Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst RPGs All Time?

El Presidente

Arcane
Ultima 9, for sure. The biggest disappointment of all times.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
20201102_170225_compress89.png

FrancoTAU

Cipher
5.) Ultima VIII. Pagan was an interesting setting and I liked the pixelart in this game but gameplay was really bad and fiddly and the longer I played the more the story felt messed up.
Agree with everything above, but the messed up story was the highlight for me. Even ignoring the ridiculous jumping puzzles, it absolutely was not a traditional Ultima game; the Avatar basically defiled Pagan and used its destruction as a springboard simply to continue the fight with the Guardian; pretty fucking dark for the paragon of virtue!

It could've been interesting if written better. There's a way to make the Avatar having to decide between the lesser of two evils work. Instead, he just comes off like an egocentric psycho who murders a bunch of people so he can get revenge on the Guardian.

5.) Ultima VIII. Pagan was an interesting setting and I liked the pixelart in this game but gameplay was really bad and fiddly and the longer I played the more the story felt messed up.
Agree with everything above, but the messed up story was the highlight for me. Even ignoring the ridiculous jumping puzzles, it absolutely was not a traditional Ultima game; the Avatar basically defiled Pagan and used its destruction as a springboard simply to continue the fight with the Guardian; pretty fucking dark for the paragon of virtue!

It could've been interesting if written better. There's a way to make the Avatar having to decide between the lesser of two evils work. Instead, he just comes off like an egocentric psycho who murders a bunch of people so he can get revenge on the Guardian.
Well said! These are exactly my thoughts about the story. It's a shame because it could have been interesting, showing the dilemma the Avatar has to face and the sacrifices he has to make to succeed. There could have been interesting moral questions. Especially as his system of virtues already had become obsolete and antiquated in Ultima VII and he himself a relic of the past. Here he turns into a ruthless sociopath in no time without any doubts or regret for anything, this change is just too drastic to be psychologically believable.

deadmeme

Learned
Everything named Fallout
Arcanum

It seems I need to repeat my post for this nigger here.

Never play any Fallout games. Play dungeon crawlers (Wizardry). Fallout is for pussy talkers who like to pussy talk with crispy-bois in a post nuclear wasteland. What is the scariest thing in Fallout?
It is a Deatchclaw. It is basically a mutated rat. It is fat, ugly, and even worse, American. And what about that sound in Fallout? Sounds like some post-avant-garde farting music. My testicle makes better sounds when I am whopping your sister. Those pussy talker games ruined RPG games. First they simplified the gameplay and raised lots of pussy talker fudge eaters who wish they had a pip boy in real life so they can play with it in the bathtub, maps in games is such a noob friendly idea, it is terrible. Real man go into a dungeon and spent there months grinding on every corner, getting those nippels hard. Then you exit the dungeon, covered in blood, guts, sweat, tears (of joy), with a thick princess in your arms. But you don't know that, because you look at post nuclear apocalyptic ugly-ass bitches in pussy talker games. Lets make RPG-s great again. Say no to Fallout. Only wizardry IV. Remember my fellow tender gender fluid man, like my grandma said, if you die once in Fallout, you are stupid, if you die once in Wizardry, you are a hero.

OOOOOOO great one, is it possible to die in Fallout? Teach me master. I can't do it.

deadmeme

Learned
It seems I need to repeat my post for this nigger here.

This is what I get when I am trying to explain things to a Fallout Pipboy numskull. I am wandering how can you open doors every day and wipe your ass after shitting. If you were the fastest sperm that managed to fertilize your mother, goddamn, the whole family need to be put in a ZOO. I am soo happy that you are a stupid ugly ass nigga that nobody likes, that way you will not have any descendants. Your creation is an insult to Gods earth, and you should be burned at a stake with the rest of the heretics.

1) Dungeon Lords
2) Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor (IIRC this shit game had the last laugh, it corrupted/deleted my system when I uninstalled the shit)
3) 90% of all sequels

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

Unmodded its the worst RPG ever made

Modded makes it worth playing and its very good.

Bethesda really screwed up on this one and its only because of Sea Dogs fans that its even playable today. As shown in the video though it still crashes and it can be really annoying but keep in mind unmodded crash all the time and had broken quest triggers. Unmodded is borderline unplayable and the main quest is not fun hence why the mod removes it and just wholesale adds the story from the movies.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Neverwinter Nights was a laudable attempt to transfer the Gold Box engine to a multi-player on-line format, and, even if clumsy in certain respects, deserves more accolades than condemnation.

214631-neverwinter-nights-dos-front-cover.jpg
214632-neverwinter-nights-dos-back-cover.jpg

DaveO

Erudite
Come on! Let's throw in some more votes in the spirit of Christmas. I bought, played and completed Descent to Undermountain. I just might throw it into a LP, but there's going to have to be some serious encouragement/backing for me to go down that road yet again. I did join Patreon recently with my page at: https://www.patreon.com/daveo_mm. With enough monetary support, I might be convinced to do DTU.

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
Neverwinter Nights was a laudable attempt to transfer the Gold Box engine to a multi-player on-line format, and, even if clumsy in certain respects, deserves more accolades than condemnation.

214631-neverwinter-nights-dos-front-cover.jpg
214632-neverwinter-nights-dos-back-cover.jpg
Fuck me for being an ignorant zoomer, but could some grognard kindly explain to me how the multiplayer was supposed to work back then? What does "multi-player adventure brought every night of the week" even mean?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Multi-player worked via a specific on-line network service, Quantum Link a.k.a. America Online. In order to play Neverwinter Nights, you had to also be a paying subscriber for America Online, which is why the box of Neverwinter Nights touts that it "includes software to access Amera Online" and that "America Online provides other entertaining services". There were a variety of on-line networks, each offering games in addition to other services. The phrase "every night of the week" is probably only there to reassure potential customers that the network was always operational.

jZlTYiU.png
Y7l1WCn.png

Zj09NkK.png
oilY9hQ.png

Advertisements appearing in Dragon Magazine

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I used to connect to Everquest as a kid on a metered phoneline :( Until my dad got a huge bill. I washed a lot of cars.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Multi-player worked via a specific on-line network service, Quantum Link a.k.a. America Online. In order to play Neverwinter Nights, you had to also be a paying subscriber for America Online, which is why the box of Neverwinter Nights touts that it "includes software to access Amera Online" and that "America Online provides other entertaining services". There were a variety of on-line networks, each offering games in addition to other services. The phrase "every night of the week" is probably only there to reassure potential customers that the network was always operational.

jZlTYiU.png
Y7l1WCn.png

Zj09NkK.png
oilY9hQ.png

Advertisements appearing in Dragon Magazine

God i remember those GEnie adds. I always wanted to try out Gemstone game (or was there another RPG on their as well?) but never actually did it.

DaveO

Erudite
Does anyone wish to take over where I left off from my count in 2012? If not, then you all have ten days to put in your votes and I WILL retabulate. Bear in mind that this has been "brewing" since my vote count so I'm not sure what will make the list a second time. I will toss out my results from my count though in an effort to refresh the results.

:despair:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
There is no way to establish the worst RPG of all time. What would be far more feasible - and remarkably time consuming - would be to look for the worst of each year starting in 1975.

My pick for the worst cRPG of 1975 is Dungeon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom