Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any good CRPGs made with RPG Maker?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
When the game's complete would any of you fancy testing it out? A lot of the story will mean jack shit to you coz it draws heavily from the experiences from me & my mates, plus combat isn't something I'm focusing on massively either, as they're mostly all old popamole folk who need an awesome button to keep focused, but it'd be handy to have another set of eyes on it to point out any major bugs

You really found the words to sell it ...

You should get yourself hired by Bethesda's marketing team, you could be our Trojan horse and sabotage their sales numbers.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Aedephmia is a massive game with a stunning and rather unique handmade graphic style and an almost dreamlike atmosphere. Unfortunately my French is too crippled to understand much and I'm too lazy to use a dictionary all the time. I still hope there will be an English version someday.
Played it for a bit. Setting is interesting and the writing adequate. Does a great job at building an atmosphere between the tile work and music. Seems to have some light stat-driven mechanics and bit of c&c too, but I'll never find out how much. I tried to push it but I couldn't stomach the JRPG combat.

Falksi

Arcane
RPG Maker is SO addictive. The game I'm working on is already 90min long, and barely started yet. Think I'll crack a 10 hour game no probs, hopefully learn a lot along the way, then have a go at something else a bit more substantial.

Falksi

Arcane
The name of the program is misleading. It's called RPG maker, but you can only make JRPG with it, and JRPGs are not real RPGs.

Very true, although I fucking thrive on JRPG's and think there's a lush formula for them which a lot have veered from in recent years.

Ultimately it'd be nice to use it to produce some of the JRPG's which I've always wanted to see. A genuine successor to the likes of Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star 4, the old school Final Fantasies etc. But with lots more death, sex, pro-white racism, and all the other good stuff which got beat out of games during the SJW revolution.

curry

Arcane
650.gif

Terra

Cipher
I'm having an absolute blast doing my first game on this. Just totally fucking about and making a game for my missus & mates, which has loads of in-jokes & suchlike.

Starting to get the hang of it, probably have around 60-90 min worth of game there at the mo, and really just enjoying fannying about with it.
I remember first discovering the pirate fan-translation of RPG Maker 2000 back in the day (was still in high school back then). CDs would frequently change hands between me and my mates at school with our latest builds and we'd each play the others games after school. It was really good fun to mess about with, it's always been a solid, if ultimately limited, program.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm having an absolute blast doing my first game on this. Just totally fucking about and making a game for my missus & mates, which has loads of in-jokes & suchlike.

Starting to get the hang of it, probably have around 60-90 min worth of game there at the mo, and really just enjoying fannying about with it.
I remember first discovering the pirate fan-translation of RPG Maker 2000 back in the day (was still in high school back then). CDs would frequently change hands between me and my mates at school with our latest builds and we'd each play the others games after school. It was really good fun to mess about with, it's always been a solid, if ultimately limited, program.

Nice one. Yeah, thing is, the limits there have forced me to find workarounds which have been just as much fun.

To add some spice to the combat I've run one section on a Double Dragon theme......

eDDD1aJ.png

0WmXu7e.png

To break the limitations of the Generator I've imported various pets of mi mates......

pFU3NFw.png

And on the whole the game has become very reliant on imported pics to tell some of the story, so I've had tons of fun putting in stuff like a lesbian Amazonian warrior cut-scene......

4qRtm3o.png

......and also stuff like taking the piss out of my mates who'll play it. One who got bottle raped by a gay bloke once........

i6LZGfq.png

......complete with awfully done MS paint head for extra giggles.

I quite like how the limitations have forced me to try & find workarounds. Instead of wanting to create the greatest RPG ever, I'm just enjoying creating one taking the piss as much as possible :)

Falksi

Arcane
So I was thinking of making something for you chaps to have a go on instead. Anything which you'd like to see it include? (bare in mind I'm only gonna run with the basic RPG Maker stuff)

Any of you wish to be featured in the game too?

I've capped my current game off at around 1/3rd of the way in to see if any of the folk I'm making it for actually enjoy it, and I'm letting them have it as a trilogy. First part is around 2-3 hours long, and I had some real fun making it. Still got fucking LOADS to learn, miles away from being able to switch up artwork massively etc. but so far a good learning experience.

I like to keep things simple anyway, that's just how I am. Complexity in any form of entertainment has it's place, but I like what comes with RPG Makers bog standard kit enough to have a go at another game with it (I'll finish the current one if the mates I made it for take to it).

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Finally found this channel again, he's doing some interesting things with RPG Maker. Don't know if the extreme customization is ultimately worth it, though, or if you might be better off using something like Godot or Unity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Thread title.

Preferably western-style CRPGs, not JRPGs.

Technically it's possible, especially with plugins.
If you like exploration and shit ton of secrets in a big open world....map. Try out Laxius Power and Laxius Force games. Laxius Power 1&3 are the best ones,you should check it out. It is one of the best game sagas i have played in my life,it is shame how much of its lore and secrets has been lost. There is a lot of progression in between games and you could import your safe. Also if you decide to play it,do it on hardest because it opens new content and more quests and such. Also spacebar on everything,there is a shit ton of hidden things.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am playing "Lawless Lands" and it is pretty fun game,would recommend it. The worst part of the game is that it is too fucking dark and you can't see much. Another bad thing is the supply system,the more active party members you have,more it goes down. The problem is that it goes down too fast when in cities and dungeons. A work around it is to put them on inactive in cities and such. Also you could use cheatengine to speed hack 5x on wells so you could drink faster thus resupplying faster :).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Creating a cRPG in RPGmaker is like pulling teeth. You're much better off using Unity, which has flexibility and can scale.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Creating a cRPG in RPGmaker is like pulling teeth. You're much better off using Unity, which has flexibility and can scale.
You must like your teeth pulled then :) good for us, though cause we get to play your creations.

I belong to a really unfortunate and ludicrous class of people. "Professional" RPGmaker dev.

Although, I probably know more about the engine and what it can do than most, so that makes me something of a resource in this particular thread.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I didn't realize how far back the series went until that vid popped up. Naturally RPG Maker WIKI displays the list. Some of these are vsstly different and on different platforms. It is a pity thry aren't all translated and the adventures sorted out per platform and engine.

I know some will scoff at that but I've enjoyed looking at various construction sets since ACS so seeing this maker has a long history is pretty fascinating.

Why is this thread in general and not in jrpg section?

Last edited:

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Now that my second title, Gjallarhorn is set to be released in 6 days I can't wait to stop using RPG Maker.
It was a great way to learn the basics but now it is just holding me back.

FriendlyMerchant

rpgmaker is really mostly used for hentai games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom