Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao
No body types beyond male & female really was a missed opportunity. Would've liked to go for a sculpted Corpo chad or a builtfat Nomad with a focus on melee.
i guess the body sliders won't really amount to much?
Doesn't seem so from what we've seen so far. And some devs even commented that you should focus on your hands since that's what you'll see most of the time anyway.

Which begs the question of why did they then decide to invest a lot into a varied clothing selection which is purely cosmetic? I'm guessing that they might've had 3rd person as well in an earlier iteration or at the very least 3rd person cutscenes.

Vatnik Wumao
No body types beyond male & female really was a missed opportunity. Would've liked to go for a sculpted Corpo chad or a builtfat Nomad with a focus on melee.
I think SCUM tied your stats with your body. In GTA San Andreas - if I am not mistaken - you can get fat by eating a lot and it does impact your stats. This is the approach I'd like to see more often in games.
Really liked that. Was disappointed that it did not make a comeback in GTA V.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Codex fawns all over deus ex, bloodlines, new vegas, system shock 2, all of them action rpgs with a first person view and fps combat... But suddenly cyberpunk being first person is a problem.

I haven't seen this register as a common complaint. There are plenty of other landmines they've managed to step on that will likely have worse consequences for the game.

typical user

Arbiter
What was better in GTA: San Andreas your muscle mass affected your performance, not just looks. If you were skinny you would run faster, if buffed-up you would jump over obstacles faster and kill enemies in melee in fewer hits, and if you were fat you would be slower, easier to hit and some missions would be blocked and potential girlfriends would reject you based on your body shape. In a game from 2004 mind you.

Gargaune

Magister
Didn't they say they were gonna have some sort of "photo mode" to pop into 3rd person for screenshots or whatnot? Anyway, not surprised but still disappointed at these questions, no one asked if we can wear baggy coats that make us look bigger than we really are.

Why this lack of 3rd person anyway, "immersion"? It's a waste of customization options if you have to toggle some sort of freeze frame shit on just to see yourself.
Pondsmith stated in an interview about the game that he and the devs decided upon it also due to the fact that 3rd person would be metagamey if you can play with the camera angles and see more than just what's in front of you.

I must say that's a pretty lame excuse, the real reason must've been some technical limitation. Hard to believe, but it must be.
Not too sure, the truth might be somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, CDPR does seem to have gone whole-hog on 1st person even in cinematics, only conceding on driving for obvious reasons, so it is plausble that creative vision is the driving factor, but it's also true they're saving on their animation budget this way. Sure, they've got full body awareness in 1st person, but those animations don't tend to translate well to 3rd person perspective.

3rd person better be moddable.
Maybe. If there's still code and animations in there for modders to latch onto. But even if there is, it probably won't be good for play beyond the odd screenshot, CDPR settled on 1st person a long time ago in development.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
they're saving on their animation budget this way.
I was thinking if the reason is technical, it's more likely connected to the amount of stuff needed to be rendered in a 3rd person vs 1st person game. The more narrow field of view in 1st person is a bit more economical.

Robber Baron

Savant
I was thinking if the reason is technical, it's more likely connected to the amount of stuff needed to be rendered in a 3rd person vs 1st person game. The more narrow field of view in 1st person is a bit more economical.

Third person camera makes no sence in an immersive shooter game anyway, imagine CoD in third person, like what

Gargaune

Magister
The issue with that is that it would allow you to see around corners in interior environments and what not.
I don't buy this argument. Whether by leaning or various cover mechanics, the ability to peek around corners is quite common in FP games these days. Sure, 3rd person would give you a wider viewing angle, but I have a hard time imagining how that would make a huge bit of difference for CBP2077.

Codex fawns all over deus ex, bloodlines, new vegas, system shock 2, all of them action rpgs with a first person view and fps combat... But suddenly cyberpunk being first person is a problem.
Not a problem, in fact I'm still butthurt over Montreal not giving us a 1st person cover option in their DX sequels. But this isn't DX, and with all that character customisation in the mix I wouldn't mind the occasional 3rd person in there.

Eh... Possible since the last console gen is involved, but I don't think it's enough to make the thing keel over and I'd be surprised if the game doesn't have a customisable FOV anyway. If there are technical rationales behind it, I suspect the cost of animation assets to the more likely culprit.

I think there's also some design considerations on the scale of spaces and objects, but I don't know how that measures up to your typical Bethesda game.

Maxie

downtown warsaw
comment_160648397998g2P7ZHv5cXFEJ0SCvy4P.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
What was better in GTA: San Andreas your muscle mass affected your performance, not just looks. If you were skinny you would run faster, if buffed-up you would jump over obstacles faster and kill enemies in melee in fewer hits, and if you were fat you would be slower, easier to hit and some missions would be blocked and potential girlfriends would reject you based on your body shape. In a game from 2004 mind you.

Actually there's bit more to it , each girlfriends have preffered Bodytype , some even Fat CJ/Muscular Fat had some unique benefits to him. Also Buff CJ was slighty slower Skinny CJ after certain point. I wonder why didn't anyone tried to copied until today.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Third person didn't help Twitcher having good combat in the slightest and imagine shooting guns in third person.

Have Codexers become retarded?
I don't have to imagine it - it exists in multiple games. Splinter Cell and Hitman, to name just two. Plus, what Mebrilla ninja'd me for - find me a game with good melee in first person.

I suspect the cost of animation assets to the more likely culprit
Yeah, given the fact they had to develop something like this for Witcher 3, plus the fact that in CP77 they can't predict what each possible player's face will look like from every possible camera angle during conversations, probably that was among the big factors.

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Center of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
haqbg25e5h161.jpg

Lol they advertise the game about crime and gangs in real life shithole:

"The state of São Paulo recorded the lowest murder rate in 2019 since the beginning of the historical series in 2001.
The number of cases dropped 5.8 percent in the year from 2,949 in 2018 to 2,778 in 2019. In terms of victims, there was a 6.4 percent drop, with 2,906 victims in 2019, compared to 3,104 in 2018."

This fucking city alone has 3x the number of murders that whole country of Germany has:
"In 2019, there were 720 murders recorded by the police in Germany"

:0-13:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom