Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Almost everything in and around Defiance Bay is soul-crushingly boring, though. That includes Dyrford village and Cliaban Rilag. Sure, you have the banshee in the tower and the weird theater murderer which I totally missed on my first playthrough (and I'm not the only one, surprisingly enough), but that's small comfort. I'm not saying Gilded Vale is sooo much better, but you have the whole Raedric thing to worry about and it has a nice culmination arc (faffing about -> finding Durance -> Temple of Eothas -> Raedric). Base game is peppered with unnecessary quests given out by boring people with silly problems (pre-natal vitamins woman, the prostitute with the necklace). Caed Nua's dungeon isn't good either, quite the contrary. The first few levels are ok, but then it just gets tedious. Good idea, terrible execution. As for Twin Elms, a lot of people seem to like it, but I'm ambivalent. It's rushed imo. The NPCs stop feeling like people, it's kind of hard to express. The druid orders are interesting on paper, but both the leaders have to be killed off to fulfill the gods' quests. Eh, whatever, the problem is the second third of the game, which is by far the longest. Twin Elms is also spoiled by the fact you are 16th level and nothing is of consequence anymore.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I liked the idea of the perverted immaculate conception, I am in love with the Skaen faith after all, but the temple and the Skaenites were handled like B-movie horror villains.
Wow, another episode of "Lacrymas against the entire Codex". How could I have missed it?

I always thought that the (albeit small) similarities between Christianity and the cult of Skaen were widely accepted as true, but it turns out I was wrong. I have played a couple of D&D campaigns in the world of Eora, and I have always stressed those similarities, making them one of the focal point of the cult.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I liked the idea of the perverted immaculate conception, I am in love with the Skaen faith after all, but the temple and the Skaenites were handled like B-movie horror villains.
Wow, another episode of "Lacrymas against the entire Codex". How could I have missed it?

I always thought that the (albeit small) similarities between Christianity and the cult of Skaen were widely accepted as true, but it turns out I was wrong. I have played a couple of D&D campaigns in the world of Eora, and I have always stressed those similarities, making them one of the focal point of the cult.
I had a supporter that time who was more ready to dish out the Bible quotes, I only quoted Pope Benedict XVI. it's a pretty cool thread.

Vatnik Wumao

Yet unlike Christianity (which has a heroic dimension), Skaenism is basically the equivalent of the Sith ideology in Star Wars - great for the underdog, but self-defeating when institutionalized. It is no mystery that Skaen and Woedica share an uneasy partnership since Woedica provides the perfect social environment for Skaen's worship among the underclass.

eXalted

Arcane
The lack of replay value is due to how mind-numbingly boring base game is. I'd say you can squeeze a few playthroughs by playing different characters. I actually managed to do 3 playthroughs of PoE1 - once when it came out with a Priest, then once again with a Priest (Skaen) when WM and all the patching was done, and a final time with a Bleakwalker Paladin. I tried to do an ironman run with a Druid, but it's a shitty class. I'm also planning a Wizard/Priest/Druid 3-man run sometime down the road. The problem is always how shit base game after the first town is.
And here, kids, you can see our favourite codex exhibit.

> Plays a game once.
> Plays the same game once more.
> Plays the game 100 more hours.

> Says that the game sucks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except I did enjoy what I was going, i.e. WM content. It is good enough to slog through base game for. Maybe.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree WM1 is the better part. Still, Part 2 is good also. Hampered a bit by its high level nature.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
After thinking about it, I'd agree, but only WM1.

That's too harsh. WM2 is great. It's just that WM1 is downright excellent. The monk-fight of WM2 is one of the best fights in the game period.

Loved watching my room mate shit himself in rage while he got ping-ponged around the room by those fucking monks. His usual strat of summoning a shitzillion enemies using the items was worthless

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
White March is probably a lot more fun if you intentionally avoid using the freezing fireball spell, isn't it?

Tigranes

Arcane
WM is certainly far better than base game, but it strikes me as weird to think basegame is unplayable while WM is concentrated gold. Is there such a massive, gaping difference?

It seems to me that the gulf here isn't as large as, say, NWN1 vs HOTU, where the base campaign was a truly horrific slog only Volourn enjoyed, and is on a whole different level of dull.

Anyway, I wonder if using the console to level up your characters and teleporting to the WM starting area can work as an easy 5-minute shortcut, or if it breaks any scripts. You could also use the built-in console teleportation UI to go shopping in Defiance Bay, and console in quest reward items if you wanted.

Shadenuat

Arcane
it's self sufficient story (unlike main game which knows fuck what it even wants to be) with extra effort put into levels, encounters and finally, itemization. In similar manner I always liked Heart of Winter more than IWD main campaign. although I woould gladly replay IWD over PoE main campaign.

it is always very important to also remember the context when people say how much they played one game. similar to DAO, POE came in a drytime of these games. there just wasn't any alternative when it comes to any BG inspired games. it's not like you could lavishly pick between poe 1 2 tranny kingmaker or even numa & disco etc.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there such a massive, gaping difference?
Yes. It's a self-contained adventure that has excellent pacing and structure, the fights are pretty good from start to finish, especially since you are there at the best possible level range, the itemization is great, you can get hidden abilities by playing the games in the tavern, the story isn't concerned with the gods (thank Christ for that), and you get a high level challenge area that utilizes the lore to a surprising degree. I think the maps in WM2 are more creative and more diverse, but that's the only thing it has an edge over. Don't get me wrong, WM2 is playable and the highs it hits are pretty impressive, but WM1 is indeed some of the best content the RPG genre has to offer. Base game is a slog.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Mind you, because this is a mid-game expansion, it destroys the pacing of the base game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom