Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Drakensang...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Great but River of Time is still missing. I still own the DVD version that doesn't work on Win10 because of the garbage DRM they were using.
Is it any good?
If you want a german Neverwinter Nights 2 with a much more complex RPG system then yes. Though I would recomend playing the sequel since it does every single thing better than the first one.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Great but River of Time is still missing. I still own the DVD version that doesn't work on Win10 because of the garbage DRM they were using.
Is it any good?
If you want a german Neverwinter Nights 2 with a much more complex RPG system then yes. Though I would recomend playing the sequel since it does every single thing better than the first one.
Ahh it is not fair to call it a nwn2 just because they have the same camera :). NWN2 AI is the worst one i have seen in my life,it is terrible.

V_K

Arcane
No, they actually have some of the best camera controls in a 3D party-based RPG. And level design is way more interesting than in NWN, especially in the sequel.
The one downside of the series (or not, depending on your perspective) is that combat, while isometric in presentation, under the hood is closer to a blobber. So don't expect positioning to matter much.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it any good?
Obligatory
drak4.jpg

latest

latest

rq3gd0q.jpg

Max Heap

Arcane
Alright games if you like the setting.
Especially the second one has some unique charm to it. The Dark Eye is an aquired taste though. It is drenched with the kind of german autism you'd normally just find in the simulation section of a european game store or in a back alley model train museum.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Shame English voice-over of River of Time is abysmal except for Ardo and Forgrimm.
Not a huge amount of voiced dialogue to tolerate anyway.
Err, the german version version of River of time is one of the best auditory experiences, VO considered. TDE has some cult following in germany and they really pulled out all the stops to activate it. A similar, but not quite as good phenomenom can be heard in Enderal.
One major difference between the english and german verions is, that in the latter, each ambient NPC talk is fully voiced, in high quality to boot (actually funny). I consider The River of Time the best german RPG and actually one of the best CRPGS ever, not only because the german version has one of the best VO of any game I heard.
Competitors would be: Bloodlines, Sacrifice.

overly excitable young man

Voice over quality is the most important criterion every rpg game should be rated by.

Good rpg games should have all text read to me.
Sadly we are still in stone age as even the best rpg games force you to read the answers before deciding.
Item descriptions, maps, what attack you used and the current hp of anyone in combat still arent voiced.

Theres a lot to voice over till we get the perfect rpg game.

razvedchiki

Erudite
theres even a proto-miltiades quest in drakensang, where you pay some merchant 1000 gold ducats (huge amount) to buy a ship and you get a boat!
fortunately you can chase after the merchant and take your money back, but not his head.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good rpg games should have all text read to me.
Sadly we are still in stone age as even the best rpg games force you to read the answers before deciding.
Can read the text thrice over by the time VAs finish acting it out.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The first game is pretty mediocre and forgettable, mostly due really bland quests, writing and constant backtracking.

The second game is better in pretty much every aspect and is well worth playing. The story is scaled down from saving the world to trying to prevent civil war and it manages to be much more interesting. Long backtracking that plagued the first game is fixed by adding ability to teleport to certain locations. The game also gave much more options to use non combat skills, which in first game mostly revolved about getting bigger reward when finishing quests.

ColCol

Arcane
The first game is pretty mediocre and forgettable, mostly due really bland quests, writing and constant backtracking.

The second game is better in pretty much every aspect and is well worth playing. The story is scaled down from saving the world to trying to prevent civil war and it manages to be much more interesting. Long backtracking that plagued the first game is fixed by adding ability to teleport to certain locations. The game also gave much more options to use non combat skills, which in first game mostly revolved about getting bigger reward when finishing quests.

This, I think I remember one quest where you're putting time into finding cultists and when you do find them and have an encounter.....it's literally like a small amount of people armed with knives who get bodied quickly. Among one of the dullest pgs I have ever played.

Clink

Educated
Don’t know why but I always confuse it with Drakengard.

Last edited:

Maxie

I've only two Agree ratings to spare on your generic opinions regarding Drakensang, settle it among yourselves who gets them

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
River of Time is very good. But fuck that crabmonster under the Efferd-Temple.

Seriously, fuck that thing.
Got two words for you: rat dungeon.
That one was pretty easy mate,it was not resistant to injuries and you could kill it by giving it 5 from what i remember. But yeah it is hard boss otherwise. The first one is a lot harder than river of times.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
River of Time is very good. But fuck that crabmonster under the Efferd-Temple.

Seriously, fuck that thing.
Got two words for you: rat dungeon.
That one was pretty easy mate,it was not resistant to injuries and you could kill it by giving it 5 from what i remember. But yeah it is hard boss otherwise. The first one is a lot harder than river of times.
It wasn't difficult, aye. Tedious though. Real fucking tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom