Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You're all autists

The Jester

Cipher
Play Underrail, it's Fallout but easier:troll:

purupuru

Learned
Underrail's combat mechanic is ten-times better than Fallout.
It's one thing to have RNG in combat, it's another thing to not let the player do something about it. You have ONE equipment slot and even with power armor you can get one-shot by a minigun lucky crit. Fun? Sure, high randomness can be fun and exciting, even falsely rewarding when the luck is finally on your side, that's how Vegas makes its money, just don't pretend it's good rpg gameplay.

Risewild

Arbiter
Sure, high randomness can be fun and exciting, even falsely rewarding when the luck is finally on your side
The thing is that this randomness is not that random. If you want luck on your side most of the time, make a character with high or even max LUCK.

You can also make a character with the More Criticals Perks, and later you can get the Sniper Perk. If you are playing a melee character, get the Slayer perk and the randomness disappears and you will always hit critical hits, so luck is always on your side.

Better Criticals make the character even more unbalanced by allowing... well, better criticals by raising the values of the dice roll. This makes your criticals more powerful and it's the only way of being able to actually insta kill (not by damage, it's an actual insta death effect) if aimed at the head, eyes and torso. Enemies can't do this.

This is how RPGs should be, they are somehow random, but the randomness can be easily swayed in favor of a character, by improving that character relevant stats and skills.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fallout2 gamers chose to play Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas because of retrofuturism.

There's no such thing as Fallout 2 gamers, Fallout 2 was popular because of Fallout 1 (and i like both).

And the franchise stops there, people can't stop babbling about Fallout NV, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 ... They don't exist and if they did, they wouldn't deserve one line of comment.

As for retrofuturism or whatever shit hipsters jerk off about these days, the Fallout mania started because of Mad Max and it was always sold as post-apocalyptic (cf. previous sentence)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout2 gamers chose to play Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas because of retrofuturism.

There's no such thing as Fallout 2 gamers, Fallout 2 was popular because of Fallout 1 (and i like both).

And the franchise stops there, people can't stop babbling about Fallout NV, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 ... They don't exist and if they did, they wouldn't deserve one line of comment.

As for retrofuturism or whatever shit hipsters jerk off about these days, the Fallout mania started because of Mad Max and it was always sold as post-apocalyptic.

There is also Fallout: Ressurrection, Nevada, Sonora.

Besides, New Vegas was and still is great, despite Bethesda's engine.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just had a friend link that to me.

I have nothing further to add to this thread.

qlDie9K.jpg
This illustrates Wasteland 2's mechanics tbh, not Fallout

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There is also Fallout: Ressurrection, Nevada, Sonora.

Nevada is the autistic son of underrail in a Fallout engine, it's not absolutely bad but it's not good either, and the whole game is on story mode, give me back companions and difficult encounters you retarded modders!

Resurrection is good but it's a mod so of course, i don't count it as a game.

I can't talk about Sonora as my Russian never really took off so i'm waiting for a decent english translation (not a gargle translation)

purupuru

Learned
Sure, high randomness can be fun and exciting, even falsely rewarding when the luck is finally on your side
The thing is that this randomness is not that random. If you want luck on your side most of the time, make a character with high or even max LUCK.

You can also make a character with the More Criticals Perks, and later you can get the Sniper Perk. If you are playing a melee character, get the Slayer perk and the randomness disappears and you will always hit critical hits, so luck is always on your side.

Better Criticals make the character even more unbalanced by allowing... well, better criticals by raising the values of the dice roll. This makes your criticals more powerful and it's the only way of being able to actually insta kill (not by damage, it's an actual insta death effect) if aimed at the head, eyes and torso. Enemies can't do this.

This is how RPGs should be, they are somehow random, but the randomness can be easily swayed in favor of a character, by improving that character relevant stats and skills.
Obviously, critical is far more exploitable on player's side. I had a melee crit build in fallout where I can one shot everyone who is not the Master with a 95% chance hit to the eye. That does not change the fact that having enemy minigun crit ignore defense and force a reload is a very frustrating experience, and it's even worse that this kind of randomness is really the only "challenge" there is once you gear up. Ideally you would want to have enemies with different strength and weaknesses and change your gear/strategy according to it, make special ammo, craft resistance gears, memorize different spells, things like that. In Fallout it's all rather limited and bare-bone, if enemies don't crit they are just unimpressive trashmob, if they do get a crit with a minigun or gatlin laser it's instant gameover.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
if enemies don't crit they are just unimpressive trashmob, if they do get a crit with a minigun or gatlin laser it's instant gameover.
This is not completely true though. Even Minigun criticals don't kill most of the time if you're geared up. Because critical hits do not bypass all the DT and DR and the minigun attack has to check each projectile independently to see if it hits. So it's possible to have a critical hit from a minigun and only the first projectile hits and all the rest misses. As long as you don't have a character that is very squishy, you can usually survive a few critical hits before dying.
Now, if the enemy uses AP ammo, that will increase the critical damage, because it will reduce the character's defenses some more. Making criticals more dangerous.

Yes, if the enemy causes a critical, uses AP ammo and manages to hit most of the minigun shots. Then yes, a character will not usually survive. But these conditions don't happen very often at all. And since they rarely happen, it's not frustrating to have to load the game.

purupuru

Learned
if enemies don't crit they are just unimpressive trashmob, if they do get a crit with a minigun or gatlin laser it's instant gameover.
This is not completely true though. Even Minigun criticals don't kill most of the time if you're geared up. Because critical hits do not bypass all the DT and DR and the minigun attack has to check each projectile independently to see if it hits. So it's possible to have a critical hit from a minigun and only the first projectile hits and all the rest misses. As long as you don't have a character that is very squishy, you can usually survive a few critical hits before dying.
Now, if the enemy uses AP ammo, that will increase the critical damage, because it will reduce the character's defenses some more. Making criticals more dangerous.

Yes, if the enemy causes a critical, uses AP ammo and manages to hit most of the minigun shots. Then yes, a character will not usually survive. But these conditions don't happen very often at all. And since they rarely happen, it's not frustrating to have to load the game.
I did some math, with the formula BTH = (Skill - 30) + ((PER - 2) * 16) - (HEX * 4) - (AC of Target) (If the minigun uses a different one please correct me) a tough nightkin (9 PER 83 Big Guns) with a minigun would have 130 BTH to a melee fighter with power armor and 10 AGI at point blank range, so if it crits it always goes all the way, unless your character is more than 7 hex away. So it is really much more of a problem for melee characters than others (which now that I think about it is consistent with what I felt during the playthroughs), but anyway "hitting all the bullets" is not as rare a situation as you made it sound like.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Play Underrail, it's Fallout but easier:troll:
:shredder:

Hmmm it is harder but a lot better than fallout games. Fallout are good games but many of their mechanics haven't aged well,like the fucking inventory or the shitty companions. It is interesting how people bitch about NWN companions but fallout retards are ok lol.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hmmm it is harder but a lot better than fallout games. Fallout are good games but many of their mechanics haven't aged well,like the fucking inventory or the shitty companions. It is interesting how people bitch about NWN companions but fallout retards are ok lol.

Harder, yes, better, i don't see how, traveling is a pain, there's way more trash than in any ultima, it's fugly and slow to a fault.

Now, NWN companions vs Fallout ones.
The difference is is subtle, it's called Turn-Based against Real-clusterfuck with pause.
In Fallout, you have some options to manage your companions behavior and you learn not to give any SMG to your goons but even if you do, you can just stay out of the way because of the turn-based combat.

In NWN 2, on the other hand, besides playing an all fighter types party, i don't see how you enjoy micro managing your retards companions in such a clusterfuck when everyone charges at everyone.
NWN 1 is overall slightly better but not by much, camera aside (In comparison to NWN 2 camera, AoD and Wasteland 2 cameras feels quite comfortable)

barghwata

Savant
Harder, yes, better, i don't see how, traveling is a pain, there's way more trash than in any ultima, it's fugly and slow to a fault.

Fallout's combat is almost entirely made up of trash through aside from some exceptions, Underrail has way more challenging encounters.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

qlDie9K.jpg

About this...

You really don't know how to build a Fallout character, do you?
Perception + tag the appropriate ranged weapon skill (usually small guns early on), it's not that hard, really, if you miss 3 times in a row past an unlucky streak at level 1, it's on you.

Not tagging small guns early on when you go ranged and only tag energy or big guns is only for the men.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
TBH, any combat mechanic is better than TB. Sadly, Fallout is just a really great game, so I have to bear the banal-shit boring TB mechanics. RtwP is king, though. TB is for the faggot that can't think quickly and needs hours to make a move.

barghwata

Savant
TB is for the faggot that can't think quickly and needs hours to make a move.

You do realise that in rtwp you can pause and look at the screen for hours if you wanted to right? in fact it's worst you can literally pause every single fucking millisecond and take hours micromanaging the shit out of everything.

Curratum

You do realise that in rtwp you can pause and look at the screen for hours if you wanted to right? in fact it's worst you can literally pause every single fucking millisecond and take hours micromanaging the shit out of everything.

This sort of thing only crosses the mind of autists used to turn-based anyway. :lol:

EldarEldrad

Savant
TBH, any combat mechanic is better than TB. Sadly, Fallout is just a really great game, so I have to bear the banal-shit boring TB mechanics. RtwP is king, though. TB is for the faggot that can't think quickly and needs hours to make a move.
Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door, the "Trigger codex with the statement" is two blocks down."

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I don't micromanage anything. Combat runs so smoothly when I'm playing a RtwP game. I don't have to wait hours upon hours for the opponent and/or any pedestrian caught up in the TB mechanic to finish their eternal fucking move. I get into combat and out of combat fluidly. It's such an awesome mechanic. Fuck TB, it belongs in the fucking dumpster after I take a shit on it.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

MediumFemaleBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

That is funny, but the thing is, it looks stupid since a TB scenario is suppsoed to simulate a realtime event that focuses on singular moments in time. I.e. the alien in the gif, as per the realtime iteration of the situation, is "moving" and the sorldier is reacting to the situation where the alien has just come to his face, or is in close combat position already doing its own maneuvers. And hence the miss.

When the developer decides to go for up close and persona with the camera, he really should also make the combat phase based, so that that kind of presentational stupidity does not occur. Or keep the camera up in the sky and leave the events to be abstract.

That said, I don't really care about if see things like that in a game. With TB it is (almost) always about interpretation of the situation, not what's literally going on on the screen.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom