Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
If you rift out of the Aegis camp before the 1st defense will they die? Or can you safely buy a jet and explore the non-Black Sea areas?

CHEMS

Scholar
If you rift out of the Aegis camp before the 1st defense will they die? Or can you safely buy a jet and explore the non-Black Sea areas?

If you do that you'll aggro them. It's not possible to explore the Black Sea before the defending the island quest without aggroing them.

If you steal a jet from Ray (i made a post showing how) and go to the Black Sea, the cinematic of the expedition starting without you will play and they will shoot on sight should you get near their camp.

Parabalus

Arcane
you need aegis boss permission to leave black sea. You cant get it before 1st defense.

Speaking of island defense, 1st proper wave starts quite early. I assume its done this way so that you wont rush for chip and activate defenses with high hacking & electronics. You might get permission to leave and get hit with distress call before you get a chance to sail out. While wave interval might be random, in my current playthrough it was extremally early. As result I rushed to exterminate few villager zones so that I wont be bothered with it again - was quite afraid that on dominating they might ping me to oblivion

Yeah, that's what I do too - which is annoying.

But the interval doesn't increment while you're outside the Black Sea, right? You can freely explore the waterways without it triggering.

Jason Liang

Arcane
LoC cannot be chosen before level 14, well strictly speaking level 13 where you can reach 75 in TC but who would be so stupid and play an entire level one feat short just to get LoC at 13 if that is even theoretically possible since I never even tried to jump two levels. Lying dumbfuck detected.
Can you read? I beat Lunatic Mall at lvl 12, without LoC. And you must have missed my screen shots last month.

Actually I did Lunatic Mall at lvl 8, not 12. lol

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Yaz, fair enough. I have always wanted to try a full defense build (not even sure if it is going to be any good- and no I still haven't designed it), and I will be replaying UR at some point.

CHEMS

Scholar
So i'm level 8 and i can already kill Mordre with bilocation. I'm getting pretty powerful.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
If you steal a jet from Ray (i made a post showing how) and go to the Black Sea, the cinematic of the expedition starting without you will play and they will shoot on sight should you get near their camp.
I checked, same shit happens when I ride to the Black Sea in Protectorate Cruiser. Aegis aggroes only if I get close and spotted. Visited beach, the invasion was on the way. Killed some natives - then cleared the entire Aegis camp, lol.

Yaz

Learned
You get reduced chance to get crit. Check the secondary status window. It will display it there. A very strong effect, if you ask me.

Parabalus

Arcane
If you stop the kidnapping, can you still join pirates and do you miss out on something? IIRC Cruzer dies, but does he get replaced?

Sheepherder

Augur
immediately after the world opened up I could scrounge enough Oddities to vault to level 16

I never understand, why would anyone ever do this? Is your day job not pointless and menial enough?
I do that too when playing oddity :oops:
Although it usually takes me to lvl 12-14. I mean, there are a whole lot non combat oddities available. And the oddities are right there, ripe for picking. Why wouldn't I partake in sweet sweet XP nectar?

Tigranes

Arcane
immediately after the world opened up I could scrounge enough Oddities to vault to level 16

I never understand, why would anyone ever do this? Is your day job not pointless and menial enough?
Although it usually takes me to lvl 12-14. I mean, there are a whole lot non combat oddities available. And the oddities are right there, ripe for picking. Why wouldn't I partake in sweet sweet XP nectar?

Well, instead of just playing the game, you now have to spend a lot of time dodging combat and combat-related quests going back and forth picking up the precious Pavlov pellets. So you now have a degraded experience where the game has lost some of its pacing/cohesiveness and you've wasted time on the functional equivalent of correcting errors on Excel. And then your reward is that, well, you're playing on God Mode half the time and blowing enemies out of the water when half the reason to enjoy Underrail is the challenge.

I suppose it makes more sense if you somehow enjoy the vacuum process...?

Sheepherder

Augur

Well, instead of just playing the game, you now have to spend a lot of time dodging combat and combat-related quests going back and forth picking up the precious Pavlov pellets. So you now have a degraded experience where the game has lost some of its pacing/cohesiveness and you've wasted time on the functional equivalent of correcting errors on Excel. And then your reward is that, well, you're playing on God Mode half the time and blowing enemies out of the water when half the reason to enjoy Underrail is the challenge.

I suppose it makes more sense if you somehow enjoy the vacuum process...?
I don't and that's why I mostly play classic nowadays. At least there I have to work for my XP. And I don't overlevel on classic as I don't scour the Underrail for weaker enemies to kill or grind respawning mobs. Instead I just do the fun fights that I like, one after another without periods of tedious vacuuming.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Anyway, here's one thing that came to my mind. If you buy Freighter, you can tow the submersible yourself, without calling for the bearded fellow. You can tow it freely, and I actually towed it with Todd right to the Aegis camp. Now, there is nothing preventing you from towing it anywhere - even back to the SGS. Imagine having Todd to live in the SGS, just for lulz.

Styg overlooked such opportunity, alright.

Tigranes

Arcane
Anyway, while I'm back here, is there anything in recent patches (post-Expedition release) that's created interesting build types? I've done most combinations, I think. I don't know if the psi nerfs make psi interesting to play in some new way.

Sheepherder

Augur
And I don't overlevel on classic as I don't scour the Underrail for weaker enemies to kill or grind respawning mobs.
I do overlevel - I like being ahead of the curve. Although I never grind weaker enemies or animals, that's too boring, better gimme some tough motherfuckers

Haven't played on oddity even once, lol
I recommend you give it a try at least once, just to experience it. It really is the better XP system of the two. I like it a lot.
Just that on repeat playthroughs and with metaknowledge, optimized ways to progress emerge which are degenerative. And hard to avoid, because due to the limited XP in the world, those oddities will have to be picked up sooner than later. So why not sooner?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom