Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Vyadhis

Learned
I was bored and browsing gamefaqs DS forums and someone made a post saying Maximilian DOOD and Vati have said on stream that bluepoint make better Souls games than From. Wtf is this bullshit? Sounds like a troll but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them said something like that, max shilling is in.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Can you give an enemy two status ailments at once in the original? Because my Scimitar does bleeding but I also have the spell Curse Weapon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I was bored and browsing gamefaqs DS forums and someone made a post saying Maximilian DOOD and Vati have said on stream that bluepoint make better Souls games than From. Wtf is this bullshit? Sounds like a troll but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them said something like that, max shilling is in.

Maximilian is the biggest shill I've ever seen in my fucking existence. I'm a fighting game guy and I despise it when this cocksucker comes to any game and brings his retarded fanbase in tow. It's actually not bad since it's usually free wins since they are all terrible but they cling to what this dumbfuck says like it's gospel.

And not only that, he makes safe/rimjob takes all the time. People say a game like KOF 2002 UM is amazing? Oh he'll make a video about how AWESOME it is complete with soyface thumbnail. He'll play it for 2 hours and never touch it again, but I thought it was AMAZING? Surely an AMAZING game means revisiting it repeatedly for longer than a tutorial, right?

During the pre-launch of Mortal Kombat 11 he made some gay video about how sad he was that the entire roster got leaked :(! All the hard work of seeing the organic joy out the window! :(! All that fag does is bootlick to keep the free keys/beta testing coming. Has a totally phony positivity act as well.

Also his takes on the Souls series is all bullshit. You tend to know someone's taste when they unironically state Bloodborne is one of the best games they ever played in their life. This guy is like almost 40 and grew up a gamer, by the way. What a disgrace. Fuck his ilk. His wife is fat too.

Vyadhis

Learned
eXouNqU.png

The redesign looks like a goddamn World of Warcraft boss.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It was reshaped by modern devs so it's not surprised they soiled in design departmept.
I heard that these items
Can't be upgraded.
Is that true?

Maximilian DOOD and Vati have said on stream that bluepoint make better Souls games than From. Wtf is this bullshit? Sounds like a troll but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them said something like that, max shilling is in.
maybe?

DemonKing

Arcane
Enjoying this so far. It's only taken me a few tries to beat any of the first few bosses and the art and sound design are very good.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
The game plays very good, mechanically it's indistinguishable from the other souls games, it's as if From did it. The locations are absolutely stunning + it was fun to visit the locations that spawned an entire genre. Graphics are in general great and runs really well. As for some character/enemy etc redesigns, I gotta say I agree with criticism stated earlier in this thread.

As for my experience so far itself, I'm having a blast. I've cleared world 1 (up to the fog gate), 2, 4 and 5. This leaves me with 1 boss and entire 3rd world. So far, I had biggest problems in 4-2. While I hadn't had much problems exploring the 4-2 area and getting to the boss, there's so much random shit that can go completely wrong resulting in a misc death. As for the boss itself, I knew I needed the stealth spell or thief's ring but I didn't and I just wanted to force it through. Once, I got the boss to like 5% HP and then died. I raged so hard. I started trying to make it quickly and died a bunch of times in human form as I wanted the extra HP. Plus, I decided that it doesn't make sense to use the 'stones' (don't remember what they're called) to revive myself so I just invaded people. And that's how I learned about the world tendency mechanic. Once the black phantoms appeared I was no longer able to even reach the boss, even if I took things really slow. That was one the biggest gaming kicks in the balls I had in many years. I was super close to killing the boss only to end up blocking myself from him. So, just like I said in the first sentence: I'm having a blast.
:mixedemotions:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Can't play this since I cannot buy a PS5 anywhere. So I just wanted to chime in and say that indeed, Bloodborne is one of the best games I've ever played in my life.

Keeping that narrow matchmaking system means the game's random multiplayer action will die soon after the next souls game pops out (DKS, DS2, BB...).

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
We've had plenty of Souls clones and games 'inspired' by the franchise but I'm honestly surprised no one has attempted to make a full-on coop Souls clone without soapstones and re-summoning after every boss.

Shrimp

Arbiter
re-summoning after every boss
I giggled thinking some people actually play like this.

How does it even work ? You re-do every section twice so both of you can be in the same area ?
I assume that's how it works. At least I don't see any other way around it unless one person already has cleared the areas but hasn't levelled up in order to remain within the level range of the host.
Considering how many people that play with summons/friends and how easy it tends to be to get summoned during new releases I figured it'd be popular enough for a coop spinoff to achieve moderate success. Hence why I'm surprised no one's tried to make something like that.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Fascinating. I mean I don't blame them, dark souls is pretty fucking good so you might as well try and make it a coop game even though it's very blatantly not.
As for your proposition, I kinda agree now that you make me think of it. There are probably a lot of things to try by designing a coop dark souls-like game.

Derringer

Prophet
I'm surprised the remake doesn't look completely fucking horrible given it was developed in Texas while Sony of America is eating themselves alive.

Been playing this for a couple of days now and while some of the redesigns are indeed pretty shit, the game looks great overall and 60fps is of course indispensable. I have no idea why anyone would play the 30fps mode, especially when it's pretty indiscernible from the other in terms of visual fidelity.

Being one of those people who are huge From software fans ever since the PS1 days, owned the Asian version of DeS before the western release was announced, etc., I'm obviously pretty nostalgic about this game, but I hadn't played it in a very long time (10 years maybe). Since then I've played every game they put out. The only one I don't really like that much is DS3.

Replaying this, after getting past the obvious bling and the fact that it doesn't run like a dog anymore, I'm confronted with the realization that although the levels are pretty huge and atmospheric, the encounter design is quite weak after all these years. The game is also very easy compared to more recent From outings (last one I played was Sekiro and that felt incomparably harder). Maybe it's the world tendency stuff (I can't quite remember how it works), but so far I've cruised through and bosses are especially weak. I remember them being weak, but not this weak.

Anyway, this version really isn't worth paying the super premium price that it commands right now, especially if you add in the price of the console itself. It's alright and it's been cool revisiting the game from memory (I've avoided looking at the super autistic direct comparisons so far), but From has really come a long way since the original Souls design.

In fact, the strongest feeling that I'm left with after playing this remake is that it's a shame that From (or anyone really) didn't get Bloodborne running properly on the PS5. It doesn't need anything outside a 60fps unlock and an image quality cleanup (better AA mostly). Fucking lazy japs. I think it speaks volumes that I feel more like replaying Bloodborne even if it still runs like shit on the PS5 (better load times) than play the DeS remake.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Demon's souls never had an exceptional encounter design and polished fighting mechanics. It was the first game of this style that From developed, and in some areas it shows. The thing is the game was way more focused in the adventure itself than anything: The levels were very solid artistically speaking and very atmospherical, and the bosses were designed more like riddles (Once you know the trick, they became pushovers) being each one very uniqe and distinguishable. If you want polished combat just jump to the Nioh series.

Keep in mind from where we come from, this game was japanese a cult game that got very popular in 2010 and due to that it spread worldwide. It was never supposed to be this triple AAA experience that Sony is encouranging you to live with this reedition being THE launch title for PS5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom