (because scaling is for fags) and have been doing fine up until now, but holy shit the lizard lands are tough. They seem to have entire flocks of those flying cunts and they seem more numerous than Soviet divisions in a WW2 wargame. How do you deal with this shit? All the debuffs giving higher chance to kill my units are blowing a hole through my budget, and my eagle forces cannot fully cope with six fucking swamp dragons at a time ganging up on them

If you have wolfmothers/ravencloak you can spam bats/crows, the dragons love targeting them to a fault. You spawn them on your archers and the dragons will kill themselves.
If you get any empire volunteers prioritize fire archers and armored archers, aerial monster hunters and phoenixes.

The missions are very tedious, best to space them out over a few days.

thesecret1

Arcane
All the lizard missions done save for Sunken Coast. Holy shit this thing. I swear I must have killed over a dozen of those flying dickheads, yet they keep on coming. Investing in fire archers and monster hunters was a good tip, but I'm still only barely managing to hold the flying tide. Meanwhile I'm getting trolled by ground forces that retreat at every opportunity and of course the witch doctors that seem to exclusively petrify my ranged units. This mission is truly hell. Easily the most painful mission in the game so far.

Parabalus

Arcane
All the lizard missions done save for Sunken Coast. Holy shit this thing. I swear I must have killed over a dozen of those flying dickheads, yet they keep on coming. Investing in fire archers and monster hunters was a good tip, but I'm still only barely managing to hold the flying tide. Meanwhile I'm getting trolled by ground forces that retreat at every opportunity and of course the witch doctors that seem to exclusively petrify my ranged units. This mission is truly hell. Easily the most painful mission in the game so far.

It's the campaign's low point, to be sure.

Apparently it used to be much worse, since at release you had no flying units and the swamp movement speed penalty was even worse.

Dolos or a phoenix (or anyone if you lucked into the item) can Cleanse the petrify, but you still lose out on the defensive fire, though the AI sometimes petrifies after attacking.

thesecret1

Arcane
Finally beat that mission. After spending more than half the turn limit on fighting that massive clusterfuck of a battle near the mission start, I found the rest of the map to be more or less empty and leisurely explored every nook and cranny of it. I hope there won't be more missions like that.

Also, I'm blowing all my money on giving the All Terrain training to every unit I can. Am I making a mistake?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I played the first mission of the demo prologue and it looks cool. I chose the Empire, naturally, but it seems like the actual full game focuses on the filthy barbarian hordes? Filos disapproves.

Parabalus

Arcane
I played the first mission of the demo prologue and it looks cool. I chose the Empire, naturally, but it seems like the actual full game focuses on the filthy barbarian hordes? Filos disapproves.

There is another campaign now which features the Empire, Filos is the PC.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He might look like a closet case, but he's definitely better than the other two clowns of the barbarians. Also, Fantasy General 1 or Fantasy Wars (i.e. the remake)?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Both are good games, but FW is p janky. Also, the big problem with FW is that while I'm rarely a graphic whore, that game really has aesthetics that can burn your eyes out. Quite literally, too, as it's one of those titles from the period when designers thought cranking up bloom until it bleeds is a good idea.

But yes, FG is a great game, if a bit on the simplistic side. It's widely considered one of the best five star general games, definitely in the top3 imo. Just edit the dosbox config file to lower the cpu cycles, otherwise it suffers from a really bad case of instascrolling.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fantasy wars and elven legacy are far better than fantasy general. The worst part of those games is that you have a timer that constantly rushes you.

Parabalus

Arcane
Some kind of timer is necessary.

FG2 has a soft timer, where you don't get any more money or items after it runs out, which works great until you have too much money.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

FG2 has a soft timer, where you don't get any more money or items after it runs out, which works great until you have too much money.
Yeah it is disgusting thing,same with fantasy war. Any such timers are show of half-arsed development and admission of not being able to come up with a good system. Sadly it is a part of most TB strategy games,it is a stale nearly dead genre. The games are a lot more fun when you are able to explore and fight at your own pace. Being forced by timer means you end up ignoring most of the map and b-lining to the objective to get the good items. The best option will be to go away with the timer and make it about side objections. There is plenty of way to make challenging without having to rush it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Fantasy wars and elven legacy are far better than fantasy general. The worst part of those games is that you have a timer that constantly rushes you.
At what exactly are they far better?
Fun and gameplay,i enjoyed them a lot more than fantasy general. I even replayed them a few months ago.
FW is pretty much a spiritual successor/quasi-remake of FG that doesn't add anything interesting to the formula, only with much worse production values and atmosphere (FG has, for example, one of the best soundtracks ever) so I really cannot see how they are "far better" or better at all, but OK.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At what exactly are they far better?
Fun and gameplay,i enjoyed them a lot more than fantasy general. I even replayed them a few months ago.
FW is pretty much a spiritual successor/quasi-remake of FG that doesn't add anything interesting to the formula, only with much worse production values and atmosphere (FG has, for example, one of the best soundtracks ever) so I really cannot see how they are "far better" or better at all, but OK.
Nah,you are just butthurt about it. I prefer fantasy wars over fantasy general every day of the week. I had a lot more fun with it than any fantasy general,for the rest i don't care.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yeah it is disgusting thing,same with fantasy war. Any such timers are show of half-arsed development and admission of not being able to come up with a good system. Sadly it is a part of most TB strategy games,it is a stale nearly dead genre. The games are a lot more fun when you are able to explore and fight at your own pace. Being forced by timer means you end up ignoring most of the map and b-lining to the objective to get the good items. The best option will be to go away with the timer and make it about side objections. There is plenty of way to make challenging without having to rush it.

Are you talking about FG and FG2?

Because there even on the highest difficulties you can get everything, and you pretty much have to, otherwise the later maps will too hard. That's where the difficulty comes from.

Time limits are a fundamental part of strategy.

mondblut

Arcane
Any such timers are show of half-arsed development and admission of not being able to come up with a good system. Sadly it is a part of most TB strategy games,it is a stale nearly dead genre.

That's called "wargames", and the reason they usually have turn limits is to make sure that their painstakingly recreated siege of Stalingrad doesn't last for 15 years in the hands of a typical player.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Time limit usually forces you to not be a bitch and take initiative.
Any such timers are show of half-arsed development and admission of not being able to come up with a good system. Sadly it is a part of most TB strategy games,it is a stale nearly dead genre.

That's called "wargames", and the reason they usually have turn limits is to make sure that their painstakingly recreated siege of Stalingrad doesn't last for 15 years in the hands of a typical player.
Yes,i know why they are there. My point is that it is a stagnating mechanic and lazy way out of the problem. There is plenty of way that you could be made to move in and be more aggressive. They could made the ai more active,like when you attack a certain position to advance on another one and try to flank you,etc etc. The whole TB strategy genre is you killing dead AI and beating a timer. Every single game is pretty much a copy paste of that shit. It is really a dying and stale genre.

mondblut

Arcane
Yes,i know why they are there. My point is that it is a stagnating mechanic and lazy way out of the problem. There is plenty of way that you could be made to move in and be more aggressive. They could made the ai more active,like when you attack a certain position to advance on another one and try to flank you,etc etc.

Sorry, when you are recreating the Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 3d US Infantry Regiment's offensive in the early phase of Battle of the Outhouse against 1. Kompanie, I. Bataillon, Infanterie-Regiment (mot.) 5 between 12:00 and 15:00 on 18 October 1944, you don't get to introduce Gandalf riding Star Destroyer if the player does not take the objective by 15:00.

The whole TB strategy genre is you killing dead AI and beating a timer.

That's called "wargames".

Every single game is pretty much a copy paste of that shit. It is really a dying and stale genre.

The few people who play wargames think they are doing just fine. Fine enough to have monthly releases of glorified excel spreadsheets each costing 60 bucks to purchase. Casuals need not apply. Go play Warcraft or something.

zapotec

Liturgist
In Fantasy General I the turn limit was enough and it was also well integrated in the main story.

Black_Willow

Arcane
FG2 is a great game, I'm playing it ATM and I'm having as much fun as I had with the original FG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom