Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's command Codexers in Syrian Warfare and crush Daesh

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Erm, if the tanks start going their separate way, I will gloriously follow the T55 until it gets blown up and then retreat to the other one

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You guys know your stuff much better than I do :D

But I know this. My team is not the best fighters and it is too early to look for mines or set any.

I will follow the T55s too !

ValeVelKal

Arcane
My men will move to the compound east of the three armored units. When inside, they'll make their way to the northeast building.
THREE armored units ? You really think the Al Helli's modified Toyota has any armor ? :)

In any case, Sergiu seems lost to the cause, but I trust Baud will post something. I may not 100% confident I will be able to update tonight.

ValeVelKal

Arcane

But I know this. My team is not the best fighters and it is too early to look for mines or set any.

For the record I don’t think anyone here except me played that game. Also your guys are better fighters than Egosphere or al-Helli’s militias :)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

For the record I don’t think anyone here except me played that game. Also your guys are better fighters than Egosphere or al-Helli’s militias :)

Fighting engineers?

Jesus.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Well, only missing Baud. That is what I have so far ^^. Sergiu remains put.

Actions.png

Sergiu remains put while licking his wounds.

Little known tactical approaches like units crossing each other path in the East, barely armored IFV without infantry support and instructions like "I am behind that unit until it is destroyed, then I move behind another unit" really makes commanding you guys a rare pleasure.

Endemic

Arcane
I can join Andnjord if the buildings nearby are clear. Depends on if I get shot at :P

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the advancing soldiers don't get shot at, I'll follow Andnjord to the next building to set up my machine gun. If we're getting shot at, I'll try to provide covering fire

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Heya,

Sorry I ran the game yesterday but did not find time to report yet. Spoiler : There are less loyalists soldiers than yesterday morning.

Anyway
How do wounds work in this game anyway? Can my guy bleed out or does he just have penalties?

It is nowhere in the manual, but I FEEL like by experience they fight worse when wounded.

They don't bleed out, and they need to wait a bit before they heal

I have a couple questions about the game mechanics in preparation for the reinforcements' glorious entrance onto the battle field.

I noticed you said morale doesn't exist as a gameplay mechanic, in that case are there any other mechanical effects for suppressive fire aside from whatever damage it causes the enemy? i.e. slowing the enemy rate of fire, reducing their accuracy, reducing their visibility, causing the AI to pull back to avoid it, etc...

Again, nowhere in the manual. I feel like, in my experience, units under fire in a building reduce their rate of fire, because they start crawling, and because they crawl they can't shoot from the windows anywmore :).
Units outside of buildings, I can't really say. They may shoot slower too, but I am not sure.

Ancillary question: Assuming there are beneficial effects for suppressive fire, how quickly does that eat through ammunition given the pace of the gameplay and length of the missions? For example, if you always had half your forces providing covering fire on possible/likely enemy positions while the other half advances, would you quickly find yourself out of ammunition while still only part way through the mission?
Small arms ammo you should not really run out. Soldiers never use full auto but shoot small 3-bullets burst.
For all other weapons, yeah, you will frequently run out of ammo especially since eg RPG teams use rockets liberally.

Ancillary Ancillary question: Assuming the previous two are true, are there any game commands to control the rate of fire so you can have a unit use a slower rate of fire for more sustained suppressive fire that doesn't burn through ammo as quickly?
As above, for small arms it is not needed. For heavy weapons, you can tell them to stop using weapons, or just shoot on manually designated targets.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
II. First losses

Endemic, trusting he will be supported by his buddies, moves to the group of house East :

f3LtEl6.png

A technical with a recoiless rifle moves his direction :

The technical shoots first at close range :

s2zDz0i.png

The engine stops the shell, and miraculously the BMP-1 survives :

The BMP shoots ...

Q90jA9L.png

... and one mortar shells land close enough to kill any survivor.

Endemic's crew leaves their vehicle for the most efficient field repair known by the SAA crew in 2015 : two strong kicks in the engine.

SX64q9I.png

Meanwhile the armored force is deploying according to the plan the individual whims of the tank commanders :

kZGkNXY.png

In the middle of the field, Strange Farouwd, head out of the commander cupola tank, see a militant with RPG hidden in the debris, some 5 meters from the tank !

The militant shoots, and MISS !

OPaOyJM.png

A second militant, also hidden, shoots, and MISS !

q7aR74i.png

There will not be a second try, Strange Farouwd mows one with the machine-gun, while the other is killed by al-Helli who was in support

ZFkS8ow.png

Satisfied, Strange Farouwd carries on toward the building when suddenly :

GkpGfLb.png

... certainly Allah will protect ...

drbnIX7.png

JMHNJdW.png

One crew member is immediately killed, Strange Farouwd and the gunner managed to jump out of the burning vehicle. al-Helli check their official orders "when the T-55 is destroyed, go support the T-62", so they immediately pull back without waiting for the survivors from the tank.

A bit south of the T55, al-Andnjord's squad has reached their target building, and spotted the enemy mortar position, immediately behind a wall :

vdpsjdZ.png

... there is also, hidden in one of the small flats, a team with either a RPG or a recoiless rifle :

oIX5j42.png

9sIqfez.png

Al-Andnjord second-in-command is immediately killed.

Endemic immediately avenges him by shooting in a seemingly random direction :

sJWKLQT.png

Egosphere's team reached its own target with their Toyota Hilux, and found more militants hidden in the debris, only a few meters from them...

lJppdPo.png

Their life is saved by Baud's machine gun, which fires in the general direction of the militants, who shoot, but miss and only damage the now abandoned vehicle. Meanwhile, al-Andnjord order his soldiers to move to a position where they can put the RPO into action :

fAJ1SUw.png

The militants next to Egosphere are killed, but al-Andnjord loses another man to a relentless fire of HE propelled grenades :

VoqQFqf.png

You can see here, in addition to a loyalist martyr, that Endemic had actually spotted someone suspicious when in shoot in that "abandoned" house. Terrorist ? Civilian ? Who knows ! Who cares !
al-Andnjord men shoot the RPO toward a building behind the mortar, hiding some men :

WxST8rz.png

... blowing it up totally

9WeSEsx.png

On the other side of the map, Catacomb and Taxalot move toward the building next to Dayallu's T-62, only stopping to also shoot one RPO rocket :

d673mMJ.png

7vTqqc9.png

2Nhd7nd.png

At this point, we receive some news : the Russians are going to provide air support, and a radio / air controller is provided to direct it.

Gb71HkC.png

The air supports comes in the form of either heavy bombs to take out whole building, or rocket attack to take our infantry concentration and vehicles. But the radio controller must be in visual range.

Here is the situation now :

CYCHwi4.png

Sergiu's team has fully recovered. Strange Farouwd's squad managed to retreat to the cover of a building (thanks to a massive usage of smoke grenade) and Ar-Rouksor is relocating.

On the other hand, al-Andnjord is in trouble (two angles) :

PjH2BQu.png

b8aAnyv.png

There is only one RPO ammo left, and the group with RPG and whatnot is slightly out of range.

Finally, the base defense are not doing so well anymore - a suicide vehicle is in the middle of it as I speak.

MEnNLk8.png

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
If anyone wants to take the radio controller, be my guest. Else, you will collectively have to decide where he is going.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does my sniper team have a shot at either of the squads threatening al-Andnjord? Seems like there's a guy in the open and should be visible. If so - take the shots. If not - I guess relocate to top floor of the building just to our right to see if we have a clear shot from there.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
al-Helli's orders still stand: cover Dayallu's armour from a distance with our glass cannon. It's surprisingly efficient against everything we've been encountering so far.

Can the russian see that huge building in the center? If yes Allah says that it should turn into burning fire.

Egosphere

Arcane
is my car unusable, or just slowed down by that damage?

Also, can I shoot frag rpg rounds at the building at which our destroyed t55 is pointing?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom