Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

There is also the 2 hours refund grace period on Steam. Usually enough to tell if a game is shit or not. Think GoG have refunds now too? Not sure.
GOG's refund policy is so generous that you can buy the game, finish it (30 day policy) and get a full refund.

Or you can just pirate a GOG installer. Games free either way if you don't want to pay.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
UL0xJpg.jpeg
holy shit...LMAO...so quirky XD Redditors LOVE this kind of humor XD

Yosharian

Arcane
Vermitide really?.. What it actually proves?... VIsually there is no impact is always the same story. You see the swing not even the blade or the weapon touching your oponent and then a splash of blood. Is just reinforces the flaw first person melee is horrible.

Have you ever played Vermintide?
The game creates a simple system where different types of enemies are weaker to different types of weapons of different reach and speed. You have attack, strong attack, block and push each having different effects on different enemy types. It's simple and you can't clickaway to victory because it requires reflexes and quick thinking aka fun.
No but i watched some gameplay video to verify if maybe that was a well done first persone combat and i saw it has the same exact problems of other first person games souch as Chilvary Mordauh
Vermintide is really good.

Harthwain

Magister
There is a reason moodern shooters put you a red arrow to show you where a grenade is coming.
Not all of them though. Red Orchestra 2 used a hand as point of reference, but Rainbow Six: Siege doesn't even use that (crosshair is all you get, and it's enough). The arrow is for games that want to make throwing grenades super easy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nigga i ain't reading that.
Nigga that's like 500 words you can read it in 2 minutes.

Well i read your link and it hasn't answered anything.

I'm asking for combat mechanics, character build options, quest design (apart from muh writing), world exploration etc.

Is it Witcher 3 with guns, or RDR2 with trannies? Is there any actual level design, dungeons or anything analagous to that (even if just building exploration a la Stalker)?

The opinions of the press don't interest me since for them this game could literally be CoD with fetch quests and they'd still call it an RPG.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Dunno why he tortures himself like this. All that effort, and no Quake or Duke 3D at acceptable performance.
The sacrifices one is willing to make to achieve the Original Experience... :salute:

But, yeah, I wouldn't bother either. Thankfully some of my all-time classics from the DOS era work on modern systems.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Off topic: what is it with this alert system? I don't get notified often about various watched topics, especially old ones and when I check them, there have been new posts, sometimes pages of them.
And Opera on mobile warns about fraud when refreshing. And it's been doing that for months.
What the fuck is with this website?

Naraya

Arcane
Thankfully some of my all-time classics from the DOS era work on modern systems.
Even better - most of the DOS era games nowadays work in a browser. You can play them on web archive or one of multiple "abandonware" websites. It's crazy.

I don't think things like MUNT or graphic filters are supported but basic serviceable emulation is definitely there.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dunno why he tortures himself like this. All that effort, and no Quake or Duke 3D at acceptable performance.

I don't think he's doing this to play games on these old machines, he just showed a few games to demonstrate the hardware.
He just likes messing around with old hardware like this. Also I assume he earns a good living making these videos, with almost 1,5 million subs...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Third person didn't help Twitcher having good combat in the slightest and imagine shooting guns in third person.

Have Codexers become retarded?

Witcher 3 combat was mediocre not because of camera, but other design problems: heavy attacks are underpowered; light attacks are overpowered; quen and axii make most fights trivial; defense is very effective and easy to do; there's nothing to prevent the spamming of the best attack+spells; because of mediocre enemy design most encounters are pretty samey; there's really no learning curve to the combat or any cool stuff to keep it engaging

With that said
3rd person camera IS better than 1st person for melee combat, for the following:

1) FP is bad for gauging distance, because obviously screens don't allow for depth perception, but a camera placed laterally or overhead to the PC is indeed of better help to perceive positioning and reach
2) TP also allows players to better obvserve what surrounds them, but more importantly you're aware of your PC's entire body and its movements
3) Because of the above TP simply allows for the game's combat to feature more complex actions

Now before you call bullshit on the 3rd reason, answer me this.
How many FP games do you know that allow you to perform something like a spinning roundhouse kick or any kind of grappling?

None.
Because in FP the camera is tied to the PC's movements, and having the camera quickly spin or roll around (and then stop for 3 seconds at the opponents crotch) without the player's input (taking control from him) would be very jarring
That's why in all FP melee games almost the entirety of the PC's moveset are very straight and simple attacks and overall less agile than characters in TP titles
Because FP camera just isn't suited to have the PC perform agile and complex moves where he can make use of his entire body

I mean it's no coincidence that the best brawlers are all third person
And it's also no coincidence that the best shooters are all first person

FP is better for action games that rely a lot on camera control
While TP is suited for action titles that depend mostly on button inputs

This doesn't mean there can't be good or even great TP shooters or good FP brawlers (there wasn't been any great one though), we know this to be false
But the truly best shooters are FP, and the best brawlers are TP

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
first review is out
Not that we didn't know that the US healthcare system is de facto non-existent.

DJOGamer PT - having played a small amount of hours (around 50 by now) of vanilla W3 Enhanced Edition mod, I think I will disregard anyone's further criticism of W3 combat, and advise you to do the same.

I will disregard it for the simple reason that, five and a half years after the game's release, anyone that is still playing it without this mod is clearly a fool who shouldn't be admitted to a serious discussion.

Owning it on console only doesn't count as an excuse either because the game's full edition has been offered at -75% for years now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom